Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Get Offline RTM using HTML5 (like new Offline Gmail)

jef says:
Hello,

On Aug 31, 2011, Google started Offline Gmail (aka Offline Google Mail), which uses HTML5 and does not use Gears at all. On Sept. 1, Google offered Offline Google Calender, again using HTML5.

Will Remember the Milk staff develop something similar?

Pretty please with cherry on top?
Posted at 12:09am on September 3, 2011
brendan says:
Hi jef,
If you haven't already, you may want to read this post from our blog which discusses HTML5 and our plans for offline access.

Thanks for your feedback on this!
Posted 12 years ago
joseluis.vazquez says:
Any news here? I have been pro for quite a long time, and I have not access RTM during offline periods (flights etc) is a real problem if, like me, you are a very frequent commuter. I had the same challenge as a Mac user with Google mail, but now this is solved, and I expected RTM to come next but...

BTW, I know I could stick to Firefox 3.6 but this is not a realistic measure - just because of RTM. Any clues??

Thanks!
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
At this time we don't have any further announcements concerning offline access apart from the blog post I mentioned earlier.

As indicated in that post, however, this is something we're continuing to work on. Sorry for any inconvenience in the meantime.
Posted 12 years ago
ilyse.kazar says:
I'd just like to point out that any iPhone, iPad or Android owner already has offline access to their tasks.
Posted 12 years ago
mxq says:
ilyse.kazar is right. I am also using iPad. But I need bigger screen of my mac-air, when I want to review all my tasks, taking long time during my flights. In addition, fonts on iPad is too small for my not enough young eyes :-)
Posted 12 years ago
gluk64 says:
+1

you wrote that you implemented offline access with gears in just one weekend. now it's 8 months since gears is not supported in firefox anymore, and there is not progress on your side. it's very disappointing.
Posted 12 years ago
luixxiul says:
How about using firefox portable 3.6.25 with Google Gears?
There should be some vulnerabilities of both software, so I use them as a kind of standalone for RTM, cancelling auto-update, hiding all bars including the tab bar, so that I won't access any site with the browser except RTM.
HTH
Posted 12 years ago
michaelk84 says:
Another great organisation app I can't use due to lack of offline/device support. I thought I had found a winner :(
Posted 12 years ago
secretwings says:
I'm confused. In the Chrome Web Store, the description of the Web App for RTM says, under 'Key Features': "Offline access lets you manage your tasks anywhere."

So I keep trying to the launch the Chrome app when I'm offline, but I'm told the app is "unreachable". So, does the Chrome app provide the offline feature claimed in the description or not?
Posted 12 years ago
brendan says:
Hi secretwings,
The web app provided offline access via Google Gears. Google Gears is no longer supported by Google, so you won't be able to use the web app offline currently. Sorry for any inconvenience.

As mentioned above, we are looking at ways we can provide offline access in the web app using other technologies.
Posted 12 years ago
aleyzerovich says:
+1. Implement it already. I' m still using Firefox 3 because of this. I need offline access, which is extremely useful.

Oh, and I'm still using Android 2.14. Because the new 3.0 UI sucks.

What's wrong with this picture? Why is RTM usability not improving with age, but regressing, forcing me to use old technology?
Posted 12 years ago
xxjohnboy says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
xxjohnboy says:
+1 again. My connection goes down from time to time which ruins the usefulness of RTM. Of all the improvement I would like, this one is the most critical. It is black and white. Online means I can't use it when my internet crashes. This completely ruins my day. Offline would save those days. If there was decent competition for RTM i would have switched, but there isn't.. so here I am... complaining.. I like RTM but sometimes they lose my loyalty. So many ideas that just get ignored for years is a bit of a g up. And why am I ranting right now?? Coz I cannot add a bloody task to rtm with my connection the way it is right now. If only there was a better option....
Posted 12 years ago
dfm says:
+1 For what little it's worth, the lack of offline access is why I no longer use RTM. I keep coming back to see if anything's changed, but the situation never seems to improve. And with each passing month it becomes more difficult to move back if you ever do implement this, as I get more and more entrenched elsewhere. Obviously, losing one customer isn't a big deal. But I suspect I am not entirely unrepresentative. It seems strange that this does not appear to be a high priority with the folks that can do something about it. Doubly so since I, and I'm sure many others, would be willing to pay a premium for it.
Posted 12 years ago
gskutt says:
+1 for dfm's comment above.
Posted 12 years ago
gluk64 says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
grberry says:
This is why I let my pro account lapse after years of use. No good to me at all without offline access. Offline via iPhone just doesn't cut it for me. I would love to come back to RTM but without this it's not going to happen.
Posted 12 years ago
hugh.medal says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
mediaarts says:
+1

