Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Planning a Holiday Party

vkhubani says:
Tis the season!

I am planning a holiday party at my house this season and the activity can get pretty hectic to manage (what to cook, what to wear, decorations, shopping, etc.). Not to mention keeping track of all of the things I need to do for someone else's party!

RTM has helped me manage my parties in several different ways:
1. I created a list for each party that I am attending or hosting
My Party
John's Party
Michelle's Party

2. I use hashtags to tell me what the task is about
#cook
#buy
#chore
#errand

3. I use locations to add all of my favorite stores and my house so that I get alerted whenever I am nearby (with my Android app)
@grocery
@partystore
@butcher
@home

And there you have it! All of my party tasks in a nice neat little gift wrapped package. Of course, don't forget to create some smart lists to help you through like:

For a quick list of things I need to buy for my party
list:"My Party" and tag:buy

For a quick list of things I need to do to prep for someone else's party
list:"John's Party" and (tag:chore or tag:errand)

Happy Holidays!
Posted at 10:17pm on November 18, 2013
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi vkhubani,

Thanks for sharing your tip! I think Bob needs to take your advice to plan all his social engagements this holiday season. :)

You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, so we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account.
Posted 10 years ago
julie.ricketts says:
Fantastic tip ... thank you! I just implemented it for my holiday planning.

One additional thing I added was to start each of my party list names w/ "Party - " and then the name of the party/occasion after that so that all of the lists are sorted into the same spot in my lists AND, more importantly, when I'm creating a task, I can just type #party and all of my party lists pop up and I can choose which one to add my task to.
Posted 10 years ago