Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Support for tags

andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
MilkSync rocks (hard). I was just revisiting my task management practices and realized that I can't use my BlackBerry categories correctly. Since only one synchronizes with RtM's lists, they're effectively useless.

But what I don't understand is why MilkSync uses Lists instead of Tags, which are very nearly the same thing as BlackBerry's categories. That way, a task could be in multiple tags/categories and would then be filterable (via Smart Lists on RtM and Filters on BlackBerry). Thoughts? Workarounds in the short term?
Posted at 11:36am on October 29, 2008
omairsarwar says:
I've been distracted by this conundrum as well....tags = categories makes so much sense.

I'm looking at either having to completely change how i use RTM. Currently use smart lists GTD context which are my tags

Would either have to shift to individual list per tag or quit RTM altogether and go back to Outlook -- Blackberry combo

Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'm in the same camp with this one. The list to category only sync is just plain stupid. How does RMT expect people to make any meaningful input or searches from a mobile. I realise that windows mobile & blackberry only use categories but they do allow for multiple category selection. The obvious solution for RMT is to have both lists & tags syncing with categories but with a prefix to denote what the type is on the mobile device. Thoughts?
Posted 15 years ago
zombkilla45 says:
Categories = Tags not Lists! Simple as that. If I were to start synching my BB with RTM, Google would have to change the synching of categories to tags not lists. Also, I really don't like having to pay $25 to be able to sync to my BB. It's simple, if I have to pay $25 to sync to RTM, then I won't use RTM. I will stick with outlook backup and my BB tasks only. These 2 issues are keeping me (and probably many, many others) from using RTM regularly.
Posted 15 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Adrian, on your second point (which is off-topic), please see the FAQ: http://www.rememberthemilk.com/help/answers/about/cost.rtm. Simply put: resources cost money, and synchronization requires resources.

You could either write your own BlackBerry synchronization app or pay someone else to do it for you; the Remember the Milk API is free. The app is a (great but) optional service.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
right so back to topic... and i've had another rethink of this (my original idea of having both lists and tags sync to categories doesn't work). Major breakthrough: LISTS = TASK FOLDERS & TAGS = CATEGORIES... perfect..this follows an obvious principle of calendar folders sync at the google end with multiple google calendars leauing them room to future develop labels to sync with categories. That means tag sync to categories at the rtm end. Just imagine you could link up all labels/Tags which are basically categories with a whole range of google apps to make a great project outliner...all compatable with wm6 or outlook or blackberry. or rtm....gotta sell this to google and rtm asap.
Posted 15 years ago
pkahle says:
I'd just like to second the Tags = Categories, but in my case for Windows Mobile, not BlackBerry. Actually, for my purposes, Categories being both Lists and Tags would work fine (if there's a List, use the List, and (optionally) put the Tag, if there's no List, just a add a Tag)
Posted 15 years ago
rossmanith says:
Of course, RTM.Tags == Blackberry.Categories == Outlook.Categories

The RTM.Lists are rather useless anyway. I imagine RTM could easily scrap their Lists altogether. Tags can do whatever Lists can do, and more.
Posted 12 years ago
l.tulipan says:
But the BB Tasks should support the SmartAdd Syntax for things that Blackberry doesnt support directly. So Tags that i input with "#tag1 #tag2" or "=30min" for time estimates should be handled by milksync to not show up as text in the name of the Task but as the proper special fields
Posted 12 years ago
ken.campbell.canmore says:
I just want to reiterate the point that Tags should = Categories in Blackberry. I've been a paid subscriber to Pro for several years, but now that I'm implementing GTD the inability to have multiple categories carry back and forth between RTM and the BB makes it impossible to use both for GTD. If RTM fixes this, I'll be a happy camper. It will also be a big step towards ensuring GTD compliance with all BB users.
Posted 12 years ago
ken.campbell.canmore says:
andrewski - any updates on this? Any chance the rtm for BB app will be fixed so RTMTags = BBCategories instead of RTMLists=BBCategories?
Posted 11 years ago