Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Use IFTTT and RTM to be more productive

sysax says:
I’ve recently discovered the awesome webservice - www.ifttt.com (stands for “if THIS than THAT”)
IFTTT uses APIs of popular services (such as twitter, FB, google reader, etc.) to make connections between them and automates actions you do with these services.
I figured out 1 recipe which could be useful for RTM lovers and want to share it with you.

I use Google Reader (GR) for reading blogs via RSS and usually do it at office during 10min rest breaks. However sometimes the reading could be so attractive and it is hard to get back to work :) To avoid such situation I use following trick:

First, you should setup IFTTT to work with RTM. Unfortunately, there is no native integration of RTM to IFTTT. However you can use RTM feature of adding tasks via e-mail. To do this, in IFTTT you should add a channel “Email” and insert here your RTM inbox email (find at RTM settings - info). Then check your RTM inbox and find a msg from IFTTT - you should paste the activation code from task’s Notes to IFTTT window.
Then you should link your GR to IFTTT - no problems are supposed to be here :)

Once GR and RTM are linked to IFTTT, let’s make a new IFTT task.
Select GR channel as “THIS” trigger and select “New starred item in your Google Reader”.
Select E-mail channel as “THAT” action and edit the subject and body of mail as you prefer (don’t forget about RTM e-mailing RTM emailing tips - https://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/email/#inbox). I stopped at following:
Subject of mail: {{ItemTitle}} #**LATER #read ^sunday {{ItemUrl}}
Body of mail - empty

In RTM I have list **LATER which acts like a bin for all tasks. I use Smart List “LAT-search” (list:**LATER and status:incomplete and (dueBefore:today or due:today)) which shows all tasks from **LATER list which are overdue or due today.

So, at office i read Google Reader in “expanded” view (only titles are shown) and mark articles which I want to read as “favorite”. Such articles are automatically put as tasks in RTM and will pop out on Sunday when I will have enough free time to read. I also can find such tasks with tag “read” when I want to spend some time on reading blogs not on Sundays.

Hope somebody will find it useful!

It would be interesting to hear your suggestions of use IFTTT with RTM (e.g., I also have similiar actions triggered when I mark an article in Readability as favorite and song as favorite in LastFM).

And maybe this thread will motivate developers of IFTTT and RTM to make the native integration between these 2 awesome services - vote for it here https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/12767/
Posted at 9:16am on March 29, 2012
sysax says:
found a typo above - I now read Google Reader in "List" view ofcourse

* didn't find the option to modify my forum post - there is no such possibility? *
Posted 11 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Nice tip, well worthy of a Tip of the Week mention!
Posted 11 years ago
IFTTT seems really useful too!
Posted 11 years ago
action.manager says:
I use Readability (and used Instapaper) for timeshifted reading.

However I still use ifttt with RTM. In fact, all my ifttt recipes involve RTM...
Mainly for updating Apps, triggered by new posts in certain RSS feeds.

It would be nice if they introduce a real channel instead of using the email import function.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
I dropped the ifttt team a tweet to ask for an RTM channel - they said that it was on their list of things they wanted to implement.

Perhaps if everyone dropped them a line, it might encourage them to move it up the list a bit?
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Done! I have several that IFTTT's that pull my bills and such from Gmail and push them to RTM with Gmail, but a channel would be super awesome.
Posted 11 years ago
judis says:
Great tip. FYI, the IFTTT folks said that an RTM channel is "on the list" so I hope that means something is coming soon. It's a great tool.

In the meantime, I created a IFTTT recipe that adds to my #watch list any YouTube video that I have added to my Watch Later list. I've tried using Pocket, Instapaper, Evernote, etc. but I find that I need a task in RTM to remind me to go to those sites. ;-) Much better to have all my stuff in one place.
Posted 11 years ago
I agree, an RTM channel would be nice. However, I guess IFTTT says "it's on our list" to almost all suggestions, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're working on it.
Posted 11 years ago
action.manager says:
Indeed; I got the same reply quite some time ago.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
This tip is great! You could also use your personal atom feed (listed also under settings) as an RSS trigger, to get different reminders or archive tasks in IFTTT sevices, like Evernote.
Posted 11 years ago
There are 33 shared RTM recipes in IFTTT at present: http://ifttt.com/recipes/search?q=RTM

