Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Mac OS X desktop app

endlessemergency says:
I'm looking for a desktop application for RTM. I find that I usually forget about widgets on the dashboard. I'm thinking something like Twitteriffic for Twitter. If it wasn't for Twitteriffic, I would have forgotten about Twitter, and I'm afraid the same thing will happen with Remember The Milk.
Posted at 11:35pm on October 14, 2007
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
As some have noted, we launched a Mac desktop app with the new Remember The Milk.

We're looking forward to improving the app, so really appreciate your ideas and feedback! :)
Posted 7 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
You could try one of these with either the Google Gadget or the Dashboard widgets.

http://www.amnestywidgets.com/Products.html
Posted 16 years ago
wagtag says:
I also wish there was a app like Twitteriffic for RTM or something like anxietyapp.com for iCal. It would be really great to have an icon in the Menubar so it would be really easy to quickly check on tasks or add new ones. Loading up the site and logging in takes time for a quick task. I almost considered switching to iCal for todos but it can't compare to RTM. For now I just subscribe via iCal. Too bad it is one way.
Posted 16 years ago
willh says:
I'm working on an open-source app that does just that.
Posted 16 years ago
tonysteiner says:
Finally, someone! I was thinking about starting such a project, but I lack the time. Instead, I now use the Fluid app (http://fluidapp.com/), but I'm looking for something similar to Anxiety.
How is it coming along?
Posted 16 years ago
bradgarland says:
I'm also interested in this, keep us posted!
Posted 16 years ago
arr says:
A twitteriffic like app would be perfect
Posted 16 years ago
aoberoi says:
im also really interested in seeing this put together! whoohoo!
Posted 16 years ago
joeschueller says:
As a GMail (for domains) user, the visibility of my list is never a problem, and using the QuickSilver plugin makes item creation simple, elegant, and without disruption.
Posted 15 years ago
digitalrob says:
I'd also like a small app. I use QuickSilver, but I find that it often interprets dates incorrectly, and I still have to go back to RTM to add tags, places, URL's, etc.

BTW, I'm sure the date thing is my fault. I'm pretty certain I haven't been using the correct formatting.
-Rob
Posted 15 years ago
jpcody says:
@digitalrob...so long as you use the international form (1 April 2008), you should be fine.

@willh...any news?
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I would -love- this. Definitely echoing the wish of a Mac application for RTM that looks and functions somewhat similar to Anxiety (http://www.anxietyapp.com/) or Twitterific - more so for Anxiety. At the moment I just have the RTM plug-in for Gmail, and iCal and Google Calendar integration - all of which aren't really want I am looking for in RTM use. :| Desktop application = would be amazing.

If this was created and made to work for RTM Pro accounts only, I would upgrade in a heartbeat - currently holding back on upgrading until I procure an iPhone.
Posted 15 years ago
garret.heaton says:
I'd also love a simple desktop app! Something to replace that sticky note I always keep open with high-priority tasks in it.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Anything new on this?
Posted 15 years ago
dexter says:
Things (http://www.culturedcode.com/things/) and other new task management / GTD apps should really start to offer RTM sync options.
Posted 15 years ago
chrisjernigan says:
Would love to know if there is any progress on a desktop app for OS X?
Posted 15 years ago
vanilla8 says:
I think a desktop application would be perfect and THINGS is certainly one to look at for inspiration. I think a paid-for desktop app and native iPhone app together with a free web-based service, all of whom could sync with each other would be the perfect task management suite.
Posted 15 years ago
ceejaysmith says:
Hey guys, you can easily have your own standalone app for RTM by creating a SSB (Site specific browser) using Fluid.

http://fluidapp.com/

(Leopard only.)

It works great.
Posted 15 years ago
owengot says:
it's not quite the same with fluid app or a widget since these need connect to the internet. with a tool like anxiety you could acces your to do's at any time and on the next sync rtm will be updated. much more conveniant than a ssb imho :)
willh, anything more you can reveal on the open source project?
Posted 15 years ago
dimitrilw says:
Chalk-up another vote for a native app that syncs to the web. Right now, I eagerly await such a program before I really switch to RTM. I tested using RTM in place of my current desktop GTD application; it was frustrating. Google Gears + the Quicksilver plugin come close, but no cigar. A native app is critical for the hardcore task-aholics. I would pay for such an app and upgrade to Pro.
Posted 15 years ago
dimitrilw says:
Does anybody have any updates on a desktop GTD application that syncs to RTM?

Note: RTM on Google Gears does not fill the gap because it is slow to load and lacks an offline quick-entry form.
Posted 15 years ago
desenso says:
Man, how great would it be if Cultured Code offered RTM syncing. *Dreams.*
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
If we had a native app I would start actually using RTM in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, willh seems to not be listening. If you see this, I would be delighted to be involved in any kind of beta anything. Pleeze?
Posted 15 years ago
desenso says:
What did you expect? Not even a pro user — probably didn't take the project very seriously to begin with. It's easy to "work" on something, but it takes commitment to ship a decent app.

I'm a little surprised we haven't seen some RTM staffers in here, though. Clearly there's demand.
Posted 15 years ago
ben.teese says:
The new native iPhone application looks great. Sure beats the web-based app, and first impressions are that it beats Appigo's Todo as a native iPhone RTM client too.

I hope the next step is a native Mac OS X application. No offense but the web-based interface just doesn't cut it for me in day-to-day usage. The RTM team obviously know how to do UIs, but web technologies are only going to take you so far.

I'm only using RTM because it provides the best traditional task management system that syncs across a desktop (albeit via a browser) and the iPhone. Apple don't seem in a hurry to provide decent Todo-list syncing between Mail and the iPhone. And Omnifocus doesn't support priorities.

To be perfectly honest, if/when Apple improve Mail Todo lists to sync to the iPhone, or Omnifocus start allowing priorities, I'd likely move away from RTM in it's current state.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'd like to see one as well.
Posted 15 years ago
mkaub says:
Definitely want that too !!!!

