Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

See only what you want to see when you want to see it...

clziegler says:
I really LOVE the fact that smart lists can be created to show EXACTLY what you want to see -- no more and no less.

I do our household finances at home on Tuesday nights.

I have a smart list that lists all the tasks that are due today @home. I also have a smart list that lists all the tasks that are related to finances on a separate smart list.

It really, really, really drove me nuts to see the finances tasks on my @home list because I only needed to see them when I sat down to actually DO finances. And when I sat down to DO finances, I didn't want to get distracted by all the OTHER things I needed to do.

I also recently added a life insurance list which I also wanted to show up on the finances list but NOT on the @home list.

I had a hard time nailing down the syntax to get exactly what I wanted -- so I used the chat now feature (my current web favorite feature) -- and Brendan helped me nail it down.

I share my two lists because I think they really showcase just what you can do.

I'll warn you -- the syntax is pretty organic -- I just kept shoving things on the end as I clarified what I wanted to see. There is probably a much more elegant way to phrase them... but again I think that highlights the beauty of RTM.

Here is my Today @home list syntax:

(list:NEXT_ACTION and location:@home ) or (tag:monthend and dueWithin:"3 days of today" and location:@home) or (dueBefore:tomorrow or tag:Next) and location:@home and NOT list:finances and NOT list:"s_life ins"

Here is my Finances this week syntax:

due:never or (tag:monthend and dueWithin:"3 days of today") or (dueWithin:"1 week of today") or and location:@home and (list:finances or list:"s_life ins")

Brendan, I will bless your name every Tuesday night for many years to come!
Posted at 4:00pm on May 3, 2013
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi clziegler,

Nice use of Smart Lists! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, so we've added a free year of Pro to your account. :)
Posted 10 years ago