Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Using Lists

andrew.burgess says:
I could probably post this in the help forum, but as this is mroe of a question regarding the use of RTM as opposed to a question about RTM itself, I thought I'd put it here.

I'm wondering how people use lists; do you have only one list for all tasks and then tag and sort with smart lists, or do you divide your tasks into separate "real" lists? Do you use lists for things other than tasks? I'd be interested in any other list related best-practices or tips!

TIA,
Andrew
Posted at 5:34pm on August 19, 2008
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I'd be happy to offer more detail if you wish, but I'll just start by chiming in that I have an inbox, one 'real' list, and then about two dozen smart lists. I think tagging and smart lists are the tools that make RTM the best in class.

Always interested to hear others' thoughts.
Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
I have only a few lists:
Inbox for all incoming and ongoing tasks (the latter distinguished by having tags or other meta information)
Later for tasks I might want to do in the future but not clutter up my inbox
Waiting for for tasks that needs some kind of input from others
Projects for project titles
Subprojects for subproject titles
¤ for system tasks/info
I use a GreaseMonkey script to hide all the lists except the Inbox among the tabs, I access these lists through the tag cloud instead.
Posted 15 years ago
andrew.burgess says:
@ranbarton - Thanks!

@rajjan - Interesting; how do you use (sub)project titles? Are they just tasks with your tag cloud projects dividers? If so, does that mean you have a separate section in your tag cloud for each project? And, if you don't mind, could you explain a bit more about your ¤ list?

Thanks for your help!
Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
I only use a project tag for normal/small projects and access the project through the tag cloud.

For major project (maybe 3-4 at work) I use the Greasemonkey script RTM Tag Cloud Colorizer (does a lot of other things too) and create projects named p01_Project1. This will create a separate part in the tag cloud. I then add one level of subtasks by reusing the prefix p01 (in this case Report and Tasks)

The ¤ lists is excluded from all my smart lists meaning that I can put anything there without having it clutter up my screen all the time. I have but a few entries there, describing the way subtasks work in the RTM Tag Cloud Colorizer, verbs to use in tasks, and other meta info that are not really tags. I also use it for tests, presently working on a weekend smart lists based on due dates only.
Posted 15 years ago