I am happy with the new iPhone app and use RTM with Fluid.app on my Mac, BUT I really like something native on my desktop.

I love RTM for getting all my to-dos into a system - but I need something visual pleasing on my desktop to motivate me to get the tasks done and out and ideally have a very flexible user interface to define my views of tasks.

RTM has helped me to collect all the things I need to do NOW I hope it will help me with a nice dashboard to make me work on them.

Thanks !

PS any other mac apps that sync with RTM ?
Posted 15 years ago
filipvisnjic says:
Posted 15 years ago
bluehorns says:
upz! i wonder if the developer is reading this...
Posted 15 years ago
conundrum says:
Tasque (http://preview.tinyurl.com/9tgu66) is a fantastic little app written in C# for Mono that syncs with RTM. It runs pretty well on OSX, but is still beta quality.

A native Cocoa app would of course be better, but Tasque certainly gets the job done.
Posted 15 years ago
chiefmoamba says:
Is anyone working on one?
Posted 15 years ago
hansengel says:
I think I'm going to try to make one. Just need to get this API key approved first..
Posted 15 years ago
anna.neville says:
I am looking for one of these too - love the idea of RTM, but find Anxiety so easy and as it's always there I actually pay attention to it!
Posted 15 years ago
sigamy says:
hansengel,

Please make a simple, beautiful Mac client for RTM...something like Things or The Hit List.
Posted 15 years ago
hansengel says:
Already on it, sigamy :) I've got the user interface pretty much finished and the code is ready. No API key, still, though.. I posted on the mailing list to see if I might've been denied a key :/
Posted 15 years ago
sigamy says:
hansengel: looking forward to seeing your app. please make sure it allows for due date and time. I like to add times to all to-do items so I can get SMS reminders on phone.

let me know if you need testers.

Posted 15 years ago
graham.berks says:
Count me in as a tester if you need help
Posted 15 years ago
jashsayani says:
Here's an AIR app that will work on the Mac: http://www.jashsayani.com/my-softwares/remember-the-task/

Posted 15 years ago
lancastercomputers says:
spot on works fine!!
Posted 15 years ago
sciamachy says:
Something like google notifier would be perfect: it'd sit in the menubar, with a count of today's unfinished tasks, and would give you a list of them in a drop down menu, similar to the Google Calendar functionality in Google Notifier. Heck, if you could get your heads together with Google & get them to integrate it, that'd be well cool.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
the AIR app works beautifully! thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
sigamy says:
I can' get the AIR app to go to the background...does it always have to be the foreground app?

Posted 15 years ago
conundrum says:
Any news on your API key, hansengel? I'd also be more than happy to contribute to testing the finished product.
Posted 15 years ago
bluesgeek says:
Yes, yes, sitting up there in the menu bar next to google notifier. That'd be sweet!
Posted 15 years ago
bluesgeek says:
Actually, looking at notifier, the calendar events are overshadowed by my lists items... the price you pay I guess for linking RTM to gCal.

Also, I really don't like the way Remember the Task makes you install it and the AIR app from the website. I prefer a download.
Posted 15 years ago
I keep thinking the key to using RTM on the desktop, offline, is to get two-way iCal syncing working, which would let you use any app for the Mac that taps the Mac's native calendar data store.

Much more on this thread here: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/1673/
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
One more vote for a native RTM mac client, but please mac it standalone! The main reason I'm a RTM user is that i use entourage (for scores of reasons - work being one) and while i love it, it's task management is abysmal and won't sync over exchange. Thus the RTM pro account. So, please help all of us out by giving us a lightweight desktop app (or something that sync's with RTM).
Posted 14 years ago
blaenk says:
Yeah, a native RTM client for Mac would be really helpful. I'm contemplating getting Things instead since there isn't any client for RTM.
Posted 14 years ago
silvermilk says:
An RTM for MAC app would be great!
Posted 14 years ago
hotcha3 says:
Please someone make a simple MENUBAR app for Mac !!
Posted 14 years ago
@hotcha3 - If you don't need offline access, but crave a menubar app, check out Fluid.

http://fluidapp.com/features/
Posted 14 years ago
freenerd says:
Fluid works great and with Google Gears you also have offline access. I don't need a dedicated Cocoa version.
Posted 14 years ago
hotcha3 says:
Hi,

ranbarton, thanks for your help.
i currently use a "desktop app" made with fluid, but is it possible to do the same with fluid but on the menubar ?
I just find much more productive to have the todos on the menubar at 1 click away, without having to open a window all the time....

Thanks alot
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
hotcha3, yeah you can do this. Just create a fluid app for the iGoogle RTM webpage https://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/modules/googleig/, then open it, and select "Convert to MenuExtra SSB..." from the main app drop down menu. It then puts the app in your menubar.
Posted 14 years ago
hotcha3 says:
Thanks alot odelaney.
I'll try that tommorrow from my imac (right now i'm on a PC).

Posted 14 years ago
l_h2o_l says:
Anything new about the Desktop app for OS X ?
Posted 14 years ago
chrillo.at says:
I am currently making an air application that will go in public alpha about next week. see this thread.

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/7477/

it will have a dynamic doc icon, can run minimzed in dock and has online offline sync, so even though it is based on adobe air it will behave quite like a native application.

Posted 14 years ago
sigamy says:
Looking forward to testing your app.
Posted 14 years ago
davidtesler says:
Please, please develop a mac based desktop app - it would make a great program the industry leader - the web based way to access it is weak
Posted 14 years ago
chrillo.at says:
I just released the another updated version. the app has progressed greatly since I first posted it here. it has a new UI, improved online offline sync and features advanced search like on the rtm website.

please check it out at www.chrillo.info/applications/appforthemilk/
Posted 14 years ago
abdalla.2 says:
chirillo: Are you planning on releasing source for this? If so, and you have a cvs/svn repo, post it on your site and you should get some help with bugs.

