Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Tip for reducing the no of tasks each day

(closed account) says:
After a while I felt the number of tasks was going up and I wanted to reduce the structural deficit of the tasks (e.g non repeating tasks)

So what I did is created a smart List to track the tasks I've added today VS the tasks I've managed to cross off today.
(added:today or completed:today) and isRepeating:false

This allows me to say that I've added 4 tasks today BUT reduced the structural deficit by completing 8 tasks. Hence i'm down 4 tasks.
Then I create a repeating task (I use tags:++Objective and Priority HIGH) to reduce each day the deficit by 5 tasks.

Just my current approach for getting motivated to crank out those small project tasks i've got lying around

Posted at 6:29am on September 11, 2012
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi byronsp,

Awesome idea for a Smart List!

You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner, so we've upgraded your account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 11 years ago
rob.dugan says:
byronsp
It takes a lot for me to actually post to forums.. in fact this is my first RTM post ever. Thanks for the tip. This is exactly what I needed as I felt I was starting to sink a little bit under the weight of tasks. Just set up as per your tip and I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I also set up lists for repeating and non-repeating so at a glance I could see the difference. I just realised the 'repeating' tasks don't stress me as they are part of 'life' but the non-repeats are the ones that bug me if they don't get done so I'll focus on a few of them each day. If you're ever in Sydney I'll shout you a brew for that.Cheers.
Posted 11 years ago
philipbowman says:
Neat! Is there a way to get the completed and added tasks in the same list? Or do you have to switch between added / completed? Guess that does make it easier to count, though..
Posted 11 years ago
brendan says:
Hi philipbowman,
It's not possible to see both incomplete and completed tasks at the same time. You're always viewing either one or the other.
Posted 11 years ago
jersiaise says:
I've used this tip for a while now, and it is really useful, thank you very much! :) I added another criteria to the search, to exclude tasks I have both added and completed on the same day. As they can only be shown in one of the lists (completed or incomplete), this kind of tasks kept distorting my daily balance in this smart list. So I added the following search criteria:

AND NOT (added:today AND completed:today)
Posted 8 years ago