Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Remember friends' important things on the correct date

liffer says:
I'd like to be the friend who remembers everything about her friends and asks the correct questions the right time, but it is a hard job for the brain to keep track of and remember it all.
So in a true GTD-way of organizing my thoughts and concerns I write down also stuff like "send message to XXX and ask about how that health check went" and other important things into RTM.

More detailed: say I'm talking to a friend and he/she tells me about something important in her life, like "next wednesday I'll found out if I got that job I applied for!" or "in two days I'll get the results from the health check" and so on. I then immediately write it down briefly in my rtm-inbox. The tasks looks like "friendxx new job wednesday" as I mostly don't have time to write it down properly.
In the evening I empty my inbox and I change these tasks to better sentences "Call friendX and ask if she got that new job on companyY" and set the due date to the date I need to make the call.

I also set the task into a context (@call, @computer, @work for example) and I also use the sleep tags discussed in other topics here. I then use smart lists as my daily to do lists and I don't have to see these tasks until I can do something about them.
Posted at 12:17pm on March 13, 2012
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
Nice tip! I like the part about the sleeper tags (not that I'm impartial ;-), works really well in this case.
Posted 12 years ago
liffer says:
Yes, the sleeper tags are a great "feature" as long as we don't get start dates! :)
A must for keeping my lists as clean and accurate as possible.
Posted 12 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi liffer,

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your Remember The Milk account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 11 years ago