Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Free SMS reminder with Google Calendar

(closed account) says:
I figured out a way to send me sms reminders for tasks in a special list. My telecom provider was not supported for the sms reminder in RTM :(

I like to share the solution:
- Add a list named for example 'smslist'
- Go to tasks
- Go to you 'smslist'
- Pick the URL from the "iCalendar(Events)" at the right
- Add this URL in at Google Calendar
- Edit the settings for the calendar named 'smslist'
- Go to notifiers and choose for every event you want a SMS

Note; the calendar does not show directly your tasks in your calendar because there is a delay. See: http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=38847&topic=15292

I hope this will help for some people.

Grtz, Pim
Posted at 2:27pm on January 15, 2009
(closed account) says:
I do the same thing cause my phone doesnt work with rtm either. It was a good idea to post it, pimvdoll!
Posted 15 years ago
nigel.burke says:
Thanks for that, very useful
Posted 15 years ago
chiisana says:
Thank you for sharing this. RTM sends SMS notification to my provider, but my provider treats it as "premium notification" (read: "we want to rip you off for receiving a few bytes of data, too!") which costs 50 cent a message, where as Google sends it as normal SMS messages that are free to receive. I've made the switch over to Google instead now :)
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
could you please elaborate the process a littel more sorry for being such an idot
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thank you. I was wondering why Google Calendar wasn't updating with my tasks straight away.
Posted 14 years ago
ralfvd says:
I am struggling quite a bit with this tip. I have created the list, I have the webcal feed, but Google either

1) gives an error when trying to download the intial content
2) doesn't give an error, but doesn't display my events.

I have found that the event link needs authentication, so I have added my username and password in the URL ( ralfvd:>@URL ) ; when trying to manually download the ICS file, this helps, but Google still doesn't download the content. I've waited for more than 1 week, which should be enough for Google to catchup.

Any ideas? This would greatly enhance my RTM experience, as the normal SMS notification isn't working for the Country/Provider combination I am using.

TIA
Posted 14 years ago
ralfvd says:
It always helps to post your own problem. I had to turn on "private URL" in the General settings of RTM . After that, the URL that is mentioned per list is working flawlessly .

Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
"- Pick the URL from the "iCalendar(Events)" at the right "
Don't see this anywhere on the RTM screen. I have a URL field, which is blank to take a URL. But no "iCalendar events". Where/how do you get this?
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Took me a while, but I found it.
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
For posterity: You have to have a list selected, not a task.

More details, including some screenshots, in the Help.
Posted 14 years ago
suk.sar says:
It is taking more than 5 hours to update in Google Calendar..Any idea how to make it instant.....
Posted 14 years ago
suk.sar says:
Even after enabling private address asking for password when using Sunbird for testing.....
Due to that google is not able to load Events through iCal...
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
So if i add a task in the "sms list" through RTM i will get SMS reminders even if my country isnt supported by RTM (but is supported by Google calendar)? This is what i believed , and this was the main reason that i took steps recommended by pimvdnoll, but i just added a task in the "sms list" and choosed to be reminded after 10minutes , and i didn't receive SMS but i received the reminder email....
Confused!
Posted 14 years ago
xxjohnboy says:
yp, reminders is a must. I just had a quick look at other organisers online, than realised I couldn't be arsed learning another organiser right now. But lack of decent reminders did make me think about it.

I want my life to be auto-piloted! I want I want I want! for FREE FREE FREE!!

Posted 14 years ago
leah.shalom Power Poster says:
Great idea. Does adding the calendar to Google Calendar make the URL public when we take the step "Click on the 'Public Calendar Address' tab."? I realize that we set RTM to have the calendar be private in RTM, but will people be able to see the list through Google?

Thanks,
Leah
Posted 14 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
leah.shalom,
When you choose "Add by URL" in Google Calendar, Google will not make the calender public unless you check the box "Make the calendar publicly accessible".
Posted 14 years ago