Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Change your perspective - chip away at massive tasks.

jhmorris says:
I have tasks on my to-do list which have been on there forever, I have no inclination to do anything about them. I’m blind to them.

Some of these are massive tasks but can’t sensibly be broken down into subtasks. My example is the formidable sounding “File every piece of paper in the study”. I replaced this scary task with a more achievable repeating task that chips away at the problem. In this case the task is “File some paper in the study”, which I have set to repeat after 1 week.

I now have an achievable task on my list and the satisfaction of completing the short term task regularly while moving towards achieving my long-term goal – a vast improvement on the do-nothing-because-it’s-all-too-difficult situation I had before.

Does anyone have any more tips for re-assessing tasks which have become stuck on lists?
Posted at 9:15pm on January 6, 2010
(closed account) says:
I like this idea. It would be nice to be able to group tasks together or make sub-tasks.
Posted 14 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi jhmorris,

Just wanted to let you know that your tip is this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your RTM account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 14 years ago
jhmorris says:
Thanks Emily, that's great news!
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Here is how I handle large tasks. First, I set the task to be repeating, then I use the notes section to create a list of all of the next actions. If the project has multiple phases, I will create additional notes -- one for each phase than can be deleted as the project progresses. Hope this helps.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Here is how I handle large tasks. First, I set the task to be repeating, then I use the notes section to create a list of all of the next actions. If the project has multiple phases, I will create additional notes -- one for each phase than can be deleted as the project progresses. Hope this helps.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Great tip!
Not to sound like an HR person (I'm not) but this tip would most definitely fulfills the "A" in S.M.A.R.T. goals: Attainable/Achievable:

http://www.topachievement.com/smart.html

The way RTM works best is if the S.M.A.R.T. goal standards are used when adding tasks. Otherwise it just becomes a place to store tasks that never get done.
Posted 14 years ago
joyce.giraud says:
i just get it done.. no sense in procrastinating.
Posted 14 years ago
vsonicmu says:
This is a great tip
Posted 14 years ago
road2ruin says:
@sashas

Your webpage http://www.topachievement.com/smart.html is infected by a virus:

HTML-Scriptvirus HTML/Infected.WebPage.Gen
Posted 14 years ago