Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Meta-locations (e.g. 'Supermarket' might include multiple local grocery stores)

jonathan.cederberg says:
I have tried to find out if this is possible, but as far as I have been able to tell, it is not. The problem is that I want notifications at several locations for the same task, This is not possible, but could easily be remedied by adding the notion of meta-locations.

A meta-location would just be a list of locations. I often find myself wanting to put several locations on a task, for example the location @foodstore would be very handy for general food-related errands.
Posted at 7:35am on August 30, 2010
jonathan.cederberg says:
I now realise I posted in the wrong forum. Could the admin please move this topic to the tips and tricks forum?
Posted 13 years ago
davidscottweaver says:
I always thought this would be great. Same reason. If something I need for the house could be bought at Home Depot or Lowes, I could get alerted when I'm near either.
Posted 13 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
No, this isn't currently possible; sorry for inconvenience, and thanks for the feedback!
Posted 13 years ago
rufus.spb says:
@andrewski
Guys, think about this feature, please. I need this too
Posted 13 years ago
mflack says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
mahinirb says:
Big time +1. I think this should be the very next thing RTM works on. It would really set RTM apart from other task management software.
Posted 12 years ago
lilyheart says:
This is the only thing I'm actual missing when using RTM. Anything else is just a would like to have. This I need to truly use RTM for everything.
Posted 12 years ago
jdeger says:
+2
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
At first, this seemed like a feature too large in scope and variables to be possible, but then I had an idea: We already define and label our own locations - but add the ability to group or tag locations into categories, and it would be good if one location could belong to more than one category. Then, we could have a "Home Depot" group that would work for the store closest to work, or the one near home, etc. Home Depot locations could also belong to a more general "hardware store" category. A grocery store tag would work for all the ones we define in our area. Then the task needs to be able to store more than one location (based on the categories) to trigger alerts.

Posted 12 years ago
kacrocker says:
+1 for vallynn's implementation idea.
Currently I use tags that start with @ as a workaround (i.e. @grocery), but having the benefits of locations would make it much better. I could assign the grocery location to the handfull of grocery stores I usually go to (near work, near home, etc)
Posted 12 years ago
sisugirl says:
I am just starting with locations, and this feature would be great.
Posted 12 years ago
downing.c says:
I use locations pinned to northern Greenland for contexts that aren't physical (like computer or phone). I wonder if it would be possible to have locations like "supermarket" or "hardware store" use something like Google Places or Foursquare?
Posted 11 years ago
rubyji says:
I've tried a variety of hack to workaround this, but I now that I have a geo-aware app, I really need it to understand that I'm at the grocery store when I'm at any store, not just one location.
Posted 11 years ago
rd_210 says:
This would be great to have - eg. where you work from two locations. Also, if you could have a smartlist which gave you the tasks for your nearest location then you could effective insert a range as a location. For example, I regularly take a particular train journey. It would be great to be have a location which is for on the train. So in this case the solution would be to have a location which included the start and end points and filter for nearest location.
Posted 11 years ago
kern3lly says:
I was going to post exactly the same idea ;]
Posted 11 years ago
mcmlxxiii says:
I would love to have this feature too
Posted 5 years ago