Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

RTM Dashboard Widget now available

yoelinbar says:
I've completed the first version of a Mac OS Dashboard widget for RTM. It is (intentionally) simpler than the google widget: all it does is show your tasks, with due dates, and allow you to mark them as complete (by checking the box to their left).

Because it's natively created for Dashboard, it can take advantage of some of the cool controls that apple provides, most notably the scrollbar.

At this point, I think it's ready for wider testing. I'd like to hear about:

1. Bugs. Is something not working as expected?
2. Features you'd like. What should it be doing that it isn't? Right now it does everything that I want, but admittedly I don't come close to using all the features of RTM.

You can grab it here -- please post in this thread with feedback!

Also, Emily: I emailed you to mention that I use the RTM logo as part of the widget -- please let me know if you'd like me to change that.

Posted at 6:04pm on January 5, 2007
ranbarton Power Poster says:
I look forward to trying this out at home - thank you for writing this.
Posted 17 years ago
cozmokrmr says:
I love it...but I would like the ability to reverse something checked if possible. Checking something shows it completed, but if I accidentally check something, there is no way to revert it back to incomplete

But...great addition!!!
Posted 17 years ago
brad.perkins says:
Thank you so much for this!! No bugs yet....would like the ability to postpone or edit the widget similar to the Google Homepage RTM gadget.
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
nice...I love the mac support
Posted 17 years ago
yoelinbar says:
I've added the ability to undo marking tasks as complete. I'm still thinking about adding other functionality (e.g., adding tasks or modifying the attributes of existing ones).

You can download the new version here.
Posted 17 years ago
I haven't downloaded today's version, but the one from five days ago is very attractive. I have no idea if the API would permit you to display only the contents of a particular smartlist, for example, but for me, at the moment, displaying all of the tasks is overwhelming. I have so many undated someday/maybe items that are notes but not tasks that it's confusing. I'd love to point your widget at my daily task list smart list and just display that for example.

[I'd like to do that with the RTM GPHP widget, too, for that matter.]

I applaud your efforts to bring this to the Mac, and thank you for sharing.
Posted 17 years ago
yoelinbar says:
ranbarton:
Thanks for your suggestion! I believe that the API will allow this, and it's something I'll look at adding, since it could just be a preference that defaults to the current behavior (showing tasks from all lists).
Posted 17 years ago
Wow - if you can point to a specific smart list, your widget will go from appealing to terrific.

Emily, if this is possible, can it be done with the Google gadget and/or the Google calendar gizmos?
Posted 17 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Ran, hopefully yes :) We're still looking at some issues with integrating this functionality into the Google gadget, but it would be awesome if we can let people choose a Smart List and display tasks from that (that way people can choose any combination of tasks/lists that they'd like to be included).

Yoel, the new version looks great -- love the undo!
Posted 17 years ago
yoelinbar says:
ran,
I added a preference (on the back) to only show tasks from a specific list. Let me know if this doesn't work the way you expected.

You can download the new version here.
Posted 17 years ago
This is really a powerful feature, and makes this so much more useful. Thank you for putting this together, and thank you for this most recent revision.
Posted 17 years ago
jason.lemieux says:
Nice job!
Posted 17 years ago
eshear says:
I was looking for a good dashboard TODO and yours was very clean and easy to use, except there's no way to add tasks from the dashboard that I could find. So for right now I'm using someone else's todo; I'd rather use a web-based one though.
Posted 17 years ago
justin.gaspar says:
I agree with eshear. Its lacking a bit because there is no way to edit, add, or remove the task. If you can make that possible, that would get great.. But overall, it looks good.
Posted 17 years ago
pbeens says:
Thanks for this great widget. I'd like to put in a vote for the ability to postpone items. It seems that's how I use RTM the most... :(
Posted 17 years ago
hsetty says:
Using Amnesty Generator I converted the RTM google gadget to a dashboard widget.

Works just like the gadget!

