Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Smart lists and inbox

(closed account) says:
Hi I've created a bunch of smart lists and they work great, but do I still have to manually move a task from my inbox to a "regular" list as well?

I guess I was hoping that the smart lists would automatically do this.
Posted at 3:18am on November 14, 2012
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
The smart lists are not really lists. A task can belong to several different smart lists (or none at all).

Basically, if you mostly use smart lists, you have two alternatives:
1 Keep all your tasks in the inbox, but never look at them there
2 Move processed (meta-info added) tasks to another regular list leaving your inbox empty. Maybe you move Sometimes/Later task to yet another regular list in true GTD fashion.

The only way smart lists affect the task themselves is when you add a task when you have a smart list open. If all the smart list criteria are un-ambigouos, the task will inherit all the smart list criteria.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
OK That helps a lot. I've migrated from evernote (for GTD), and the smart list is just like a saved search in EN.

Based on your explanation I can create my GTD setup nicely.

What I am learning about RTM is just how configurable it is. This is a good thing!
Posted 11 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
If you keep all your tasks in the inbox, you probably want to create a check smart list that checks if all the meta-info you want is added to the tasks.

I check for location and duration, many probably for tags and priority. Due date is used by some for all tasks, I avoid adding made-up due dates if there are none.

(isLocated:false OR NOT timeEstimate:">0 min" OR isTagged:false OR priority:none OR due:never) AND addedBefore:tomorrow

The addedBefore:tomorrow (always true) makes the detail box show the date the task was added.
Posted 11 years ago
This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.