Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Using RTM to Manage Recipes and Meals

nluoma says:
I use RTM to manage my recipes and meals. I enter the recipe name as the task name, and put the recipe on the Notes field. I can use tags to categorize them, and can then browse through my recipes quickly to schedule a week or two of meals at a time and put together my shopping list.
Then, all I have to do is look at today's schedule to see what's for dinner.
Once the meal is done, I change the due date to never and it's ready for rescheduling.
Posted at 11:16am on June 12, 2009
johnfoland says:
I love this idea! In fact I have had a similar method in mind for a while now (but I have yet to implement it). I myself would use the Notes field to put the recipe instructions (as you do), but have the ingredients as separate tasks tied to the recipes/meals with tags. That way you could semi-automatically generate grocery lists. I imagine the "tagContains" search term would be rather useful in accomplishing this.

What I like about your method is that you consider scheduling of meals; I dare say you could even extend that using the recurring feature. You could create smartlists that display the next X amount of days ahead of you.

Great idea, nluoma!
Posted 14 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi nluoma and jkalvin,

Both of your tips are Tips & Tricks Tuesday winners this week. We've upgraded your RTM accounts to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 14 years ago
abombm1 says:
I really like these ideas! I've modified further for my own gain. I have a recipe list, where I create a recipe task with the name of the recipe, and all of the ingredient amounts and instructions stored as notes. I then make the recipes a high priority task and sort by that in the list, and add a unique tag to it.

Then, for each ingredient, I create a new task in the Recipes list if it's not already there, and assign the recipe tag to the ingredient.

Now, if I want to make a certain meal, I can easily create a shopping list by searching for the recipe tag, creating duplicate tasks, and moving them to my Shopping list
Posted 14 years ago