I can't guarantee a lot of time, but if there's a bug I can help with, I'd definitely be up for submitting diffs...
Posted 14 years ago
chrillo.at says:
I currently do not plan to release the code before the app is at least at version 1000 - I still need to clean up to many things and it would be very hard for an outsider to understand what I did - there is no commenting etc... I certainly want the app to be free and I also would share the code publicly when it reached a certain level or maturity but I am not there yet.

I really appreciate any help I can get, so if you have any bugs to report please post them on my site or just send me an email and we can work it out directly. If you have any AS3 experience you can also have a look at the code at its current messy stage.

Posted 14 years ago
jswadley says:
chrillo.at: Great app! Thanks for your work.
Posted 14 years ago
leah.shalom Power Poster says:
chrillo.at

I too like your app. I have a bug to report - - I tried the updated app last weekend and had difficulty with syncing my tasks. I had the app refresh all (removing everything in the app and pulling only from the RTM website) but it didn't work and some of my repeating tasks on the web app ended up getting completed with the repeat removed. I am not 100% sure the repeat problem came from what I did in your app, but they might be connected.

Thanks!
Posted 14 years ago
carter600 says:
I downloaded the widget and authorized it. when It comes up it just keeps, 'thinking' and doesn't connect. any help anyone?? Thanks.
Posted 14 years ago
stvchu says:
Sync with Things (http://www.culturedcode.com/things/) +1
Posted 14 years ago
andrewthrelfo says:
My main problem with RTM is the UI. It isn't terrible, but it isn't brilliant either (this goes for the iPhone app as well). If both the iPhone app and a Mac app had an elegant, simple interface like Cultured Code's Things that would be fantastic.
Posted 14 years ago
anant.shiva says:
the RTM desktop client needs to look like Things. seriously.

it drives me mad coz Things is so beautiful and just *feels* good to use but lacks all the great features of RTM. and RTM is a work of genius but the web UI is icky.

I've been a RTM user since forever and even became a Pro member. I love you guys. but can we please have a desktop app? like Things?
Posted 14 years ago
sigamy says:
anant,

couldn't agree more. I've been following Things and Appigo's Todo for the iPhone. I went with Todo due to syncing with RTM. When Things was trying to figure out how to accomplish sync between the desktop and iPhone I couldn't believe that they just didn't jump on board with RTM and go that way.

We'd then have the best combination of beautiful, easy to use desktop app with all the power and convience of having our data in the cloud on RTM.
Posted 14 years ago
sigamy says:
chrillo.at:

I haven't used your app in a few weeks so I may be mistake but its it possible to filter out the list of items? For exmaple, I have a list called "All Groceries", I never want to see items from this list on the main screen. It doesn't seem possible in your app.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Another good to do application is "The Hit List." I actually really like the interface and ease of use. I definitely think there should be a RTM native app. Applications like Fluid are buggy and I've had a lot of hit or misses with other web-based applications. A native application makes things cleaner.
Posted 14 years ago
edbelsey says:
try using fluid to make a SSB
Posted 14 years ago
jgallen23 says:
I've build an app that is very similar to Anxiety but uses remember the milk. You can get it here:
http://jga.me/tagged/MilkMaid
Posted 14 years ago
Thanks for the link, jgallen23. I have downloaded it and will try it out at home this evening.
Posted 14 years ago
acepelon says:
@jgallen23- this might sound elementary, but how do you complete a task in Milkmaid?
Posted 14 years ago
davidtesler says:
Are you guys working on a desktop app for mac?
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Come on guy's make this mac app
Posted 14 years ago
ephemeron says:
Mac developer here, what would people be willing to pay for a Mac GTM client? I'm considering it...
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
Depends on the features, honestly. If you could make something at the level of Things, I would pay about $50 for it. If it's just something like App For The Milk, I wouldn't pay a dime.
Posted 13 years ago
cweyant says:
ephemeron - I'd pay $10-20 depending on features.
Posted 13 years ago
markbao_old says:
+1 - I'd be willing to pay $10-20 too.
Posted 13 years ago
acherry says:
MilkMaid seems like it's about 75% of the way there for a Mac app, though it doesn't give you the ability to edit, view or add details of a task, such as location or notes.
Ultra-bonus: It's free and open source!
Maybe I'll hack at it when I'm feeling like procrastinating from real work.

Speaking of procrastinating from real work, I discovered RTM from this article:
http://www.marcandangel.com/2010/02/08/29-semi-productive-things-i-do-online/
Posted 13 years ago
gidgidonihah says:
MilkMaid is cool, but it's not quite what I want.
I would kill for things to be able to sync with RTM. That would just be the bees knees.
Posted 13 years ago
pglefeuvre says:
ephemeron,

i think this would be a very worthwhile application, but i honestly think you should include it in the pro version of what you offer. Evernote has web, phone, and desktop applications that are fully functional and sync between themselves, and that is a free app. RTM is quickly becoming my favorite app, and will eventually upgrade to pro when my beta test period runs out (for the iphone app). being able to manage tasks offline in a simple functional desktop application would make this app one of the best on the internet, imo. That being said, if you did charge for it, i would probably buy it. Keep us updated on development schedules and etas!
Posted 13 years ago
scharnout says:
I would love to see The Hit List as my frontend for RTM. You guys complete each other. You are online and iPhone. He has the app (but not really actively programming it)
Posted 13 years ago
sergio_101 says:
okay.. i am really putting some thought into this.. and i am getting ready to possibly move on this..

i am just trying to figure out if this is something that would best be done using cocoa as a mac app.. or using qt as a cross platform app..

i have started thinking aloud here:

http://www.codingforhire.com/blog/The-Perfect-GTD-System

i would be interested in everyone's thoughts..

thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
mitch.haile says:
I would pay up to $100 for a Things-like UI that synced with RTM.

