Bienvenue !  Français Language Switcher

Repeat after the next week day...

matthew.bassett says:

I recently discovered that you can give a day name when specifying 'after' for repeat, for example:

Vacuum *after sunday

The effect of this is that regardless of when you complete the task, it will next be scheduled for the next available sunday.

I use this to maintain my housework routine. For example: I have a task to remind me to vacuum the house every Sunday, but I am not always there at the weekend so sometimes end up vacuuming later in the week-- but when I complete the task I want it to go to the next available Sunday, and not to 1 week after I complete it (which could be any day of the week).

Posted at 10:25am on May 10, 2013

matthew.bassett says:

Also discovered the following-- you can give more than 1 day name, e.g.:

Laundry *after monday, wednesday, friday

Or for something that needs to repeat every weekday, but not weekends, you can just say 'weekday'

Clean email inbox *after weekday

(discovered this one by accident when asking something to repeat after monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, friday and it was automatically converted to weekday for me...)

Posted 1 year ago

emily (Remember The Milk) says:

Hi Matthew,

Nice use of repeats!

You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)

Posted 1 year ago

kthdsn Pro says:

Most helpful thing ever, thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

freeminder Pro says:

Nice tip indeed, thank you!
But would be even better if note loss issue was fixed for "repeat after" tasks :)
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/11328/

Posted 1 year ago

robert.ward Pro says:

Is there a way to use this but for two weeks out? For example I don't want to Vacuum every week, just every two weeks on Saturday.

Posted 1 year ago

patchouli_grl says:

Great tip! Definitely one I didn't know about and can certainly use. Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

brendan Pro says:

Hi robert.ward,
For 2 weeks out, try using after 2nd Saturday. This means, "not the upcoming Saturday, but the next one."

Hope this helps!

Posted 1 year ago

echarles Pro says:

Very nice! That will definitely be useful for some of mine where the actual getting done day is a bit flexible.

Posted 1 year ago

kirsten.miller says:

Rob,
another way to get the same result is *after 14 days. It works great for seasonal and monthly tasks. :)

Posted 1 year ago

kunal.n.bhatia Pro says:

In this case, wouldn't the behaviour be same if Repeat was set to "Every Sunday" ?

If I understand correctly, "Repeat after" creates a new task from the day the previous one was completed. While "Repeat every" creates a new task irrespective of whether the previous one was competed.

To illustrate - if a task is created on the 7th and the aim is to repeat it weekly; and the first week's task is completed on the 10th then:
-- "Repeat every week" would create a new task for 14th, 21st, 28th and so on, irrespective of the day when these tasks were completed (which maybe on the 10th, 18th, 22nd / whenever)
-- Where as "Repeat after one week" would create a new task only after the previous one was completed. So once the task is completed on the 10th, the next one gets scheduled for the 17th.

Isn't that right ?

Posted 1 year ago

osarjeant Pro says:

After won't create the second instance until the first one is complete. It also, won't copy notes over. It's a small difference from every.

Posted 1 year ago