Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Support for tasks created by flagging emails for follow up

spamboy says:
In Outlook, you can flag messages for followup, and these show up in your Tasks list as Tasks of type Message.

Will MilkSync for Outlook be updated to support syncing these type tasks?
Posted at 6:51pm on October 26, 2010
Answered
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Thanks for everyone's feedback! :) We're going to look into this -- there's a bit of an issue because when messages are flagged, Outlook doesn't actually create tasks for them (they're still just emails with a special task flag). As there's no tasks for us to sync with, we'll have to investigate whether it's possible to sync with the flagged emails and create tasks in Remember The Milk from those.
Posted 13 years ago
pakudinov says:
Yes, I'm very interested in this feature too!
Posted 13 years ago
jason3fc says:
I am also interested in this. I use Quick Steps in Outlook 2010 to turn my incoming emails into tasks. This doesnt really make them tasks, it just makes the messages show up in the task list. Since this is my primary way of using tasks in Outlook, I'd love to see support for this as well!

Right now my only way around this is to tell the quick step to create a task as well, this nets me two items and and a task I have to fill out, so it defeats the purpose of my quick step.

Please add support for this, I'd love to see it!!
Posted 13 years ago
tobbesjufem says:
I would like this too! I have a GTD-like setup in outlook and flagging email as tasks is probably 70-80% of all my tasks.
Posted 13 years ago
jimgale says:
I just found out about RTM this morning - got excited about following my Outlook 2010 flagged tasks in my Windows Mobile 7 - signed up/paid for pro in order to enable all. Found out that this feature is missing. [This is 100% how I track my tasks - starting as an email - flagged].

RTM: PLEASE enable this feature. Thanks.
Posted 13 years ago
jaap.kramer says:
Adding my vote to this.
Posted 13 years ago
jaap.kramer says:
Good to hear the team is looking into this. In my opinion this feature would greatly improve the MilkSync utility! Looking forward to see this working if possible.
Posted 13 years ago
chadjheath says:
Thank you for looking into this option. I just signed up today and would love to have this functionality as many of my to-do's start as emails as well.
Please add this if it is possible. Other than that I love the app!!
Posted 13 years ago
spamboy says:
@Emily Thanks for the reply -- let us know how it goes!
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
I actually installed MilkSync just to see if it supported this, as I almost exclusively use flags.

I really hope you manage to support it.
Posted 13 years ago
jkubecki says:
"Me too!"
Posted 13 years ago
geeker87 says:
Would love to see this feature, I'm on the topping edge of buying pro and this would seal the deal for me.
Posted 13 years ago
matt.crossley says:
I've had this issue with almost any attempt to sync outlook flagged emails. I finally purchased Clear Context which turns e-mails into tasks with one click - this provides the kind of syncing capability. So far the sync with milk sync has been great - the only issue I have is when changing priorities (i.e. @calls to @waiting) it will sometimes duplicate the task in Outlook because it is syncing back the older version from RTM and the updated version.
Posted 13 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
matt.crossley,
We'd be interested to know about any problems you're having, especially with Clear Context.

Would it be possible to submit a MilkSync for Microsoft Outlook issue report via our support system, if you haven't done so already?

Just select your issue from the list on the left, and follow the steps shown. If your issue isn't listed, click on "I'd like to report a new issue".

Your report should provide all the info that we need to investigate further, but we'll be in touch via email if we require any more details.