I love the Things UI, hate the backend.

Bonus for an Outlook 2007 plug-in as well, but having a good native Mac UI is more important to me, since I never use Outlook where I don't have a Mac.
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
I sign up for a $50 native OSX desktop application like Things.
Posted 13 years ago
sergio_101 says:
my biggest fear is that while Things is a great app with a simple yet elegant interface.. could i get into trouble if i developed an application that looked too much like Things?
Posted 13 years ago
jsejcksn says:
RTM staff. If you guys developed a mac (and win?) desktop client and made it free, but only allowed it to access the site if you were a pro user, soooooooooo many people would become pro users.
Posted 13 years ago
plugawy says:
I know it's a little bit early, but I started working on an OSX desktop client for RTM.

I want to support basic features in the early version, and see how it goes ("how" really depends on how the app will be received).
Posted 13 years ago
jsejcksn says:
Do you plan on making this software proprietary or open-sourcing it? If it's the latter, I'd be glad to contribute if you'd post it on Google Code, Sourceforge, or GitHub. I am a designer but would love to help.
Posted 13 years ago
amen.hamdan says:
I guess the overall demand for a desktop app is rather low. The desired feature set would require significant development effort and I doubt that RTM will be wiling to spend it. If you just need a desktop companion, check app for the milk (well crafted AIR application) or try CoffeeMilk (Java and runs on all platforms that support Java 1.6 including MacOS) available for free at http://code.google.com/p/coffeemilk/.

And yes, I would also like to have a RTM desktop app like Things (but cross platform) - you may still have dreams! :-)
Posted 13 years ago
llorban says:
Same here - a Things-like UI would be superb & would pay for it
Posted 13 years ago
seancollier says:
AppleScript support would be amazing! My workplace uses a trouble ticketing system that sends me an email whenever I have an assignment. I could easily write an AppleScript to import this email into RTM Desktop.
Posted 13 years ago
janvanderploeg says:
@plugawy: nice, i'm looking forward to it.
Posted 13 years ago
kneeland says:
If only Things could sync with RTM
Posted 13 years ago
markmiller66 says:
Not sure if this was suggested but since there is an RTM iPhone app, could it easily be ported to the Mac and released in the app store? I realize an almost direct port would make for a rather thin, unfeatured app, but it might be a good start to get comfortable in developing and releasing a mac app. Perhaps investigate offer the app for free for Pro users as an incentive for others to upgrade?
Posted 13 years ago
itscoley says:
Things is currently making a cloud syncing service. I would have much preferred RTM support. :/

I really would like a mac app. A web app is good for some things - but it feels intrusive to have to go to my web browser to add a task. I dunno? Does anyone else feel at all similar?
Posted 13 years ago
itscoley says:
(Going to web browser to add a task on the mac)

I know you can SMS, E-MAIL, etc etc.
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hey guys, when is the mac app arriving? I see other less powerful tasks apps in the app store, I don't want to change!
Posted 12 years ago
mrathee says:
absolutely 100% for this -

been using Fluid and 3rd party apps and they just aren't the same.

RTM is a part of my every day life and i spend a good portion of that in front of a few different machines. A desktop app would be fantastic
Posted 12 years ago
lasthunter says:
I think you can re-use most of your codebase from iPhone and iPad and native Mac app would be great - look at Reeder for example, how it takes advantage over web-based Google Reader :)
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
I voted for the Mac app but if that's not possible, perhaps some tweaks to the website would make it more intuitive and function more like an app?

Personally, I prefer the RTM iphone interface over the website. There are important indicators missing from the website that are present in the iPhone app that I really like.
Posted 12 years ago
sarelvdwalt says:
Definitely would like an app for the mac... offline storage so that you can add tasks etc and when it sees a new network it uploads.
Posted 12 years ago
wyssdaniel says:
The problem ist: Google Gears is death. The Interface of RTM online is great. But sometimes you haven't Internet Connection. Then you need a simple UI like RTM Online. Or the iPad App?! Something like this on Windows or Mac (for me Mac) is a keyfeature!
Posted 12 years ago
karis612 says:
If use Adobe Air, it will be used in any platform. And using RTM APIs, somebody could develop a desktop application supporting "dependencies", "sub tasks", and etc using "tagging". By the way, I want this version developed by RTM team.. 'cause, they're good :)
Posted 12 years ago
tallpjt says:
Please, for the love of all that is holy, build a Menu Bar app for Mac OS. It's as if RTM was BUILT for this.

Or, just tell the folks from Calendar Bar to integrate for you. :-)

http://cleancutcode.com/calendarbar/
Posted 12 years ago
stamura says:
I am using another AIR app, App for the milk.
http://www.chrillo.info/apps/app-for-the-milk/

Pros
* I open it on the right side of iCal and it works great generally.
* It is really easy to change the due date.

Cons
* List is sorted strangely. It used to be sorted alphabetically, but it is just confused.
* Tag cannot be specified when we add task. It can be entered in the task edit window.
* It would be great if they can make lines between tasks of "Today", "Within a week", "Within 30 days" and "In more than 30 days" bolder. (Like "All Active" list of Informant for iPhone/iPad.)
Posted 12 years ago
nguyenlocduy says:
I like the 'App for the milk' app, it's simple and nice. But I think an official app always the right way to go. I also think Desktop App is a must have. Love to see this app in production.
Posted 12 years ago
tinycg says:
port the amazing looking ipad app to the mac app store, that's all I'd need :)
Posted 12 years ago
alessandro.martins says:
Anyone knows if CalendarBar works great with RTM iCal address?
Posted 12 years ago
thedoson says:
AND FOR LINUX TOO

