Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Wildcards in "Tagged with" search field?

shawny says:
I haven't been able to find any previous discussion on this, so hopefully it's not redundant.

My question is this: is there any way to use wildcards in the "Tagged with" field such that I could find all tasks tagged with a tag beginning with, say, "-"? It doesn't seem to work, so I'm guessing that it's simply not supported.

In my case, I precede a tag with a hyphen to indicate that it's a project. I'd like to be able to create a smart list that looks for all tasks having such a tag.

Thanks.
Posted at 5:53pm on March 20, 2007
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Sorry, wildcard searching isn't currently possible with the search feature.
Posted 16 years ago
matthewartz14 says:
Bummer. I was hoping for the same thing.

Would love to have a wildcard, Emily. :)
Posted 16 years ago
matthewartz14 says:
Another though if wildcard is difficult. You have noteContains as a search operator. Possibly create a tagContains search operator?
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
put me down this feature, possibly for making a list with all tasks that don't have a @* tag assigned to them, for contexts
Posted 16 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Me too! I want tagContains.
Posted 16 years ago
janis.janums says:
tagContains would be great. Or simple wildcat could do the same.
Posted 16 years ago
brettlytle says:
Me too. I'd love that feature...
Posted 16 years ago
whibs says:
Gets my vote!
Posted 16 years ago
curoi says:
Another vote!
Posted 16 years ago
nazley says:
and another vote here
Posted 16 years ago
sejjiin says:
tagContains or wildcard would make RTM much more flexible by specifiying your own tag-types e.g. everything with a @ is a context, etc. Strangely, notes do have this feature; I'm tempted to move tags over to notes.
Posted 16 years ago
kempcb says:
another vote!
Posted 16 years ago
mgrassotti says:
Agree with sejjiin's post - tagContains would make it a lot easier to implement GTD using RTM. Without this feature it's a bit of a challenge.
Posted 16 years ago
ithacanz says:
Another vote for tagContains, but I think the more general solution would be (basic) regex for any search operator - then you can also force it to look at the start of the tag rather than the @ symbol appearing anywhere in the tag (unlikely in this case, but maybe not in other uses). This is the one feature that's getting in my way for easily using RTM for GTD.
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Another vote for wildcard or tagContains! Any news on if this is planned to be implemented?
Posted 16 years ago
johnfoland says:
I would like to cast my vote for this feature, too! Thanks RTM!
Posted 16 years ago
douglas.silvio says:
I want this feature too!
tagContains
Posted 16 years ago
ngeballe says:
I'd love to have that feature too, thanks
Posted 16 years ago
johnfoland says:
Could be a sweet Pro feature! :-D
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
Another vote for "tagContains" or regular expressions

very usefull for my contact tag (every task which requires interaction with another persons is tagged with a c_name tag).

But I don't think that this should be pro only.
Posted 16 years ago
richie_p says:
Another vote for the wildcard/regular expression version of this suggestion! Seems very strange in this day and age to encounter a search that doesn't allow for a good ol' asterisk.
Posted 16 years ago
tsolignani says:
My vote for it. Thank you.
Posted 16 years ago
warwick.symes says:
yes vote please much ta
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hey all! I'd like to suggest a workaround.
I suggest downloading Greasemonkey for Firefox and installing this
(http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25046).
The discussion is here:
http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/tips/2943/
the first part contains a possible solution, but after you've gone over a third of the page the discussion turns to the script.
I did it about a week ago with no previous coding knowledge, and well... its really good! It classifies your projects, you still cant search for them, but you can click them on the tag cloud. Also suggested, enable your tag cloud to be seen on the tasks tab (checkbox in settings-general!).
good luck!
Posted 15 years ago
dcgm says:
My vote for it. Thank you.
Posted 15 years ago
markrichards says:
tagContains vote.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
another vote
Posted 14 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Interestingly, we have tagContains since almost two years ;-)
Wildcards would be a great feature (hint to Emily).
Posted 14 years ago
steve.whitney says:
I'd sure appreciate a way to user regular expressions.

I'm implementing GTD (and GTD has got to be a great source of pro members) and I need a way to create smart lists whose names start with @. I'd love to be able to search on "^@home" without having tasks with email addresses like "@homebase" show up in my list.

Also, my "system errors" list that helps me make sure my GTD tasks are on the right lists won't work right because it's looking for tasks whose names begin with "@" but I have to say that they _contain_ @, which makes email addresses pop up.

You must have some flavor of Unix under this thing, right? It'd be easy to create a set of search ops that allow regular expressions. listRE or nameRE? You don't have to worry about backward compatibility if you create new operators.

If I can make my system work well, I'll "go pro" and use it mobile - ideally on a new Android RTM app. :-) But that's another thread.

Thanks,
Steve
Posted 14 years ago
sakal77 says:
I would like use wildcards on locations. I have many locations like DTTown1, DTTown2, SKTown1, SKTown2, etc.
Wildcards will be great to use with grouping these locations.
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
sakal77,
Wildcards aren't currently possible, but you can still group them together in searches, e.g. location:DTTown1 OR location:DTTown2, etc. Not sure how many locations you manage, but it shouldn't be too difficult to set that up for a smart list.
Posted 14 years ago
roebot says:
I'd like wildcard search too.

I want a saved search I call "WaitingFor" that shows all the people tagged with a task. I've been tagging people with a "_" and had hoped I could query all of them.

:-(
Posted 14 years ago
rich.jackman says:
another vote for wildcards
Posted 14 years ago
erik.moore says:
Another vote for wildcard searching, and short of that, at the very least could we have right-hand truncation? I.e., if I have Lists called "wk-Project1," "wk-Project2," "wk-Project3," etc., then right-hand truncation would allow me to search:
list:wk-
or
list:"wk-"
...and get all of the tasks from those lists.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
erik, you can already search for tagContains:wk-

Posted 14 years ago
bryan.osborn says:
I'm very surprised to discover I can't use wildcards, even in pro! I need the equivalent of a "listContains" search.
Posted 13 years ago
wrayre says:
Sort of silly to have that nice post of GTD with RTM and then not have a listContains to enable grouping of tasks by "wk" or "ps".
Posted 13 years ago
mvonrose says:
+1 Can we get this feature soon? listContains would be so very very helpful
Posted 13 years ago
growdigital says:
+1 listContains, as I'm using GTD w. RTM!
Posted 13 years ago
steve.borrer says:
+1 for listContains for GTD
Posted 13 years ago
sig_ma says:
I have lots of personal and work lists (prefixed ps_ and wk_, respectively). I want to say (priority:1 and listContains:wk_) to get my high priority work items. Instead I have to name all my work lists individually, which is impractical as I add more of them, and they change over time. Is this in the works, or what?
Posted 13 years ago
sarahch says:
+1 for listContains!
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 for listContains!
Posted 13 years ago
nzadri says:
+ 1 for listContains !
Posted 13 years ago
akrde says:
I would like to have a listContains too, nice idea!
Posted 13 years ago
vaclav.dobsicek says:
+1 for listContains
Posted 12 years ago
tanguyg says:
+1 listContains
Posted 12 years ago
mark.merriman says:
+1 for listContains
Posted 12 years ago
naharet says:
+1 vote for listContains
Posted 10 years ago
azclaire says:
ListContains is much needed! I'm doing a time consuming work around.
Posted 10 years ago