Get the widget

Posted 17 years ago
aj82 says:
I'm waiting long for that. Thank you very much!
Posted 17 years ago
sheris says:
This is a great widget - I've been waiting for a widget similar to what's offered by Backpackit. Although much simpler in functionality than the Backpackit widget, your widget is what I've been waiting for!
Posted 17 years ago
oliver.marshall says:
Ability to change font, resize window, add from widget, complete from widget.

nice start though :)

Olly
--
Secure, managed, online backup services
Multiple redundancy is a marvellous thing!

G2 Support

www.g2support.com/backups
Posted 17 years ago
yoelinbar says:
Ability to change font, resize window, add from widget, complete from widget.

It'll do the last thing (check the box to the left of the task).
Posted 17 years ago
jonesy says:
please, I beg of you, let me add tasks from this widget. Is there a widget anywhere that does this? What is this widget written in? Maybe I can help add features? Is it open sourced?
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
Please, please, please allow us to add tasks. But, as it is, this is the most useful widget I have...
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
for the love of god....can this pleeese be a universal widget ? for yahoo engine or netvibes
Posted 17 years ago
pandrus says:
I'd like to be able to RESIZE the widget.
Posted 16 years ago
pandrus says:
and ADD from widget.
Posted 16 years ago
mikooster says:
I love the widget and use it all the time, however it needs to be able to be resized or it needs to be wider. If you have a task with a long name, then the widget is not wide enough and the date on the right side gets cut off by the scroll bar.

For example, it looks like:
[ ] Evaluate reviews on lab report Due Mar...

and it is cut off so I can't see the due dates on my tasks. I did not have this problem before I added some longer-named tasks. This is kind of a big issue for me because due dates are one of the most important things.

Otherwise it's a great widget and I really appreciate you taking the time to make this!
Posted 16 years ago
roopesh says:
For some reason I cannot get the widget to open the web page to authorize to my account. It says "Please click here to authorize", but clicking doesn't do anything. No web browser opens or anything...

Anyone else had this issue?

I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.2.
Posted 16 years ago
mikooster says:
I have one other suggestion... maybe instead of saying the date for tasks due in the current week, it could say the day of the week instead. Like on Feb 27, tasks due on Feb 29, it could say "Due Friday", like it says at the website here, instead of "Due Feb 29".

Again these are just suggestions from my use and I want to make it clear that I love the widget and think it's great and really appreciate your time in making it :)
Posted 16 years ago
operlee says:
im an entry level user computer so this may be obvious, but on the RTM websit it says you can "Display tasks from all your lists or from a specific list." i can't figure out how to choose if i want a task on the widget, or if i want a list to go to the widget. are there any directions on how to use the widget, or is it supposed to be so easy you dont need directions or help files... i just got RTM today, but given the kind of list maker i am, i see myself having hundreds of tasks if i really use this and id like to choose the ones that go to the widget.
Posted 16 years ago
richlin71 says:
roopesh: mouseover the right edge of the widget and your cursor will change into a pointed-hand. click there.

unfortunately, the widget doesn't seem to pull down my lists correctly...so it's not quite working. would appreciate an update!
Posted 16 years ago
richlin71 says:
ah, just found v1.1 of the widget works with Leopard!
http://www.people.cornell.edu/pages/yi38/rtm/Remember%20the%20Milk%20Widget.html
Posted 16 years ago
brian.reilly says:
A couple of months ago, I started creating a Dashboard widget with some of the extra features that have been suggested... primarily adding tasks. I made a lot of progress but then stalled for a bit (when I discovered the Quicksilver plugin). However, I've picked it up again over the last few days. It is far enough along that I use it daily and am pretty happy with it. (I also had similar ideas to what mikooster suggested about displaying due dates, so that's already in there.)