sorry for the capslock :)
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Personally, I think the web app is amazing and highly functional. The functionality is universal and with the number of integrations offered by RTM I would far sooner see attention focused on other development areas.
Posted 12 years ago
mir_lww says:
The web app is functional enough,especially using with "chrome app mode".
Posted 12 years ago
kelake says:
Here is an efficient way to integrate RTM with your Mac: Alfred, Remember the Milk http://ruk.ca/content/alfred-remember-milk
Posted 12 years ago
elisabethericson says:
Was just coming here to say I'd like an effortless keyboard shortcut for entering tasks without opening the web app (I have too many tabs open at all times for that to be practical). I already have Alfred installed, so this should be a seamless adjustment. Thanks for the link, kelake!
Posted 12 years ago
timjph says:
Since google gears has vanished, this has become really important. The benefits of RTM being cloud based are lost if you can't access/update your tasks when offline (i.e. on a plane). With gears it was possible to do this in the web browser - no more.
Posted 12 years ago
webkenny says:
The web app leaves much to be desired. Trying adding more than 3 rows of lists, smart lists, searches, etc and it quickly becomes apparent that RTM should not be using Tabs for the interface. They desperately need a refresh honestly. I now basically only use the iPad app.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Just want to add emhasis to this: An RTM app för the (OS X) desktop is vital.
Posted 12 years ago
philippgerard says:
+1 for a native Mac desktop app to add, edit and manage your tasks.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 for a native Mac desktop add, like the iPad application.
Posted 12 years ago
ivanslovin says:
I agree an RTM App for OS X would make the whole product suite complete
Posted 12 years ago
xkickflip says:
I tried RTM a couple years ago but couldn't stick with it as just a webapp. Trying again thanks to the iphone app, but with google gears no longer supported in the latest Firefox, I'm really missing an OS X native app.
Posted 12 years ago
leifarthur says:
I use the RTM iPad and iPhone application and I would love to see a native OS X app as well. The web interface is pretty good but in general I'll take the native app over the web version any day (except when not at my own computer :-)
Posted 12 years ago
pmoelgaard says:
the lack of native desktop app is making me constantly on the lookout for alternatives, had there been a native desktop I wouldn't have to do that.

+1
Posted 12 years ago
manish.remember says:
+2
Posted 12 years ago
dominic.spachmann says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
sanjuz says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
tallpjt says:
Until an app is created, here's a really cool trick (some of which was mentioned above):

Download Fluid and create a custom app:

Use http://i.rememberthemilk.com for the URL
Use this icon: http://tylersticka.com/wp-content/uploads/rtm_128x128.png

Voila, a custom Mac app!!!
Posted 12 years ago
tjasper says:
Or improve the web app!
Posted 12 years ago
ericsw says:
+1 for a native Mac app that has offline capabilities. Offline with sync would be THE reason to build a native app. Many people (myself included) have intermittent online access. I would pay for a Pro account for this.
Posted 12 years ago
nathaniel.lewis says:
Any way you can bring the (excellent) iPad app to the desktop??
Posted 12 years ago
brslick says:
Agree with nathaniel.lewis! You've got the codebase for the iPad app... I can see it easily translating to the Mac the way Twitter brought over the iPad app to the desktop. Please :)
Posted 12 years ago
berdem says:
+1 for a native Mac OS X app.
Posted 12 years ago
nguyenlocduy says:
This is a must have for sure!!!
Posted 12 years ago
kriskhaira says:
Must-have! I'm on the verge of switching and to an improvised GTD system using EVernote because of the lack of an offline RTM client for OS X. If you can make an offline app for Android and iPhone, why can't you make one for the Mac?
Posted 12 years ago
presence says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
bbhatti says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
elemorvan says:
+1 ...it would make things that much easier
Posted 12 years ago
petelawley says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
jelykins says:
I love RTM but hate the web UI and would kill for a Mac app like the one for iPad. +1 from me, too
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
No seriously I do not understand why you guys chose not to develop an integrated desktop app for mac.

Most of the time we forget to open RTM and this completely defeats the purpose of using RTM in the first place.

At least make a chrome plugin that is similar to Rockmelt (for facebook).
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
@tallpjt

I tried the fluid method and it really is no different than opening an webpage. I think we are talking more about native desktop alerts without us having to manually open the homepage in the first place.
Posted 12 years ago
nordender says:
+1
Come on, this Web App urgently need a refresh! It really looks a bit like the nineties....
Posted 12 years ago
dominic.spachmann says:
I would appreciate the iPad App being transferred to Mac OS for starters. Maybe this framework can help? http://chameleonproject.org/
Posted 12 years ago
joshualhickman says:
Yes please just like the iPad app, just got a 27" new iMac, i need to remember things on there too!
Posted 12 years ago
edmundf says:
+1!
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
cbrynt says:
+1 - web is worst part about this program
Posted 12 years ago
cbrynt says:
+1 again because I'm a pro user!
Posted 12 years ago
tjasper says:
+50000 because i really want it
Posted 12 years ago
raphael.lorenzeto says:
+1 Using the dashboard isn't a good alternative. I need an ipad-like app running on my mac so I can mail important links to follow up to RTM and then easily read them. Almost all my tasks are executed on my desktop and the web interface is not that good.
Posted 12 years ago
kevgan88 says:
Hey guys there is a program out there called Milk Maid. http://sourceforge.net/projects/milkmaid/

it syncs to your milk maid account. I don't think it can save anything on your computer though, its just a direct app to the website.
There is also a version for MAC as well. just google for it.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 to this idea.

With Growl notification, its a killer reminder tool :-)
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Actually, the dev team should look into adobe AIR.

TweetDeck has done an amazing job fyi
Posted 12 years ago
calvinwang says:
+1 Desktop client please!
Posted 12 years ago
milkiglo says:
Workaround: OSX Universal Task Add

While we wait for a Mac App I would like to share a workaround for a feature at the top of my list: Universal Task Add

Setup:
1. Set up RTM with you twitter account
2. Download and install Twidget.

