Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

using RTM with significant other

caitlin.s says:
Been using RTM for a few weeks now and I love and and want to say a big thank you.

But I am having a hard time figuring out the best way to use it with my husband. I like that we can create tasks and send them to each other. But what ruins it is that I am still getting "his" reminders for the tasks I've sent him and vise versa. Email reminders are crucial for us. We aren't the type to log into another program or website to see what we need to do, but we naturally use email that way. (I think we are kind of "lazy early adopters".) Well I guess the truth is also that I am more willing to use RTM to organize all our tasks, and he is going to be happier with a daily email reminder. I wonder if there are lots of couples like this where one person is more the organizer than the other?

I understand from this forum that moving reminders to the person who is sent the task is something that is not yet supported by RTM. But what can I do in the meantime? Has anyone figured this out? I tried making a list that we shared, in the hopes that if we shared the list, we'd both get reminders for all the tasks on the list, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I have decided that the only way to do it is to log in as my husband if I want to put a task on his to do list, but this is a lot of hassle because I can't keep both accounts open at one time on my computer (I am automatically logged out even if I use two windows for the two accounts).

I wonder if anyone else has struggled with trying to figure this out and if they'd be willing to help.
Thanks,Caitlin
Posted at 10:07pm on February 6, 2007
(closed account) says:
I can't contribute much to this discussion except regarding your temporary solution. If you want to have two different RTM accounts logged in at the same time, try using two different browsers (not just two windows of the same browser). I've not done this with RTM but it works with other sites (and is the only time IE gets any action here).
Posted 17 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Caitlin, really appreciate your feedback on this. Greg's solution might work for you in the meantime, but I just wanted to mention that this is definitely an area where we hope to make improvements in the future. If anyone has tips on how they're using RTM for this scenario currently, please feel free to share :)
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
In response to Caitlin's question --- My wife does all the organizing for both of us. This type of situation is the exact reason why we have still stuck with Outlook/iCal calendar appointments despite many of the different online services (would use shared GCal but since syncing iCal or Outlook to GCal removes the reminder flag it is no good for syncing with phone). RTM seems to be the one we both like the most though so I hope this type of task management style becomes more feasible in the future.
Posted 17 years ago
aodonnell says:
Wow, that's amazing. I was just about to post a similar question. I'm a hard-core RTM user and have converted several people on my team at the office. However, my boss wants to use RTM at home. Her husband is not organized and won't log into an account. She just wants to be able to assign tasks to him so that he receives email/text reminders.

I was thinking if there was some way to assign a specific reminder email/text address to a specific task list or tag, tag being preferable. Then anytime that a task was added with that tag, the system would know to send reminders for that task to that email address.
Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.