Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Tracking my cash spending

nekodojo says:
I use Quicken for tracking my finances. Luckily my bank has everything linked up electronically, but the one thing my bank can't do for me is to tell me where the cash has gone, once I get it from the machine.

But, lately I have been using my RTM to keep track of cash that I spend, so it can get entered into Quicken sometime later, when I have the program open. I simply enter one new item on the "Cash" list, with today as the due date. Then, when I finally enter them in Quicken, I mark them completed.

These entries can be short and sweet like "Cafe 15 ^today". Or they could be longer, such as when I charge lunch on my card and then collect cash from friends (also known as "ATM by proxy"), -- these might look like "Brunos Visa 45.38 Dave 15 Devin 15 ^today". Sometimes I also enter a quick balance entry, like "On hand 43 ^today" to tell myself how much I had at a certain time.

Using this, I have gotten better at accounting for my cash spending, though there's usually a small amount of Untracked left over anyway.
Posted at 6:41am on October 20, 2010
mww315 says:
That is great. On android, I've been using Cash2QIF to track my cash in the absence of a Android quicken, but being in RTM so much more often, your approach is more natural. Thanks for the great tip!
Posted 13 years ago
pooria.joulani says:
Good Idea. Thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
anna.santos says:
great idea. I've been thinking of ways I can track my cash better.
Posted 13 years ago
gagarine says:
Great idea ... I also use Quicken, the RTM and a blackberry app Role task. I failed to implement a system that allowed me to remember all my daily expenses in cash that was reliable.

This seems to me your system very easy, fast and reliable .... I'm going to implement this system ... Congratulations and continue to share other helpful tips.
Posted 13 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hey nekodojo,

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your RTM account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 13 years ago
reacen says:
That's so nice, really
Posted 11 years ago