Add Tasks:
Launch Dashboard, direct message RTM, type your task
or,
F12, d rtm "your task name"

-Twidget will already be selected if you used it last. So no need to hunt and peck with the mouse. Smart Add works for this too.

Links:
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/twitter/
http://gettwidget.com/
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/smartadd/
Posted 12 years ago
felixc says:
With the ability to create a standalone app with site-specific browsers like Fluid (for Mac) I don't need the dedicated Mac app as much. This allows you to alt-tab/command-tab over for quick access to RTM. Still, a dedicated app would be nice. :)

What I really need for RTM is a quick-entry and clipping tool like what Omnifocus and Things provide. That tool is so handy where you can highlight something, hit a key combination and then it brings it in and creates a task automatically. Much more efficient than all of the cut-and-pasting required currently.

In the GTD world, this is about making the Collection phase as easy as possible.

Posted 12 years ago
btronn says:
Something that works just like the iPad app would be very cool. You could use the trackpad gestures to move through the app just like you do on the pad. After using such a beautiful interface, the web app makes me want to cry.
Posted 12 years ago
johnlauck says:
An app similar to the Fantastical interface would be perfect! I just want a quick way to enter and see my lists.
Posted 12 years ago
yksk says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
davidtesler says:
I would pay One Million Dollars for a desktop app
Posted 12 years ago
phill.hardstaff says:
OK, I am way out of my depth here so no flames please. This is just a sugestion. I love the iPad app, it is great, I could see it working on the Mac with minmal changes, ie just drop all the sliding parts, make them fixed and you are pretty much done (as far as the UI goes). But, how to get the iPad app to the Mac ? Has anyone used this ?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/03/open-source-chameleon-project-aims-to-ease-porting-ios-apps-to-mac.ars

http://chameleonproject.org/

It will still take some effort but might be a way forwward ?

Posted 12 years ago
gene.sigalov says:
seriously, its about time.
Posted 12 years ago
sabroderick says:
i've been a happy RTM pro user for more than a year now. i'm actively considering dumping it though 'cuz there's no good OSX desktop solution. it pains me to consider it :-( :-( :-( . i use the iPad app - would love to see that hack-ported to OSX.
Posted 12 years ago
mandeep.wasu says:
Mac Desktop please. RTM is everything a small business [mixed mac & windows environment] needs to bring everyone in team -12 people] on same page, please help by launching the Mac App.
Posted 12 years ago
jchiar says:
Please bring on a desktop app that syncs. These web hacks dont work well.
Posted 12 years ago
klagreca says:
We need a Mac App. Must be easy to use and fit the Apple UI standards
Posted 12 years ago
jana.bouma says:
We need a desktop app for Windows as well. The developer of App for the Milk is no longer supporting that gadget. I haven't been able to get other available add-on gadgets to work properly. I don't need an I-phone or an Android. I just need to have RTM on my desktop when I get up in the morning!
Posted 12 years ago
newmilkentry says:
I'd like a desktop app for RTM. The benefits would come from the integration with the operating system - things like email and web clipping, quick task entry and right-click functions. It would also mean I would have a desktop backup for my vital data.
Posted 12 years ago
newmilkentry says:
Furthermore, a desktop app would allow the possibility of greater consistency with the iOS apps. For example, at present, due tasks on the web interface show in bold text, whereas on iOS they show with coloured dates next to them.
Posted 12 years ago
jardines says:
Yes, a Mac App please!
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
cmartinjcm says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
aklein3876 says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
andy.marcoux says:
YES YES YES. The iPhone RTM works great. Make it for iMac PLEASE!
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 for native desktop app please
Posted 12 years ago
dcernst says:
Pretty please with sugar on top.
Posted 12 years ago
hkas says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
I would love a RTM desktop UI for Mac. I've been a pro member for 3 years and would stay here another 7 with a desktop UI As it stands, I've been investigating other services with better desktop apps.
Posted 12 years ago
nrhjohn says:
Since Gears is being deprecated how are we supposed to perform offline task management on our laptops? What is the plan, is there one?
Posted 12 years ago
ravolar says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
mactuxman says:
Hey guis (and girls), four years of discussion and no app yet?
I wish I could program one for us.
But I just found this here:
http://www.creativeapplications.net/iphone/10-must-have-tools-for-rememberthemilk-on-the-desktop-webapp/

Cheers
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
eyalw says:
I'd love a native RTM app, with a RTM look and feel. I don't like the Air version.
You have done a beautiful job with the iPhone and iPad app.
now just complete the full cycle with a desktop app :)
Posted 12 years ago
aljoscha says:
+1 for a native mac desktop app
Posted 12 years ago
pcf111 says:
Same here. Come on, you are talented programmers - how hard can it be to create a simple desktop app with offline functionality for Mac? I believe in you, please do it. :)

(PC users can use Firefox 3.6 and still get Gears, but us Mac users can't, so we need something else...)
Posted 12 years ago
mikebowden says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 for me. Right now i'm using flux.app (and Safari), but RTM + desktop app = <3
Posted 12 years ago
jjaimon says:
+1.
Posted 12 years ago
james.arlen says:
I'd be willing to spend 2-3x the cost of the Pro subscription if it meant I could have a native OSX app that was as good as the iPad app. Pretty please?
Posted 12 years ago
cbrynt says:
+1 here
Posted 12 years ago
kenderken says:
Hm. So, what are the chances here? Is anyone really working on the desktop, standalone, client for RTM?

If not, I can look into the API and work on something in Cocoa.
Any suggestions? email me at kender@codingslut.com
Posted 12 years ago
gcman105 says:
+1 from me too.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
desktop app for mac please. also would be nice to be able to choose fontsize in the android version.
Posted 12 years ago
wainwda says:
+1 from me.