Loyal user. Don't most (all?) modern browsers support this now?
Posted 11 years ago
k.buzev says:
I am writing a book on productivity and I am selecting a PC task manager to recommend to my readers. I thought I had a winner with RTM, but clearly all the available information (besides that single post in your blog) is misleading. No offline support of any useful kind.
I don't know how many loyal or potential clients you have lost over the past 9 months, but I assure you - keep it up this way and you are going to end waaaay down on anyone's list, because you lost the single most important advantage you had against all competitors.
You have already proven you can do it. If you come out with a solution before the book gets published, I will probably recommend RTM.

Cheers and all the best!
Posted 11 years ago
rain89nl says:
Still not supported!
Posted 11 years ago
chisha says:
Hi RTM, any update on offline access? It would make a huge productivity difference to those of us who don't always have an internet connection. And as k.buzev says it's a competitive advantage as well - I've tried a whole bunch of other tools but most weren't great and for the ones that were, offline access ended up being the deal breaker.

So for now, like a few others here I'm using Firefox 3.6.25 as a dedicated RTM browser...

We know it's not ready yet, but can we at least get a newer update than the blog post from last July?

I should say the product is great otherwise, keep up the good work!
Posted 11 years ago
brendan says:
We don't currently have any additional announcements about offline access to the web app without Gears, sorry.

Thank you all for your feedback on this. Please keep an eye on our blog for any future announcements.
Posted 11 years ago
swesbroj says:
What bothers me is not just that RTM is taking a long time on this--it is that it has been completely silent on whether there has been any progress. A "we don't currently have any additional announcements" but keep on checking for updates is, frankly, lousy customer service. I get the impression that RTM, in general, is not being updated or worked on by anyone. Which means, it's only going to get more and more useless as time goes on.

So, if something is happening, please tell us. If you've decided to move on, tell us. If you want to have customers, show them a little respect.
Posted 11 years ago
xxjohnboy says:
I should follow up this post by saying that the reason it took so long to complete tasks and add them etc was that I had so many tasks. If you archive them this speeds things up a lot. I made a suggestion elsewhere that ppl with lots of unarchived tasks should get some kind of notice that this is the reason it runs slow and should be advised to archive a list.
Posted 11 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
xxjohnboy,
We'd love to hear more details about what you were seeing before archiving and afterward, if you'd like to contact us. Thanks!
Posted 11 years ago
peter.varga.official says:
+1

Offline desktop client for Mac would be highly appreciated!
Posted 11 years ago
roychristian says:
+1 for offline desktop client for Mac.
Posted 11 years ago
nathanaels says:
it appears to take terribly long to get the offline app going! This is not good, I am considering to look for something else!
Posted 11 years ago
bcfedy says:
I want to keep this topic fresh. So I'll add my +1 for an offline desktop client. The absence of offline access is truly a major deterrent from continuing my pro subscription.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
marmot4 says:
+1 for offline html5, or offline mac and windows desktop app!
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 for offline html5 or windows desktop app.
Posted 11 years ago
andreas.fritz says:
+1 for offline html5 or offline mac desktop app
Posted 11 years ago
jamag says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
roman.khrapov says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
jmachta says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
dearmartha says:
Add me to the list of users who really really want this.
Posted 11 years ago
gursoye says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
grberry says:
Any news on this? I'd love to come back and start giving you money again, but until I can get offline access I won't.
Posted 11 years ago
vivekmahbubani says:
+1 please!!
Posted 11 years ago
jp.livermore says:
+1 offline would convince me to go pro
Posted 11 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
There's a lot of +1s in this topic, so I'm going to encourage everyone to head over to the request for this on the Ideas forum; we'll be posting any updates in that topic.
Posted 11 years ago
You cannot post under this topic as it is locked.