Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Making a habit of 8 glasses of water daily

rtm_user_123 says:
I have been trying to drink 8 glasses of water daily, so as to get the right amount of hydration during the day.

My first attempt was to create a daily repeating task "Drink 8 glasses of water" in RTM. So far so good. The problem was it never got impemented. I drank 4, 5 or 6 glasses of water, but never hit 8.

Then, it occurred to me that I was unable to hit his goal because it was too big of a goal to do at one time. Moreover, I did not drink 8 glasses all at once. So, then I decided to align the RTM tasks to how I actually did things.

So, my next approach was to create 4 tasks throughout the day with specific times by which they were to be done:

1. Drink 2 glasses of water before 9 am ^today at 9 am #Personal *daily

2. Drink 2 glasses of water before noon ^today at noon #Personal *daily

3. Drink 2 glasses of water before 5 pm ^today at 5pm #Personal *daily

4. Drink 2 glasses of water before 9 pm ^today at 9 pm #Personal *daily

Now, I no longer to think about hitting a goal of 8 glasses. I am only focused on finishing 2 glasses by 9 am. Once I am past that, I am only thnking about the next two before noon.

This approach has helped me stay on track for far longer.
Posted at 4:31pm on December 11, 2013
mehardin says:
I like it. I struggle with my weight, and increasing water intake always helps. I'm going to give it a try.
Posted 10 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi rtm_user_123,

Nice way of breaking this goal down -- I'm going to have to try this. :)

You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, so we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. Thanks for sharing your tip!
Posted 9 years ago
chrisfleming says:
Like the tip, but remember that no one really seems to know where the 8 glasses a day thing comes from and there doesn't seem to be any evidence for it. Drink when you're thirsty and you'll be okay...
Posted 9 years ago
dave.liao says:
Thanks for the tip!
Posted 9 years ago
(closed account) says:
this is a good one, thanks for this. I use a "Habit Calendar", but it is much better, because RTM is checked at least every 2 hours.
Posted 9 years ago