Probably more if you search wider.
Posted 11 years ago
fandelost says:
Wrote the same tip more than a year ago https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/13233/
Great to see that people are finally picking up on IFTTT, great service :]
Posted 11 years ago
alexanderbudin says:
Very cool write up. I'm implementing a similar recipe with Pocket (Readitlater).
Posted 11 years ago
gstiebler says:
+1 from ifttt integration.
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 for IFTTT integration
Posted 9 years ago
roetzi says:
+1 for IFTTT integration
Posted 9 years ago
raybouk says:
+1 for IFTTT integration
Posted 9 years ago
lillgu says:
+1 for IFTTT integration!
Posted 9 years ago
blesserx says:
Posted 9 years ago
muckpond says:
+100 for IFTTT integration!
Posted 9 years ago
maksim77 says:
Posted 9 years ago
rlieving says:
+1 for IFTTT integration
Posted 8 years ago
ckdake says:
another +1 for IFTTT integration here. Especially now that Amazon Echo supports IFTTT
Posted 8 years ago
scott.burchill says:
Another +1 for IFTTT integration because I just received my Amazon Echo
Posted 8 years ago
(closed account) says:
PLEASE get IFTTT and RTM integration up and running. Super excited to see that Amazon Echo just integrated with IFTTT. Now we just need IFTTT and RTM to integrate so I can start to have my Amazon Echo add items to my RTM lists.
Posted 8 years ago
michael.blackmore says:
Can I add a vote for this since I'm getting my Echo soon and would love to connect it with RTM! :-)
Posted 8 years ago
frangilbert says:
+1 for IFTTT please.
Posted 8 years ago
cfournies says:
+1000 for IFTTT!!! will be cool to have integration with Amazon Echo
Posted 7 years ago
sierramyk says:
Came upon this thread while searching for a way to connect Echo to RTM - please add another +1 or whatever it takes!

I may have to switch to Todoist which integrates with IFTTT, and I really don't want to.
Posted 7 years ago
danielalbu says:
+1 for IFTTT
Posted 7 years ago
alexmsmartins says:
This would be a really good addition.

And if RTM took the time to do this, it would pay off in integrations with a boatload of other apps for free.
Posted 7 years ago
Come on RTM, it's time for IFTTT integration!
My son works for a start-up (Flic/Shortcut Labs) and they fixed this quickly!
Posted 7 years ago
feroliver says:
It would be nice to have IFTTT integration. I trying to find the way to connect RTM notifications with blink(1) using IFTTT and it's impossible.
Posted 7 years ago
zenistar says:
+1 for IFTTT
Posted 7 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 for IFTTT
Posted 7 years ago
jmitch5436 says:
+1 for IFTTT integration
Posted 7 years ago
fungrim says:
+1 for IFTTT
Posted 7 years ago
esellars says:
+1000 for IFTTT
Posted 7 years ago
rbutera says:
+10000. PLEASE. I want to pull some RTM items automatically to text and calendar. The RSS feed by itself is not flexible enough for what I want.
Posted 7 years ago
rcoilliot says:
up for IFTTT
Posted 7 years ago
marcelcook says:
+1 for IFTTT
Posted 7 years ago
ericmines says:
Posted 7 years ago
mayrhofer says:
+1 for IFTTT
Posted 6 years ago
danielalbu says:
Finally!
The IFTTT integration is here!
http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/post/166082174753/introducing-remember-the-milk-for-ifttt
Posted 6 years ago
Yippie!!!! The wait is finally over!
Posted 6 years ago
davidfarquhar says:
Great news. I tried the Star an email in Gmail idea out and find out a bit inconsistent. So far I've managed to create 3 tasks but I starred at least 6 mails. Any know whether this might be an issue in the Gmail or RTM side?
Posted 6 years ago
davidfarquhar says:
I take that back - its just a bit slow at times.
Posted 6 years ago
drewob26 says:
Would be great to see more triggers and actions around list creation.
Posted 6 years ago