Thanks!
Posted 13 years ago
metalhero says:
As a counterpoint I would not like to see this feature, alternatively if this feature was introduced it should be optional
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
Before milksync I would fwd emails to rtm vs flagging and a task is created that way. It works for me.
Posted 13 years ago
bcasteel says:
I think this feature would be great, but I agree with metalhero that it should be optional. You should be able to turn it on or off in the MilkSync settings.
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
There is a way to turn emails into real tasks in outlook that will then sync with RTM. Read here: http://www.practicalhacks.com/2008/05/06/outlook-convert-email-messages-into-tasks-or-meetings/
Posted 12 years ago
ryan.murphy.co says:
I would also like to see flagged emails mapped into RTM Milksync. The link in the previous post shows how to copy the email into a separate task, but the point is NOT to create a separate item (task) to have to manage in Outlook if the email itself is what requires the action. I was excited about using this service to integrate my work to-dos into RTM, but unfortunately this missing feature kills the value since I mostly use flagged emails on the Outlook ToDo list.
Posted 12 years ago
adski says:
+1!
Posted 12 years ago
hkarekar says:
Yes. This feature is really really needed. Very useful because when you send out an email to someone and want to just flag it for followup. Task creation is unnecessary in this context.
Posted 12 years ago
rooslih says:
Yes. it is a very important function. I also use the business contact manager BCM together with outlook. There I work also with flags. Please verify this function also together with the BCM.
Posted 12 years ago
shawnmix7 says:
+1 - I think it should be able to be viewed as a type of item outside just a message, as Outlook displays it under tasks as a To-Do item. Perhaps this could help in identifying the piece that MilkSync needs to look for.
Posted 12 years ago
magnus.vaughan says:
Any news on this. This feature is absolutely necessary in my opinion. Its absence renders RTM pretty much useless for those of us who use flags with Outlook.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Please update us on this issue. I am sure this is extremely important to anyone who gets 200 emails daily like me. I have at least 30 flagged emails daily.
Posted 12 years ago
rldovejr says:
+1 - any update?
Posted 12 years ago
tom.vanbaarle says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
pminkler says:
+1111

Would love this feature
Posted 12 years ago
yusen says:
please please please
Posted 12 years ago
venura says:
Hope this feature is on the roadmap, as i need this feature before thinking on going pro
Posted 12 years ago
venura says:
this is a feature which should have been there by default
Posted 12 years ago
olgagrad says:
I don't want to upgrade to pro until this feature is enabled ... Without this feature my task management steps are doubled!
Posted 12 years ago
mauro.crovato says:
i would like it too!!!! please please hear us asap!!!
Posted 12 years ago
wtmaslyn says:
This would be great. If you had this feature, I'd upgrade today!
Posted 12 years ago
preswest says:
I use flagged emails at work every day, so this feature would revolutionize how i can keep on top of tasks at work. Now a days, nearly all my tasks are assaigned to me in the form of an email.
Posted 12 years ago
mystwillow says:
Adding my vote to this. I investigated MilkSync specifically for this purpose but it looks like it doesn't support it yet. With Siri connected to RTM, it is such a powerful tool I would love to have ALL my tasks/reminders consolidated in RTM rather than fragmented between Outlook, RTM, and the Reminders app.
Posted 12 years ago
peter.rhodes says:
Not to pile on, but this is an essential tool for Outlook users who are used to flagging emails. I synced my tasks for the first time and only one of 12 sync'd and I finally found that the others were flagged emails. Hope its on RTM's To-Do list.
Posted 12 years ago
aarondick says:
+1! ALL of my tasks are driven off of email flags.
Posted 12 years ago
neil.padgen says:
This would be a killer feature. I've just moved to Outlook 2010 from 2003, and this feature of Outlook has already revolutionised my way of working - but I do prefer the extra flexibility RTM gives me. I don't really want to do an ugly Quick Task hack to create a new task from the email when it's the email itself that needs following up.

I understand the issue but would like to know what progress has been made in the year since Emily posted her answer.

I've just (today) upgraded to Pro in the hope that this feature gets implemented with the help of my $25!
Posted 12 years ago
tenaku says:
Syncing flagged emails is the one thing i feel RTM is missing. I was suprised to find that milksync doesn't support this.
Posted 12 years ago
luke.guerrero says:
This is needed...
Posted 12 years ago
hannalotte says:
If I really want to use RTM as my only todo list than this is really essential for me. It is not working if I have 2 lists to look at. I hoped as a pro user I would be able to do that but not so far. Urgently waiting.
Posted 12 years ago
mikeytt says:
Using the reminder function on emails is key to the way I've been working and managing my time for years now. If RTM can support this and I can sync with my Android Tablet it would be scheduling "Nirvana". Please look into supporting this...
Posted 12 years ago
mikeytt says:
I've just read the link that "watsonsale" posted a while back. Now this appears messy so I've have a quick look to see if Outlook 2010 has a better way of performing this. And it does. If you create a "Quick Step" with an action of "Create a task with text of message" then you'll get a window where you can put due dates, etc. But more importantly Reminders. With that complete you can either right click on an email and select Quick Steps and then your newly created step, or select it from the ribbon, if you have that visible. When it syncs with RTM you get the text of the email as a not to the task. The additional power is that you can perform other actions with the quick step too, like move to folder, change flags, etc.

