Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Need ideas on follow up for task

mariak says:
I just started using RTM and so far it's working well for me. I was wondering what people do when they need to follow up on a task. If I call someone and they're supposed to mail me something, how can I put a tickler in so that I remember to call again if I don't receive it in a week or two? Do you postpone the task, enter a new task? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted at 3:24pm on February 9, 2007
hunkdujour says:
I keep a seperate list named "Waiting For" -- if I have a task that I've delegated or am waiting for someone else on I'll rename the task to:

{todays date}: {delegated to}: {the task}

For example:
2007-02-09: WA DOL: License Tabs for Civic

I'll also do this with rebates I've sent away for, messages left, etc...
Posted 17 years ago
mariak says:
Never thought of using it for rebates, too... great idea!
Posted 17 years ago
holroy says:
Hi there,

am I missing something obvious here, or isn't this just to add the tag "@waiting" and then adding a due date? (Hmmm... Maybe you aren't using the GTD framework? That would explain this... )

Anyway, adding a due date will bring attention to the task, and if you add a note or something you could also explain to yourself what you are waiting for before you can finish of this task.

Regards,
Holroy
Posted 17 years ago
rush.mccue says:
Hi Mariak:

I use a system to solve exactly your problem. I have one list which I call "Tickler." I make sure I put due dates for each item that goes in there.

I use a lot of different lists (one for each of my jobs/goals) but I have one SmartList that pulls in data from all of those lists AND ALSO anything from the Pending list that is due today or overdue. It's the I use and check most often. Here's what the search query looks like:

(list:PLAN or list:PRINT or list:PROCESS or (list:Tickler and dueWithin:"1 day of today") or (list:Tickler and dueBefore:"today"))
Posted 17 years ago
mariak says:
Thanks for the suggestions. I found RTM a couple of weeks ago and from here found out about GTD (going at it backwards, I guess!). I'm still reading the book, so I don't have a good handle on the framework yet. But since I'm already using RTM, I was hoping I could get some ideas from people who have been using it and GTD for a while. Hope this explains it...
Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.