Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Gmail Email Forwarder Rejects + Sign

(closed account) says:
Tried to use gmail to forward task@mydomain.com to the RTM complex email.

It chokes on the +, stating that + character not allowed
Posted at 3:23am on January 29, 2007
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
emagin, thanks for letting us know. Gmail usually supports + signs in addresses (they actually encourage using them as part of addresses), so I'm not quite sure what's happening here. Perhaps you could try contacting Google's support, and see if they can determine what the problem is? Sorry we can't be of more help.
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
It's not that they don't support the + character, it's that + signs get converted to spaces when clicking on mailto links or otherwise passing in a URL, thus creating an (invalid) email address with spaces in it.

I got around this by encoding the URL I am passing in with %2B instead of the plus, which worked just fine. This doesn't help with mailto: links, though. E.g., I click on my rmilk email address in Settings > Info and sure enough, gmail strips the + signs.

An ideal solution would be to have rmilk addresses that don't have + signs in them.

Thanks,

Charles
Posted 17 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Charles, are you using an extension or toolbar that's intercepting email addresses and passing them to Gmail? I believe that one of the toolbars has a bug when handling + signs in email addresses -- however if you enter the + sign directly into Gmail, it should work fine. Hope this helps!
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yes, it's the Google's own GMail notifier. It can be configured to intercept mailto links and pass them into Gmail. But like I say, it can be worked around by using %2B instead of a literal plus sign so it's not a huge problem as long as you know the solution. :)

Charles
Posted 17 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.