Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Tip: Making shopping easier.

morgan.parker says:
My husband and I use a shared RTM list for our grocery shopping. Each of us can put items on the list when we think of it from either work, home or via our smartphones and whoever is doing the shopping always has an up-to-date list. It works especially well as we often stop in to pick up one or two items, but we can also see what else needs to be bought. We use the 'priority' function to separate our items into the general areas of the supermarket, to make it easier to sort through a long list.

As an added bonus, if we are shopping together we can split up and tackle the shopping from different ends of the supermarket. We 'complete' each item on our phones as it goes in the trolley so we don't double up or miss anything. It probably looks a bit strange to other people when we stand in the vegetable section staring at our phones, but it really works well.
Posted at 1:43am on June 29, 2009
bovinereminder says:
Cool! You could also post key items on sale or what the same items cost at difft. stores, i.e. comparison shopping "on the fly."

Divide & conquer!
Posted 14 years ago
sarah.whitfield says:
I totally do this. I further use tags to organize the dreaded trips to the supermarket by tagging with either "produce" "meats" "dairy" etc -- I just wish that I could sort a list by tags. Now THAT would be very helpful!
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
That's pretty much what I do - it would help if the non-iphone mobile interface were given a little love, though - 10 items per page with no "back" button is a little inconvenient. And having to click on the item, wait, click complete, wait, then click "Back to shopping list" for each item is fairly cumbersome.

I prefix each item with a number relating to approximately how far through the store it is, so stuff near the entrance is 1, stuff at the back is 2, the baked goods area 3, soft drinks 4, etc - that way the sorting means I don't have to jump around pages, and I don't have to meander around the store too much because I went past an item that was on another page.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
And yes, I think people look at me a little strangely while shopping too!
Posted 14 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hey morgan.parker,

Thanks for sharing! :) Just wanted to let you know that your tip is this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your RTM account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 14 years ago
trantjd says:
Morgan,
I'm not sure if you'll get this, but a quick question, in order for your husband and yourself to do this and both access the list, do both accounts need to be Pro or is there another way to use a shared list without sharing a single account/login?
Thanks,
Jeremy
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Jeremy,
You don't need to have Pro accounts to share lists, though it sounds like they might use their Pro status to access their tasks from their phones.

(You could use the mobile site, of course; it would depend which type of access you have.)
Posted 14 years ago