Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Taming an overwhelming list by starring items

tvjames says:
I use my list to keep track of all the stuff I need to do at home. I use Siri to "Remind me to..." all the time. I use labels and specific naming conventions to identify areas of the home (and keep them sorted together). I use priority to show what time of day I can work on certain things.

But when the list gets long (especially if I postponed a bunch from the day before), I'm quickly overwhelmed and don't want to do anything.

So I've created a hack of sorts to give me the functionality of stars similar to Gmail.

I have a filter called *** that simply looks for "***". When the list is feeling really long, I will go through the list looking for easy items to get checked off and hit "R" to rename, right-arrow to get to the end, and then type "***"

Do that for 5-10 items, then switch to that list. Voila - a simple list of stuff I can tackle to get me in the mood to check things off.

(Added bonus - you can then zoom in with command/control-plus and have it fill your screen so you can see it from a distance.)
Posted at 1:42am on January 26, 2014
tvjames says:
Caveat: for repeating items, I do have to edit to remove the *** or else it remains on the list after I check it off, but that's easy to do with the keyboard and a short list.
Posted 10 years ago