I don't know if this is available in other versions of Outlook, but certainly in 2010 it seems to work really well.
Posted 12 years ago
zakikrayem says:
This is very much needed. Maybe not for flagging emails, but for flagging contacts. it's the easiest way to remember to call someone. you just flag the contact in outlook. calling the contact mostly will happen from mobile device, so RTM reminding about contacts to call is very important.
Posted 12 years ago
aristianwikarsa says:
Vote for this feature
Posted 12 years ago
pascaltillaart says:
Can anyone from the RTM team update us on the follow up of this topic. Seems to me enough users seriously prefer this functionality in RTM.
Posted 12 years ago
joanrafel says:
This would be a killer feature! Please!
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Me too. Where do I vote for this? I did click on the up-thumb at the top of this post
Posted 11 years ago
nathandw says:
I would also love this feature. I have not found any other apps that support it and I joined "Remember The Milk" for the Outlook Sync hoping it would have this feature.
Posted 11 years ago
ryan.clements says:
Is there any update on this? The discussion started a while back (hard to say with the original postsaying October last year, while the comments say 1 year ago), it would be great to see where progress is, if any.
Posted 11 years ago
danny.newman says:
One more request for an update. I am currently using MilkSync on trial and this would be the deciding feature for me.
Posted 11 years ago
arjoh says:
This definitely would help met Get Things Done! +1
Posted 11 years ago
jens.reineking says:
Yes, please.
+1!
Posted 11 years ago
lushuliang says:
please
+1~
Posted 11 years ago
okawesome says:
I vote for this feature as well. I think that most people who regularly use Exchange for work flag emails as To-Do's, and that really becomes the main task list.

+1
Posted 11 years ago
_raka says:
Oh I just sent a ticket about this, and NOW I found the appropriate topic, sorry :/

I also need A LOT this feature, could you work on it, pretty pretty please ? :3
Posted 11 years ago
erica.nofi says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
adam_jacobs says:
I'm also interested, I hope this isn't ignored because of the release of Outlook 2010/2013. Many of us work in corporate jobs where IT updating is way behind, I just got outlook 2007 and god knows when I'll get 2010 that has that "quick steps" workaround.
Posted 11 years ago
brad.lewis says:
This is something I need also - primarily because I will flag a message that has an attachment which describes the task I must perform. By flagging the email I can keep tabs on the attachment since RTM can't hold attachments / graphical representations of tasks.
Posted 11 years ago
rldovejr says:
Yes, please!!
Posted 11 years ago
a.obhof says:
I need that too!
Posted 11 years ago
tyrsia says:
This is exactly what I want to use MilkSync for.....so that I don't have to copy/paste email names to put them into my action list. I think if RTM synced to that level with Outlook, more of my co-workers might be interested in the Pro product as well. PLEASE look into how to add this feature....thanks!
Posted 11 years ago
sunyibo says:
outlook todos from flagged mail is my main GTD system in office, really want it feature! But please check with M$ first to see if they already have some plan on this (I mean turn a soft task to a real one)
Posted 11 years ago
threefingerjoe says:
That would be a very nice feature.
Posted 11 years ago
cmduke says:
This is CRITICAL for me. I live and die by the task list (I don't have a memory, I have an inbox ;-). Flagged emails as tasks is probably 80-90% of all my tasks.