I can't promise when I'll have it ready to release, but I'd like to get it out there soon... maybe in the next few weeks. I'll post to the forum when it's ready.
Posted 16 years ago
jdalvi says:
I have a problem similar to that of Roopesh. I have installed the widget but nothing happens when i try to click on 'please click here to authorize'. As suggested in an earlier post, I tried mouse-over on the right had corner but the cursor doesn't change and nothing really happens. i run osx 10.5.2.
Posted 16 years ago
richlin71 says:
Make sure the widget is facing the right way. Try the bottom right corner also, where the 'i' should be (unfortunately it's white on white, so you can't see it).
Posted 16 years ago
macboyx says:
I am having the same problem as Roopesh and jdalvi. I can get the widget to flip over and such but when I click on the "click here to authorize" nothign happens :(
Posted 16 years ago
betsy says:
I downloaded this recently and have a couple of questions/suggestions:

Can it be made wider? As it is now, the scrollbar covers the dates, except for the first couple of characters.

Is it supposed to sychronize with RTM? I had half a dozen tasks, 3 of which were due today. I postponed the 3 due today. When I looked at the widget, I showing the original 3 due today AND the same 3 now due tomorrow. Very confusing - especially in light of the issue noted above. :)

I do like it, though.

If there's something I'm missing with respect to these issues, please let me know. I didn't see any preferences.

Thanks.
Posted 15 years ago
jakepog says:
I have the same problem as betsy.
Posted 15 years ago
baryn says:
This widget is very hackneyed, too unpolished to really be useful. Especially if you need multiple lists.

Can this be made open source? I'm sure I could make better of this widget.
Posted 15 years ago
hongrich says:
Hi baryn,

I have already started a an open source RTM widget. It certainly has more features than this one but I would say it is still unpolished. Check out Milk the Cow:
http://code.google.com/p/milkthecow/

Let me know if you would like to help out (drop me an email).
Posted 15 years ago
kevin.la says:
Great widget! Simple and Effective.

But please add ability to edit, add, delete new tasks.

Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
The filter by list feature isn't grabbing custom lists. I added lists (and deleted Study), but I'm still seeing the same default set in the widget.
Posted 15 years ago
michael.singletary says:
It seems like items marked as complete within the Remember The Milk website still show up on the widget. If I mark them as complete within the widget, they do disappear from the widget's list, but this is the only way to do that.

It's kind of annoying to have to create new tasks on the RTM website, then mark them as complete within the widget for them to actually disappear from the widget's list.

Is there any way the widget can be modified to properly detect items marked as completed on the RTM website and then not display them on the widget anymore? Thanks!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
I cannot authorize either.
Posted 14 years ago
alejandro.such says:
can't authorize :(
Posted 14 years ago
potts says:
I can't authorise either. Could this be an issue with the new 10.5.7?
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Ditto... can't authorize. Using 10.5.7
Posted 14 years ago
mishagray says:
Eeek! The current link doesn't work. Cornell decomissioned his page! (My stupid alma mater too).

Any other place to download the widget?
Posted 14 years ago
adam.lazar says:
Yeah. I can't find it either. Any info would be appreciated!
Posted 14 years ago
turkeyphant says:
Search for Remember the Moof instead. It's a much better widget too even though it can run off the screen.
Posted 14 years ago
achao says:
Gorgeous!

However, I'd like to be able to see tags, and the scroll bar obstructs part of the "due _____" text.
Posted 14 years ago
gomies says:
I love it! I would like the feature of resizing the wondow. Because sometimes I could not see the due date under the scroll bar. If it already has this feature, please let me know how to do it. Thanks for your efforts :)
Posted 14 years ago
smallerdemon says:
Sadly looks like the link above is dead now.
Posted 14 years ago
lisa.lauffer says:
I just tried to add the widget and could not establish a database connection. I was bummed--this looked like something really helpful!
Posted 13 years ago
meschultz1113 says:
the only other thing i'd really want is a quick add feature, so i can quickly add new to do items
Posted 13 years ago
hilde.aleksandersen says:
the link didn't work. can you post another? i would really like an rtm widget :D
Posted 13 years ago
velrok says:
found one!
http://yoelinbar.net/rtm/Remember%20the%20Milk%20Widget.html
Posted 13 years ago
tusharvartak says:
:( does not work with Yosemite 10.10
Posted 9 years ago