Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Using RTM to learn vocabulary

maximilian.scheffler says:
Hey there,

I always have to learn vocabulary or formulas as I am a student.
If you want to remember the new words you have to put them into your long-term memory and you have to repeat the new words.

So here is my tip:

1. Write down the words you have to learn and name the list of the words.
2. Create a new list in RTM e.g. "vocab list"
3. Create a new task and name it as you have named the list of your words, e.g. "vocab, lexical field environment"
4. set repeat "after 3 days"

After 3 days you learn the list of vocabulary again. If you don't know the meaning of the words, you set repeat to "after 3 days" again.
If you know the meaning of the words after these 3 days you set repeat "after 10 days". If you don't know the meaning of the vocab, you set repeat to "after 3 days" again and it starts from the beginning.

If you know the meaning of the words after these 10 days you set repeat "after 30 days"

If you know the meaning of the words after these 30 days you set repeat "after 90 days"

If you know the meaning of the vocab after 90 days, the new words should be in your long-term memory.

You can shange the intervals, if you want to do so.

I hope it will help you to learn vocab easier.

[Sorry for my bad English]
Posted at 4:39pm on June 11, 2009
ajean says:
Great system! I am just using it to remember words that I like, I hadn't thought about the reminder/smartlist yet.

Thanks!
Posted 14 years ago
johnfoland says:
Yes, this is great. You could also even add another layer of distinction with tags. For example, some words you don't need to learn because you already know them, you'd just like to use them more in your everyday spoken vocabulary. The possibilities are endless.

Great idea!
Posted 14 years ago
shaun.smiley says:
anki is 1,000,000 times better at doing this.

ichi2.net/anki
Posted 14 years ago
maximilian.scheffler says:
Thank you for the feedback.
Posted 14 years ago
johnfoland says:
@shaun.smiley : Thanks for sharing that application; it's amazing! I still prefer the visual layout of RTM and the manipulation of the records, but you're right, Anki is much better for the learning part.
Posted 14 years ago