Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

New Yahoo Widget

graeme.mccormack says:
You can now get RTM via your favourite widget engine (ok, via my favourite widget engine!):

http://widgets.yahoo.com/gallery/view.php?widget=42266

A perennial request in this forum has been a "start date" feature. This is what drove me to create the "Mind Like A Sieve" widget, which adds a notice period feature to RTM.

The widget interprets certain tags as a notice period. E.g. "np-1w" means "1 week notice period"; "np-3d" means "3 day notice period", etc. (If you don't like your tags being polluted this way, you can put the same markup inside a note.) You tell the widget how many notice periods to display. Two notice periods works well. So a task with "np-2d" would appear 4 days before it was due; a "np-1mo" task would be visible for 2 months.

Please give it a go, and let me know what you think - here or on the widget feedback.
Posted at 8:39pm on July 30, 2007
james.xin says:
I can not use it. It just keeping poping up dialog windows like a virus, and I really got no idea how to config it ---- no place for me to input my username/password.

Can someone tell me something about this?
Posted 16 years ago
ajcowell says:
On first install something went wrong with the authentication step and now I get errors (Error in rtm: code =10). Tried to delete and reinstall but it doesn't prompt me to reauthorize. Is there a preference file somewhere that needs to be deleted?
Posted 16 years ago
graeme.mccormack says:
I see that I will have to re-write this bit of the widget.

Because it updates asynchronously, you can end up with several auth failures at the same time, which is confusing.

When you first use the widget, it won't be authorised to access your tasks. Up comes the first dialog box. Click the "Authorise" button, and it should open a web page which will grant the widget permission. When you've done that, click "continue" on the next dialog box, and you should be done. You won't have to do it again.

If you go through the steps reasonably quickly (under a minute), you shouldn't have any trouble.

I don't know what code 10 means. was it code 101(invalid frob)? This is a symptom of the widget trying to reauthorise several times at once.
Posted 16 years ago
graeme.mccormack says:
ajcowell wrote:
>> Tried to delete and reinstall but it doesn't prompt me to reauthorize.

If it isn't prompting you, it is because it is authorised already. You only have to do it once. If you want to de-authorise the widget, you do it through the RTM web-site - in your settings, services tab.

If there's a line on there for "Mind Like A Sieve", it is authorised.

The authorisation token is stored as a hidden preference for the widget. It's encrypted by the widget engine, so it should be secure (-ish).
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Graeme - here's a quick question about your wonderful widget. Could it be configured to show the items from a given list or smartlist only? When I open it, I see all 300 or so of my open tasks, and it's overwhelming.

You're great to make this device. Please don't take my questions as carping.
Posted 16 years ago
graeme.mccormack says:
Hi ranbarton,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm testing a new version. One change is that it now can take a filter. This will let you filter by tag, listname, etc. I should be releasing it in the next few days.
Posted 16 years ago
ranbarton Power Poster says:
Very encouraging. Thanks for the update.

Ran
Posted 16 years ago
graeme.mccormack says:
The new version (1.1) is up on the yahoo widget gallery.

The two main changes are the addition of a filter, and an improved authorisation experience. Maybe james.xin and ajcowell will give it another go.
Posted 16 years ago