Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Milkman: Remember The Milk for Windows Phone

(closed account) says:
I've been working on another Remember The Milk client for Windows Phone and it is available for download in the Marketplace today.

Milkman seamlessly integrates with your phone to display task counters on the application's live tile, it shows reminders before a task is due, and even allows you to set location-based reminders using Remember The Milk.

You can read more about Milkman in my blog post or on the Windows Phone Marketplace. Feel free to post any comments or suggestions that you might have!

http://mbmccormick.com/2012/02/milkman-remember-the-milk-for-windows-phone/

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/2d14a2ea-9445-4d46-b385-8b2e45f7f6d8
Posted at 6:53pm on February 23, 2012
(closed account) says:
lovely app, almost perfect, but it can't display notes embedded in tasks ! Please can you add this feature ?!?!? Even the horrible to use RTM mobile web page can display embedded notes. Many thanks. :-)
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Another feature request : for tasks that are longer than one line please can you have them wrap onto multiple lines ? Or have smaller text ? Or both ? On the Today / Tomorrow / etc pages and also on individual task pages. Thanks.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thanks for your feedback! Notes are coming in Version 1.2, which should go live on the Marketplace later this week. You will be able to add, edit, view, and delete Notes in this update.

In order to provide a clean user interface, I don't want to wrap the text in the "list view". If you open a task to view the "task details" page, you can drag the text to view longer lines. You can also view your list in landscape orientation on any page to view longer lines of text. I may consider allowing text wrapping as a setting.

Thanks again for your feedback!
Posted 12 years ago
ben.sandy says:
This is great! I was just thinking I'd have to add reminders and live tile support to WinMilk, but you've beat me to it.
One question/request: My girlfriend and I share a list and mainly use it for tasks with no due date (groceries, etc). We'd really like to see new items show up on the live tile somehow, even if it's just a total count of uncompleted tasks. It would also be great to have a notification when new tasks are added. Would that be possible?
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Thanks a lot for your effort, this is a great app. I have a some suggestions if you permit :

- mutiple language support (so the community may help translate your app interface)
- I think the logo in the live tile is a bit useless as this is a productivity app

Good luck !

Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hi Ben, thanks for the feedback! How does this sound:

I can add an option to the Settings page that lets you choose which list (for now just today, tomorrow, overdue, week, no due date) you want to see on the live tile. I can add another option that will display a toast notification (same one you get for Milkman's location-based reminders or text messages) when a new task is added to the list you selected for your live tile.

Would this help with what you're talking about? Thanks again for your feedback!
Posted 12 years ago
seshabootham says:
It says could not find server when it starts.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hi Memeto,

Multiple language support is coming. Could you please email me at milkmanwp@gmail.com (or submit feedback from within the app) so that I can send you my translation table?

Also, what would you like the logo in the Live Tile to show? Are you talking about the application's logo or what's displayed in the Live Tile? As of right now it shows a count of tasks due today. The next release will let you choose which list this count comes from.

Thanks again for your feedback, I really appreciate it!
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hi ern_roger,

Could you please choose the "feedback" option in the menu of Milkman and send this to me? I will receive some diagnostics information and I can help debug this for you.

Thanks for your help!
Posted 12 years ago
ben.sandy says:
@mbmccormick Yes, that sounds like a good plan. ideally the app would also show that list by default when opened (i think it defaults to 'today' right now). So maybe that's another setting, or maybe the first setting is just 'default list' which controls both what's shown at launch and what appears on the live tile.

A future iteration could enable pinning any list individually to the home screen, but the above approach would be perfect for our needs.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
v1.2 not out yet as of today. when's it coming Matt ? Baited breath and all that ....
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Ah, I see it's in the marketplace now. I've downloaded it but can't see how to access notes embedded in tasks - did you add this feature yet ? thanks.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hi Dominic,

Version 1.2 was published early last week and notes is coming in Version 1.3, which should be available on the Marketplace within 24 hours. I just received notification that they will begin publishing it earlier today.

Thanks!
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
v1.3 rocks ! Thanks Matt.

