Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Speedy Task Creation With Defaults

rossgoodman says:
I'm sure this is well known but I only just stumbled upon this.

If you create a smart list that is deterministic then when you create tasks within that smart list, the task inherits all of the criteria from the list.

For example:
I have a smart list looking at my "Personal Tasks" list with a due date of today.
If I create a task in the smart list, it now gets filed in my "Personal Tasks" list with a due date of today.

I have now created a selection of smart lists purely for data entry to speed up my collection process.

Hope you find this as useful as I do.

Ross
This will work nicely as long as the smart list criteria are unambiguous. If you start inserting OR or NOT this will not work. Neither will it work if you use dueBefore:today or similar search criteria as RTM can't figure out which due date the task should have.

But apart from that, it's a great feature.

One way to avoid this problem is to have a special smart list for task entry, with the correct default setup for tasks, maybe even several such smart lists.
Posted 14 years ago
rossgoodman says:
Yup, thats what I meant when I said the smart list must be "deterministic", maybe I should have been a bit clearer.

Yes i do now have multiple Smartlists just for input.

Ross
Posted 14 years ago
matthew.broadbridge says:
me too. I use "ADD" prefix on dedicated smartlists for anything that I want to be sequenced FIFO (first-in-first-out)
Posted 11 years ago