A native Max OS X app in the App Store is what's needed.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Any news on this? I would love to have a basic desktop mac app!!!
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Might as well just tip your hand RTM and tell us you are working on this. :)
Posted 12 years ago
se.ostermann says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
mxq says:
I really need it. Without google gear, still I will be happy with the app.
Posted 12 years ago
erzz says:
No way I can possibly justify a pro account with a desktop (i.e. offline) version of the app. Especially when there are so many free options with desktop/iphone/ipad apps
Posted 12 years ago
erzz says:
ermm *without :)
Posted 12 years ago
cansteg says:
I Need a native Mac App. for serious task management, come on guys...go for it!
Posted 12 years ago
caputofamily says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
matt.keays says:
Native Mac app for me as well guys - this is the era of BYOD - so I go into the office and plug my MB Pro into the network and start working. You do have 1 competitor who has the MAC OSX app to complement iOS but I think it's slightly too complicated.
Posted 12 years ago
sqrabs says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
mwillig says:
really needed (Lightning/Thunderbird doesn't work reliable)
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
but there are literally no desktop app for mac/windows while there is an app for linux http://live.gnome.org/Tasque/Screenshots

and then looked at RTM api page https://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/api/
"The Remember The Milk API allows anyone to write applications that interact with Remember The Milk. At this time, the API is available for non-commercial use by outside developers (commercial use requires prior arrangement). The design of the Remember The Milk API was inspired by the Flickr API."

it's perfectly fine if RTM don't want to make desktop app but should let someone else make it .. for pro users least
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Incredible! This thread is 5 years old and still active!
Posted 12 years ago
david.snigier says:
I'd like to see a good native OS X version in the app store and would happily pay $15 for it.

The app should have a very solid way of adding tasks from email via applescript or some other way.
Posted 12 years ago
mike.dawoud says:
I agree with everyone here, no way I'm upgrading to pro version without a desktop app...so it would be nice to see a OS X app for RTM please!
Posted 11 years ago
rhart00 says:
Agreed. Anxiously awaiting a desktop app of RTM. seriously thinking about canceling my pro membership and transferring to another service because of the lack of a desktop client.
Posted 11 years ago
hannes.stiebitzhofer says:
I am with david.snigler: I would happily pay $15 for a good native OS X version coming through the app store. And I think there are thousands of users which would just press the buy button if available.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Why this has not been done yet i do not know!
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
RTM for Mountain Lion's notification center!!! :)
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
4 months into the year and nothing big our of RTM. This or a web UI overhaul is coming IMO.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
*out of RTM.
Posted 11 years ago
rvicelli says:
A little late but just got my Mac. +1
Posted 11 years ago
josh.deckard says:
I really home RTM comes out with a Mac app soon or I'm leaving the service
Posted 11 years ago
msurtees says:
Pretty please!
Posted 11 years ago
starev says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
patrickbowen says:
I started using RTM 3-4 years ago. Was a pro user for a while, used everything out there for a year and now have come back because there isn't anything better that syncs across platforms.

Having said that, I REALLY REALLY REALLY want a Mac app. Pretty please?
Posted 11 years ago
gillaizeau.olivier says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
msettip says:
Can you please port the iPad application to the Mac.
Posted 11 years ago
rowanprice says:
+1 and give it the new interface on the iphone app, please. million times better.
Posted 11 years ago
rowanprice says:
> and then looked at RTM api page it's perfectly fine if RTM don't want to make desktop app but should let someone else make it .. for pro users least

Seriously.. come on, guys. Either make the app or let someone else make it. Thanks.
Posted 11 years ago
rcamner says:
It's not perfect, but I use Fluid (a SSB-SIngle Site Browser) that in effect is a dedicated app for RTM. It doesn't hang off the menu bar (which would be a dream), but it works far better than having a browser window open all the time (which then has to be searched for!)
Posted 11 years ago
mikefaf says:
+1 !!!!!! to go with the other 5 million over the last 5 years. Please!
Posted 11 years ago
thomasvanderkleij says:
+47
Posted 11 years ago
cphillips515 says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
mjleitch says:
I hope I live to see the day a native RTM is released for Mac! Not a port of the iPad UI, but a real mac app with a UI design specifically for the desktop.
Posted 11 years ago
andrew.gross says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
michnieuwoudt says:
it really sucks that rtm is not available as a desktop app on a mac.
I think I'm moving to the built-in reminders app.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
I would really like to have a desktop app for the Mac.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
How do we still not have a Mac app? Or at least the ability to easily get it into iCal/Tasks. I mean I pay for pro to sync across all platforms but can't unless I want to dedicate a browser tab to RTM all day long. Not effective.
Posted 11 years ago
jfchadeyron says:
+100
Posted 11 years ago
al.pendergrass says:
The iPad and iPhone clients are great. We need something similar for OS X.
Posted 11 years ago
dizz says:
+1
and a big "Please"!
Posted 11 years ago
cdingui says:
Waiting for that also...
Posted 11 years ago
etroelsen says:
I wish for an offline capability...
soon...
Posted 11 years ago
josh.deckard says:
YES...Please bring Mac App ASAP or i will probably leave for another program that has it (there are tons).
Posted 11 years ago
tkeener says:
I would love to see a Mac app also.
Posted 11 years ago
cximran says:
Guys please! I would love a mac desktop app that looks like the iOS app!
Posted 11 years ago
timofey.peters says:
I would love to see a Mac app also +1
Posted 11 years ago
christianehansen says:
I too would love to see that. I often work offline and find myself fumbling around on the smartphone when wanting to add something, which steals way too much time.
Posted 11 years ago
yomgui says:
+1 for a mac app !
Posted 11 years ago
guildrl says:
+1 here too that works exactly like the iPad and iPhone apps
Posted 11 years ago
ron.kubsch says:
Please, please bring a Mac App ASAP!
Posted 11 years ago
lfeuln says:
Adding myself to the chorus. I want RTM reminders to come in through notification center when a task is due, and have a badge on the icon to make me complete said task for the sake of my OCD. :-) There's several Mac apps that should do the job, but I really appreciate not being locked in to the iPhone with RTM.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
I will have to quit using RTM if there is no Mac App in the very near future.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Would also like a OSX desktop app please. I would be much more interested in the Pro service if I had something to sync it to that did not require me using a widget or a web browser.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Mac App please!
Posted 11 years ago
hoolito says:
my +2
Posted 11 years ago
jshoaf says:
Love the iPad RTM app. Its one of my favorites. But I need RTM on my MacBook Pro where I do most of my work. Please use the iPad app as a model for a MacOS app!
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Another +1
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
I also request that a MacBook App be created. Without the app, I probably will look elsewhere for a todo program soon.
Posted 11 years ago
gnuyoga says:
+1 for macbook desktop app.
Posted 11 years ago
msettip says:
Anybody interested in crowdsourcing this one?
Posted 11 years ago
maugilmar says:
Another vote for a mac app
Posted 11 years ago
williamdsnow says:
another vote for this, it could be like your ipad version or just local frame with local storage. Sync like evernote. I built one with fluidapp but it is not as smooth as RTM browser version.