** I'd upgrade to RTM Pro in a heartbeat if MilkSync sync'ed flagged emails as well.**

I'll add that bidirectional sync'ing is important. Checking off a flagged email task in MilkSync needs to mark, on next sync, the flagged email as "complete" in Outlook.
Posted 11 years ago
andycheah says:
I vote for this feature as well. It would make my work life a lot easier. Please add. :-)

+1
Posted 11 years ago
tdcrump says:
Since the iOS Tasks app is not helpful with Outlook sync, I turned to RTM. I've been creating tasks, but catching and syncing flagged email reminders would be great. I'd continue to be a pro user for that!
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1

I unfortunately just discovered this wouldn't work after I got pro... trying to find a work around but it's extremely disappointing...
Posted 11 years ago
r0bdej0ng says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
airhead says:
+1

Please figure this out.
Posted 11 years ago
joldfield101 says:
+1

will someone PLEASE find a solution to this, it's been asked for years!
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 - What cmduke said.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Although I'm already a pro user because I need app notifications ;)
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease add this!!!!!
Posted 11 years ago
greenelement says:
Yup so am I....
Posted 10 years ago
eric.cloninger says:
Just restarted using RTM after a 2 year absence. Trying out MilkSync before I upgrade to Pro. This tripped me up as I had about 30 emails flagged for followup and I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to sync them to RTM. I finally opened the ones I wanted to track in RTM, selected the "Move to Folder" button in the ribbon bar, and chose "Tasks". A bit of a kludge, but workable for now.

Need a more permanent solution though as "Mark for Followup" is an easy workflow in Outlook (2007 in my case. yes, I know it's 2013, but our IT staff aren't in a hurry ;-) ).
Posted 10 years ago
jorgelkuri says:
In outlook you can see the flagged mails in a to-do list maybe this is something milksync can use??

Hopping for this to be developed! :)
Posted 10 years ago
jorgelkuri says:
check this out it kinda works at least temporarily.

http://zzamboni.org/blog/automatically-creating-tasks-from-email-in-ou/
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
I really want this feature to work! I signed up for pro in order to sync these, and it doesn't work now.
Posted 10 years ago
tiebor says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
envancleve says:
++++1
Posted 10 years ago
bakerg3 says:
+1 feature request
Posted 10 years ago
jordy1971 says:
+1... until this gets settled, creating a Quick Step seems to be a good interim solution for me. Not as sleek and simple as clicking the little Flag, but not terrible either.
Posted 10 years ago
theao says:
Like others, outlook task sync (including flagged emails) is the reason I signed up for pro, but it doesn't work.

+1 for feature request.
Posted 10 years ago
marisa.pharr says:
Agree....please add this feature as my "task" list has "to do's" in it that are flagged items.
Posted 10 years ago
jen.mistretta says:
Please! Please! Please! Please! Please!

Any update on this?
Posted 8 years ago
lordthundering says:
Okay, that's kinda terrible - 4 years is a long long time. Please update us on this problem...
Posted 8 years ago
pjespinosa says:
+1
Posted 7 years ago
soumyo.chatterjee says:
I have tried every other to-do list managers..nothing better than RTM in every ways, excecpt for milksync doesn't supports flagged email tasks to sync. if this feature is enabled, my life becomes so easy - i won't have to go through any tedious ways to manage such tasks....
please RTM - enable this feature, been more than 4 years users are requesting this....

+1 vote from me to enable this feature
Posted 7 years ago
a.hubbers says:
Well +1 for this, improving my mail handling is crucial. However looking at the history of this item (6 years!) I seems that this features is the lowest of the lowest on the development backlog...

Not moving to pro, not recommending colleges...
Posted 6 years ago
jiteshshahin says:
The ask has been around for 6 years...and yet RTM guys wouldnt reply? Left to dogs?
Posted 6 years ago
spencelloyd says:
After reading this chain, I am going to cancel my Pro subscription. This feature is a "must have" for me.
Posted 6 years ago
mcmlxxiii says:
I find that feature really important too so please go ahead and make it possible
Posted 5 years ago
sbeaudry says:
+1 Would like to see this added.
Posted 5 years ago
lillgu says:
Any update??
Posted 4 years ago