Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Auto-tagging and smart task creation

george.shank says:
Hey guys! I love RTM and have really begun to see just how flexible it can be. I think part of the beauty of RTM is it can be as complex as you like or simple too.

One thing I found I was doing often was tagging tasks in a very similar fashion so they would catch in certain smart lists. Items such as #@home or even more specific tags like #unpacking were getting repetitive and annoying to enter in. This was after the GTD guest post (phenomenal if you haven't read it) and so I made some minor alterations.

Any "project" list or large task list that I know will take place primarily in one venue or in a certain "tag environment" I simply create a smart list as opposed to a normal list.

Say I want to finish unpacking after moving? I create a smart list that has criteria "tag:@home AND tag:unpack". Now any task I add in here will have those tags automatically. Not only that but now I can just do a simple #na or #wait and they will pop up in my @Home or Wait-Personal lists respectively.

Using mostly smart lists for my projects has greatly reduced my need to constantly use common tags but at the same time allows me to keep everything organized as well as getting great input from my tag cloud!

Posted at 4:46am on March 1, 2012
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi George,

Nice use of Smart Lists. :)

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your Remember The Milk account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 12 years ago
george.shank says:
Wow thank you!
Posted 12 years ago