Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

SmartLists and Tags for Efficient Errands

(closed account) says:
I'm a working mother, and time is at a premium at the best of times. I'm also a list junkie - I've got a hardware-store list, a grocery list, a department-store (Target/Walmart) list, and a Costco list. Not to mention my general to-do lists (home and work).

There have been many times when I'd get home from Target and look at my grocery list, only to realize that I could have picked up the essentials (diapers, milk) at Target. But noooo, now I'd have to make a separate trip.

It happened one time too often, and finally I'd had enough

I set up a series of SmartLists - hardware, grocery, department, costco. They're all set to show items from a third "master" list that are tagged with the corresponding SmartList name(s) and "need". So now, batteries, diapers, etc. are tagged with all of the places they can be bought, along with "need".

This way, all my shopping lists are cross-referenced, and I'm running fewer errands - I'm saving time, fuel and my remaining sanity.

Posted at 3:10pm on February 16, 2010
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Dina,

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your RTM account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 13 years ago
arvindgaba says:
Congrats! for winning!
Posted 13 years ago
action.manager says:
Dina, what do you do after you bought an item? (remove the tag "need"?)

I'm currently using the +bessler method (introduced on this forum) when organizing my errands, to overcome the lack of templates, but I'm open to better solutions.
Posted 13 years ago
ulf.eirik.johnsen says:
Hurray!
Posted 13 years ago
techlifeweb says:
Sorry to go off topic but...I'm always seeing someone mention the "+bessler method" for some reason I can't find it when I do a search. Anyone have a link?
Posted 13 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
techlifeweb,
Look for davidbessler's first post in this shopping topic.
Posted 13 years ago
jspacone13 says:
I think this is a great suggestion, but I can't figure out what purpose the "need" tag serves. After all, if you did a search on all items tagged with "need," you would just end up back at your master shopping list.
Posted 13 years ago
techlifeweb says:
andrewski, thanks for the link.
Posted 13 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
jspacone13: I would guess that "need" is added to the needed items only, out of the huge master shopping list (containing all items ever bought.)
Posted 13 years ago
chester.katz says:
I know this has been brought up elsewhere before, but this seems like an ideal case for allowing a task to be assigned to multiple locations.
Posted 13 years ago