Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Make your work really flow with Evernote and Remember the Milk!

ganzee says:
Did you know that you can email actionable items to Evernote and have them automagically appear in Remember the Milk?

Follow the instructions available at the link below to integrate your Evernote and Remember the Milk accounts.

http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2013/05/manage-your-evernote-reminders-with-remember-the-milk/

Now things get really clever....

When you get an email that needs action on a later date you simply send the mail with attachments to your Evernote email address. If you add a due date to the end of the subject line in the following format !YYYY/MM/DD, a reminder will be created in Evernote. This will automatically create a new task in your Remember the Milk inbox with the due date specified.

So far so good....

But what if you have something for which the due date has not yet been set? Up til now, you could copy the specific Evernote note url to the task url in Remember the Milk. Whilst this works, it is time-consuming, and essentially a manual hack.

All of this has now changed...

When you email an actionable item to Evernote for which the due is not yet known or agreed, simply omit the YYYY/MM/DD element from the !YYYY/MM/DD described above. For example: a subject line of 'Review new eBook !' will create a note in Evernote with Reminder and an associated task in Remember the Milk.

By adopting this approach, my Weekly Review was both fun and immense in equal measure. Having all of my support materials from Evernote linked to Remember the Milk made the whole process a breeze. What's more, I can do this all on web or mobile platforms (Windows will eventually give another option). I love how I can click through from Remember the Milk.and open the Evernote note. By no longer having to use the url hack, this just 'feels right'.

Try it out and let me know what you think!

Posted at 2:29pm on June 11, 2013
johnwin says:
Great post ganzee
Posted 10 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Nice tip, ganzee! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, so we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
This is probably more of a question for Evernote, but when I append the !YYYY/MM/DD or ! to the end of the subject line it does not show up with a reminder set. I just get the note with the appended string. Do you have any pointers? It's a great idea BTW.
Posted 10 years ago
bkweathe says:
It appears that the space right before the exclamation point is required for this to work. Without that space, Evernote did not treat the item as a task to be passed to RTM in my testing.
Posted 10 years ago
bikingroger says:
Is there a way to get the email-task to show up in a specific List? Mine are just appearing in Inbox - is that the way it's set up? Thanks! Love the integration.
Posted 10 years ago
andrewski (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi bikingroger,
Email will go to your Inbox by default, but you can change it. See the examples on our email page for details using Smart Add in the subject or the properties in the email body.

Hope this helps!
Posted 10 years ago