Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Is there A Way To Convert Websites Easily To RTM?

jczelust says:
I blog and would love to use some sort of 'web clipper' to convert a web page into a task. There was a competitor to RTM that had this capability and it was phenomenal. It was phenomenal until that didn't have an app for my Kindle Fire HD which I need.

Is there a browser that has this type of extension? Can you shoot me a link if there is? It would be a monumental asset.

Thanks for your time!
Posted at 7:34pm on October 11, 2012
brendan says:
Hi jczelust,

We don't currently have a service that converts web pages to tasks, sorry. However, we do offer the Quick Add Bookmarklet which you can add to your browser's bookmarks bar. This makes it easy to add a task while you're browsing. While the bookmarklet doesn't include a URL field, you can also add a web page's URL to the task for easy retrieval later.

Hope this helps!
Posted 11 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
You could make your own bookmarklet using this code (spaces inserted for clarity, remove if needed):

javascript:(function(){h='m.rememberthemilk.com';p='/add';if(window.getSelection) {t=window.getSelection();}else%20if(document.getSelection) {t=document.getSelection();}else%20if(document.selection) {t=document.selection.createRange().text;}; cp='http://'+h+p+'?name='+((null==t||t==""||t==undefined)?encodeURIComponent(document.title):t)+' &url='+encodeURIComponent(location.href); w=window.open(cp,'addwindow','status=no,toolbar=no,width=250,height=560,resizable=yes'); setTimeout(function(){w.focus();},500);})();

Some advantages over the Quick Add provided by RTM (RTM, feel free to copy ;-)
- uses the mobile version of the UI (well, not really an advantage, but a necessary step)
- uses browser's current URL in the new task's URL field
- if you have selected text, uses that as the task name, otherwise it uses the Page Title
Posted 11 years ago
zkestenbaum says:
rajjan - that's great, I've been looking for something like that.
Posted 11 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Thanks! Using this bookmarklet, you have to login to the mobile site once in a while (weeks?) but apart from that, I prefer this bookmarklet to the one provided by RTM.
Posted 11 years ago
axehandle says:
This is helpful, thanks! I made the mistake of assuming the Quick Add bookmarklet included the URL, which left me confused with a batch of todos with no URL. And, where are GMail link stored? I can't see them outside the RTM-GMail browser plugin.

Bob, please have your team update your Quick Add bookmarklet to include a URL... your URL field in each task is a great feature, so use it!
Posted 11 years ago
brendan says:
Hi axehandle,
The Gmail Add-on's connection to the original email message is only available to the add-on. You're not currently able to access it from the web app or other services, sorry.

Thanks for your feedback on the bookmarklet!
Posted 11 years ago