Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

A more encouraging Today's Tasks list

taylor.andrew says:
Ages ago I set up my smart list for Today's Tasks:

due:today OR dueBefore:today

Dead easy, and nothing wrong with it. But a friend introduced me to Ben Franklin's philosophy of getting things done, and as well as "What Good Shall I Do This Day?", he asks "What Good Have I Done This Day?". So now my smart list is this:

completed:today OR (status:incomplete AND (due:today OR dueBefore:today))

It's exactly the same -- except that if I click the "2 completed" link at the bottom, I see the list of things I've done today. It's encouraging when it's 5PM and I still have a bunch of things to do, and it's good for taking stock at the end of the day, if that's how you roll. (Personally, that part doesn't do anything for me but I hear it's a thing.)

The nice part is, it does it without creating an extra list -- I have enough lists already -- and you can apply the same basic idea to almost any smart list you use.
Posted at 7:14pm on October 17, 2013
(closed account) says:
I like this but the only issue I have with it is that the ORs break the fact that I can go into my "Today" list and add things to today without specifying a date, because the syntax is just due:today.

This would, unless I've misunderstood, prevent this inheriting of the list's criteria in each case. Not much of a problem, it depends how you work I suppose. Personally, an extra "done today" list and a strict set of criteria for each list saves me time. I like what you are getting at though!
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
Should add that I have an "Overdue" list and a "Today" list separately to do what you apparently have one list for, so maybe you don't rely on adding things to unambiguous lists like I do :)
Posted 10 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi taylor.andrew,

Nice Smart List. :) You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've upgraded your Remember The Milk account with a free year of Pro.
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
i would like to use this smartlist as well, but it seems that completed;today doesn't work with incomplete tasks. I only get the incomplete tasks in my list.

I'm using the website. Can anyone help me out please ?
Posted 10 years ago
jay.baker says:
This also is not working for me. I must be doing something wrong, but I copied it straight from the post.
Thoughts?
Posted 9 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi arthurhabraken and jay.baker,
It's not possible to view completed and incomplete tasks at the same time, but what this Smart List will let you do is click the "# completed" link on the right, in the Smart List's Details box, to view the completed tasks from today as well.

Hope this helps!
Posted 9 years ago
pachela says:
I like this & am adding it to a couple lists. Thanks for the tip.
Posted 9 years ago
pwesolek says:
You could also say a bit simpler

completed:today OR (status:incomplete AND dueBefore:tomorrow)

Thanks, added to my smart lists!
Posted 9 years ago
jeroen.latour says:
Very nice! Never thought of that. Thanks for sharing.
Posted 9 years ago