Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Erasing a tag completely

bzpilman says:
I think many people will find this useful for an easy quick way to eradicate a tag from ALL tasks (even from completed ones, without having to uncomplete them!).

Currently, it's sometimes a great pain to erase/replace a tag, even in multi-edit, because it just shows you , even if all tasks selected have the tag.

Use this mostly unnoticed great tool:
http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/ext/tagtolocation.rtm

Just create some symbolic Location, I use 'Deleted' for instance.

Then you can easily click that location in the tag box, and then (multi-edit) erase it and/or add another tag as replacement.

As an added benefit, you can use it to see all your tags and exactly how many tasks are tagged with each, spanning completed and uncomplete. I know mousing over a tag in the tag box shows a tooltip, but this way you can, for GTDers, compare project scope if you use tags for them.

Hope it helps,
Bern
Posted at 2:32am on September 6, 2007
bzpilman says:
** "because it just shows you (Multiple), ..."

The forum thought (Multiple) was an html parameter =D
Posted 16 years ago
johnfoland says:
You're the man! Thank you so much for pointing that out! I had never seen that page before now.
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
This is incredibly creative!

I'd forgotten we even had that tag to location converter (as evidenced by the fact that it looks like we forgot to change the styles on that page when we redesigned the site a few months back :)

Should probably link to that on the site somewhere...
Posted 16 years ago
bzpilman says:
It is under services at the URL, but you can't find it on the services page. I guess that would be a good start =)
Posted 16 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Ah, that would be logical :)
Posted 16 years ago
angela.randall says:
Great idea. :)
Posted 16 years ago
bzpilman says:
There may be people trying to take advantage of this hack who don't know how to append a tag to several tasks without deleting original tags.

For replacing/renaming a tag, you:

• first, use the hack described in the original post, and turn the old tag into a location
(Important: create an exclusive location for this process. It's just a placeholder, not really a "Location")
• then, search for all tasks with that location.
• enter multi-edit mode (press 'm').
• select all tasks from the search results (press 'a').
• you will see [Multiple] in the tags field (unless all selected tasks are identically tagged, in wich case you'll simply see those tags).
without deleting the [Multiple], write the new tag just after it, separating by space or comma.
• still with all tasks selected in multi-edit, delete the Location.

Done! You just replaced and old tag for a new one, no matter how diversely tagged the tasks were.

Note: It doesn't automatically add the new tag to completed taks. Those will have the original tag deleted, and will stay with the location, unless you uncomplete them in order to process them.
Posted 16 years ago