Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Dictate a task with your phone...

(closed account) says:
I've connected my Jott (http://www.jott.com) account with my RTM account by adding my RTM inbox address to Jott.

With Jott, you can voice dictate a task which will be emailed to you. Using my RTM inbox email address means I automatically get an RTM Inbox task. Couple that with a mobile phone and you can create tasks incredibly easy..

It works well except that the message body generated by Jott is an HTML message and the notes field in RTM displays it as standard text.

It would be very cool if that HTML mail body could be shown using and iframe tag... If I go to edit the notes you'd want to convert the text to standard text (like converting an HTML email to a text email)..
Posted at 10:48pm on October 12, 2007
david.sellin says:
test
Posted 16 years ago
(closed account) says:
What a great idea. This just gets better and better. I have also started testing a couple other productivity services:

iwantsandy.com - this one helps to manage your email and appointments. Acts like an admin to auto add things to your calendar. Not sure about it yet.

youmail.com - another phone answering service. If you don't like the voicemail from your phone provider, check this one out.

grandcentral.com - like youmail but has other features like ringing through to multiple numbers
Posted 16 years ago
vasracer says:
this jott thing is great...i love it...my only wish it that it transcribe voice to text and then to sms, rather than just a text message to a telephone number, then i could call an appointment into google calendar as well...no typing!
Posted 16 years ago
beau.raines says:
Vasracer - check out http://www.grinn.net/blog/dev/2007/09/add-to-google-calendar-by-talking-into.html for Jott to Google Calendar. It works pretty well.

Emily - this API might be the way to get Jott to RTM going!
Posted 16 years ago
jblaine says:
I would argue that Jott using HTML email messages for its service is the sore spot. Jott should be addressed about changing their end.
Posted 16 years ago
derek.schauland says:
I have been using GrandCentral for a while now and have published the number as my mobile with the office....

Because of the online management of messages and callers it is a great service.

I also tried IwantSandy.com which is a great service, but with RTM doesnt it get a little overwhelming? And you cannot add directly from Sandy to Google Calendar

As for jott you can add the email address for RTM right to Jott or jott using Twitter both work just fine, although a jott link right to the RTM API would be cool
Posted 16 years ago
becky.holt says:
I love the Jott and RTM integration. Makes me life so much easier--especially while driving.
Posted 16 years ago
deekod says:
UK users may wish to try "Spinvox"

http://www.spinvox.com/homepage.html

I use this in the UK and it works great.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
As I'm a (proud) Belgian guy, I cannot use jott ;((
Anybody knows about a similar service but usable in Belgium?
Posted 15 years ago
icekahlua says:
Yes , i wanna know about some service to use in SPAIN.

Thanks in avance.
Posted 15 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
And the same for Sweden please!
Posted 15 years ago
icekahlua says:
It's possible to use spinbox in spain, for now it's free. !!!

Thanks deekod
Posted 15 years ago
johnnys says:
thats pretty cool!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I've been using Jott to rtm as well and I love it. I'm just worried about the day that Jott decides to start charging. I'm so addicted that they could rake me over the coals.
Posted 15 years ago
handust says:
So are you just weeding your task out of the HTML mess in notes? I must be missing something here, as the way it's appearing in my inbox it is next to useless to me. I'll go nuts trying to clean up all the tasks. How are you avoiding doing this?
Posted 15 years ago
handust says:
Oy. Nevermind - I see my mistake already. I was emailing to RTM through an account I set up myself, rather than using their link. NOW I think I might become addicted as well!
Posted 15 years ago
apjk says:
@deekod

could you please please give some insight on how you got spinvox running with RTM ?

i was really hoping for a jott alternative in germany with spinvox… but i can't figure it out since all mails send by spinvox have the same title and you cant change the formating to feed RTM correctly… as far as i can see. (the an spinvox site is an absolute nightmare).
Posted 15 years ago
apjk says:
@ icekahlua
how do you link spinvox and RTM ?

i still can't get the spinvox memo to work with RTM.

if anyone has a working international jott alternative… please bring it on!
cheers.
Posted 15 years ago
deekod says:
Hi - the spinvox memo will have the contents of your task in the notes, its a case of cutting and pasting into the correct fields. Its not perfect but at least you have something in your inbox without having to logon to the web.

DD
Posted 15 years ago
sew4toon8 says:
Handust I'm not sure what u mean...could u xplain the set up I need to do prettiful please??
Posted 15 years ago
apjk says:
ok, i got something set up now using the reqall iphone app -> googlemail -> rtm.

the free reqall iphone app is quite nice and boots relatively fast. the button to dictate a new task is easy enough to hit and the app syncs automatically with it's home to transcribe the message.

at the reqall website set up to get notifications for new audio posts via email… route that email with a filter of your email provider of choice (gmail here) to your secret rtm inbox addess. do not use the rtm address directly from reqall as you might create a service email dead end with it.

i just got this set up and didn't test on a daily basis but it actually feels ok.

i would still prefer a german jott service number though.

spinvox still scares me as the website is such trash and it adds "message from spinvox" or similar (i didn't bother to test more, wake me up if they fixed this) to every mail rendering them useless for rtm.

cheers.
Posted 15 years ago
marc.weil says:
@apjk: A service email dead-end? What do you mean?
Posted 15 years ago
apjk says:
@marc.weil
…meaning that you will not be able to answer a "confirm" mail that was send to your rememberthemilk inbox directly. that's why i suggest to put a forwarding regular mail service in between.
hope this helps.
i have been using this setup now for a wile … woks great. also the iphone Todo by appigo app is great and even better with its new version.
cheers.
Posted 15 years ago