Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Groceries

agentpenguin says:
I get tired of constantly re-entering different items into my RTM list "shopping," so one day I sat down and made a list that included all of the items that I commonly buy. Then, I tagged each one with the aisle number in my local grocery store and grouped the list alphabetically, so it is automatically sorted by aisle:

For example: (Aisle # - Item)
1 - Bananas
1 - Potatoes
4 - Salmon
6 - Butter
6 - Cream Cheese
9 - Baguette

Then, I mark everything as "complete" and when it comes time to make my shopping list, I make the items that I need to buy that trip as incomplete. This way, I don't have to re-enter everything, and also I can see all the items I usually buy when I'm looking through the completed list of items, so I can catch myself if I miss something.

The aisle sorting works really well too, because everything I need is already pre-sorted so I don't have to scroll through the list to make sure that I got all the veggies, or etc!
Posted at 4:06pm on November 13, 2012
deethequeen says:
I'm new to RTM. Your method is simple and easy to do. Thanks
Posted 6 years ago
darcy.wettersten says:
I use a similar method, although I simply make my grocery items never due and each item/"task" is part of a large and ever-building list called "Provisions". I tag the items that I need to purchase with a tag called "--need" as I go through the week. By naming the tag "--need" I've ensured that the "--need" tag is the first one to appear on my list of tags because "--" comes before any numbers or letters in RTM. As I pick up items up at the store I can simply un-check the "--need" tag on a group of items using the "edit" feature and then "edit tags" from within the items that are tagged "--need". This works super-easily from my phone.
Posted 6 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi agentpenguin,

Great tip! You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, and we've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 6 years ago
mathieu.hubeek says:
Great tip!

Grocery shopping is one of the things I really hate, I like it to go as efficient as possible. This method of "uncomplete swipe" to make the shopping list is great.
In store the items are correctly sorted and you just swipe to complete and get out as fast as you can.

There is only 1 downside, the completed tasks are only sortable by completed date.
After a shopping spree the last bought items go to the top of the list.

It would be great if we had more sorting options for the completed tasks.
(suggested in forum ideas: https://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/11092/ )

Please upvote
Posted 6 years ago