Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Organizing your move with RTM

(closed account) says:
Hello everyone, I'm a huge fan of RTM and I use it everyday. That's why I got an idea to use it, when I moved together with my girlfriend:

I created a list called "move" and used it for all the different assignments and tasks I would have to cope with, when moving into our new flat. This includes painting, putting down a new floor, cleaning and (of course) buying a lot of new furniture.

In order to gain an overview of all the different needs for the rooms (mine were 6: kitchen, living room, hall, study room, bath, sleeping room), I started to add the tasks in a certain form:

The first term was always the room, e.g. "kitchen", then followed by the actual task (i.e. painting, cleaning etc.) or the required piece of furniture (e.g. base cabinet).

By doing it that way, I had a fluent list of all my rooms in "blocks" due to the alphabetical order of the tasks in RTM, when there are no dates or priorities.

To illustrate it:

Bath: Buy new toilet lid
Bath: Buy small carpet (max. 40cm x 60cm)
Bath: Buy base cabinet for under the sink
Bath: Clean tiles, mirror
Hall: Put down laminate
Hall: Paint walls in white
Hall: Nail the hall-stand to the wall
... etc. etc. etc.

RTM also allows to assign links to the tasks, so remembering the right piece of furniture, paint etc. was no problem at all.

Sometimes some tasks are more urgent than other ones, so what I simply did was adding a date or a priority to the task. When that was done, the list (according to its urgency) reorganized itself, so that the important tasks were on the top of all tasks, but still in alphabetical order.

That way the move was easy, fast and without any problems and thanks to RTM, we didn't forget anything and live together happily.

Best regards from Germany,
Julio
Posted at 3:47pm on February 21, 2013
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Julio,

This is a super handy tip for anyone moving house -- thanks for sharing this! :)

You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account.
Posted 9 years ago
(closed account) says:
thank you very much! :)
Posted 9 years ago