Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Using RTM to capture ideas

thomaskeene says:
I do a lot of public speaking and writing, and often an idea will occur to me at an inconvenient time--that is, when I don't have pen and paper handy. No problem, though, RTM makes a great idea-catcher! (Ideas can be anything, by the way, like "I need to do such and such of Friday").

The best way to catch ideas is through your phone. I have a special drop with drop.io that I can call and leave myself a voice message. Any internet-based voice messenger will work, though. I call my voice-messaging service and leave myself a message with my idea. I have it set up so that anytime I get a voice message it sends me a little notification in my email.

So how does this get added to RTM? Easy: using Gmail filters and RTM's awesome Gmail plugin. RTM lets you automatically create tasks from a Gmail Label, and Gmail in turn lets you automatically label incoming emails based on a set of preconditions. So I have Gmail set to automatically label all my voice-mail messages with the label "Task," and I have RTM set to automatically create Tasks from any email with that Label. Presto: instant automatic idea catcher.
Posted at 3:12pm on November 19, 2009
davidbwagner says:
You could make this even simpler: set up your gmail filter to forward the task to your rtm email inbox.
Posted 14 years ago
mehardin says:
Or, you could just leave them in gmail labeled "ideas". It seems to me they are already "caught" once they get there. I don't see how moving them to RTM helps. As a matter of fact, they are pretty much caught when they get to your drop. Seems to me like you are catching the same idea three times.
Posted 14 years ago
thomaskeene says:
Yes, that is also a great idea. But I like have a gmail label for Tasks, so then I can work out of RTM or Gmail.
Posted 14 years ago
kmoss11 says:
Very creative use of filters there! You might make it a bit easier if you set up a free account w/ Dial2Do, which works directly w/ RTM. Then you can just call their number, say "Remember the Milk" and dictate your idea directly into your RTM account.
Posted 14 years ago