RTM has to be the best customer support on the planet!
Posted 11 years ago
patricke says:
I'd also love to have this, since the iPhone and iPad apps are so well designed, and a much more of a joy to use compared to the online UI.
Posted 10 years ago
mrhyde85 says:
Hurry and release one please!
Posted 10 years ago
arete says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
dugbouws says:
yes, a desktop app please
Posted 10 years ago
emwendelin says:
I want to revamp my RTM desktop app, Cheqlist, into a killer Mac OS X app, but I can't legally charge for an app; it's just too large an undertaking to do for free.

Perhaps something like a Kickstarter would be possible to make this happen. Would anyone else want in on such a thing?
Posted 10 years ago
polarpixel says:
Yes, I would like to have a desktop app too.
Posted 10 years ago
langejos says:
count me in! that's the only gripe I have about RTM: sitting on a plane not being able to pour my meeting notes into todos (without resorting to a mobile device)
Posted 10 years ago
christian.mitschke says:
+1 for macbook desktop app
Posted 10 years ago
babouyes says:
+1 @emwendelin
Posted 10 years ago
hkas says:
+100500 :))) it would be nice!
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 @emwendelin That would be great! :)
Posted 10 years ago
vladikin.m says:
+2
I want a desktop application for Mac oc.
The same convenience as iphone and Ipad
Which will also support swipe gestures.
Posted 10 years ago
cximran says:
Oh man if I could have iphone app in the form of a desktop app - win!
Posted 10 years ago
patricke says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
dakhor says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
brent.peters says:
+2
cheers
Posted 10 years ago
jwog says:
Desktop app would be great. +1
Posted 10 years ago
joegrant413 says:
I'm using my Android tablet app, even though it doesn't have a keyboard, just because the experience is much snappier than using web-based RTM.

Yes, please make a real Mac OS app! It's the weakest link in my RTM world.
Posted 10 years ago
axolx says:
This would be huge for my company's use of RTM. It wouldn't have to be a full desktop app for us, but a high-quality menubar utility like Fantastical, for task quick entry, edit, etc
Posted 10 years ago
robert.einsle says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
zepie says:
+1 for OSX app
Posted 10 years ago
jaropolk says:
+1 for OSX app with notification bar notification
Posted 10 years ago
mark.betteridge says:
+1 for me as well
Posted 10 years ago
alfio1 says:
Please make OSX app with alerts in notification bar and badge icon in dock
Posted 10 years ago
ken.takeshige says:
+1, if rtm is not gonna support offline access on browser, why not to have app. I would really love to have one.
Posted 9 years ago
bernardotorres says:
I don't need a full Mac OS X app, but a nice task list on the notification bar, like currently Calendar.app does, would be great.
When I received chat notifications or e-mails not so important, it would be a cool reminder of the real tasks to do.
Posted 9 years ago
chrisweeksnz says:
More support for an OS X app, built with similar quality to the iPad app (which is great)….

….please at least change the Overview page in the web UI so we can complete tasks from it.
Posted 9 years ago
hamano1204 says:
+1
Posted 8 years ago
mxq says:
+1 again, waiting for three years.
Posted 8 years ago
jchiar says:
Still waiting.
Posted 8 years ago
trodrigues says:
Would also love to have a desktop app with notifications. Started using Wunderlist mostly because of this, which is really the only thing I prefer on Wunderlist over RTM. Considering coming back to RTM but I think this is holding me back a bit.
Posted 8 years ago
danielmcclure says:
Would be really great. So tempting to switch to Wunderlist, but otherwise RTM is superior IMO.
Posted 8 years ago
psghosh says:
We need OS X integration of some sort. Even if it's not a full blow native app, we need a Safari, Chrome, or iOS plugin so that links and other page data can be auto-populated to tasks. This has uses ranging from research to shopping. Cutting and pasting links is very 2003....
Posted 8 years ago
(closed account) says:
This request has been here for a while... it would be really nice to see progress. RTM is good, but in danger of being eclipsed by other products now :( Browser-based UI without proper offline support and the lack of proper integration with the OS doesn't cut it any more, especially on the Mac platform.
Posted 8 years ago
mxq says:
Thank you Bob !!

I was surprised to know that you launch everything at the same time. The new RTM.app and web apps with offline capability are great!! Now I can add my tasks off-line when I travel in a jet.

Posted 8 years ago
(closed account) says:
The new apps are great! I would like to see more native aspects start appearing within the apps such as notifications. Hope that's on the cards!
Posted 8 years ago
(closed account) says:
I would like to see more native behaviors in the Mac OS app (I.e. Hot key shortcut and window popup for new tasks, share extension integration, services menu right click and drag and drop items on the icon, etc)
Posted 7 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.