I rated you 5 stars this afternoon through the app, but it doesn't appear in the market place yet - is there latency on that ?
Posted 12 years ago
seshabootham says:
Hi ,
I sent you feedback from my mobile also. When i start the app, it says,
Error connecting to server
The remote server returned an error. Not found.
Posted 12 years ago
matthauger says:
I only see one of my custom lists; am I missing something?
Posted 11 years ago
kai.yee says:
Thanks for the app, great work. A few suggestions:

- At the moment the tasks are placed in views based on due dates; to be useful in GTD, there should be views based on Lists & Tags
Posted 11 years ago
ben.sandy says:
@mbmccormick I just checked version 1.3 and I don't see an option for which list to show on the live tile. I assume you're still planning this for the next version. Any eta on that?
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your feedback! I am a bit slow with development right now as my beloved Windows Phone and I went swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, unfortunately. So I have been restricted to developing with the Windows Phone emulator until I can get a new WP7 device.

I have a lot planned for the next release that will bring Smart Lists, Lists, and Tags to the application. You'll also be able to pin any one of these lists/tags to your home screen to get live tile updates.

Stay tuned!
Posted 11 years ago
pittphan says:
Nice App! thanks to the Dev for this. I will provide feedback once I use it a bit more.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hi Matt. I like your app a lot. It feels more comfortable than WinMilk and QuickMilk. And I'm really looking forward to future releases, because currently I miss the Lists-View. I don't work with due dates much so all is cluttered in one list currently :-)

But I must report an error too. When selecting edit on a task, an error message occurs. "An unhandled error has just occured". The App closes itself some seconds later. I've sent you an error report by mail today.

And I have one feature request: could you add some kind of dark theme?

Keep up the good work
Thomas
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hi everyone,

I wanted to give you an update on Milkman 2.0, which should hit the Marketplace in the next week or two. I was able to get my hands on a new Windows Phone device and I am back in development mode.

Here's a list of features I currently have in Version 2.0:
- View tasks by list or by date
- Pin any list to your start screen and see the count of tasks for that list
- Choose between "always light theme" or use the system theme
- View missed location reminders
- Better Add Task dialog with easier access to quick add shortcuts

Most of these features are implemented and I am testing them now, the rest I will finish up this week. Expect to see this in the Marketplace very soon!

Thanks!
Posted 11 years ago
seshabootham says:
Hi mbmccormick,
It says remote server returned error!! It is not allowing me to connect to RTM. Please tell a solution
Posted 11 years ago
nathan.jack says:
Hi Matt

Just wanted to ask for a particular feature, hopefully it's not too much. Would it be possible to bring across RTD's URL field?
I'm using RTD as a task management when I'm in the "field" (I work in IT and travel all around my various sites), and seeing as RTD doesn't allow adding of attachments to tasks, I'm using Evernote to capture photos and web snippets.
What I am doing though, is making the Evernote links public, and pasting them into the URL field of the RTD tasks, giving me some semblance of seamlessness.

Other than that, your WinPho7 app is fantastic, and does exactly what I need without fail!
Posted 11 years ago
liebenberger says:
Hi Matt,

First off - well done. I enjoy your app!

I have yet another feature request:
The url field seems to add "http://" to non-http urls. This is an issue if you want to add phone numbers to your tasks. If you allow non-http urls I should be able to use something like "tel:0178xxx" to trigger a voice call from a task. RTM displays the link correctly (and triggers Skype in the browser version).

Would be really handy :)

Cheers!
Posted 11 years ago
timrtm says:
Thanks for the great app Matt. I especially like the way you are continually improving it.

- How do you change the list order? I'd like to toggle between priority and due date.
- Can I make it open to a default list (eg Work)? Currently, it always opens at Dashboard, I then need to slide to Lists, then choose Work.
- Also when I open the app there's a 'just a moment' delay while it syncs. Could the syncing happen in the background as the tasks are displayed?

FYI: Using a Nokia Lumia 920.

Posted 11 years ago
richard.spiller says:
Great app, Matt. Thanks for all the effort. I have noticed a couple of things related to smart lists that you may be able to help with or maybe you don't know about them.

1. I have a smart list that uses the timeEstimate as one of its search criteria. It works fine the RTM site but always shows 0 tasks in the app.
2. I have another smart list that uses dueWithin as a criteria. This behaves differently between the site and the app. If I use "dueWithin: 2 days", the site will show tasks due today or tomorrow but the app will show tasks due today, tomorrow or the next day. The way the app works is actually the way I would expect but what would really be nice is if they would both work the same way.

If these are things that can be fixed or you can shed some light on them that would be much appreciated.

Also, a suggestion that I think someone may have mentioned above. I think that the live tile display would be much more useful if it was always displaying some info about the pinned list. It isn't particularly useful as a live tile if I have to wait for it to flip over to find out what it is going to say. It would be a very handy at-a-glance tool if I could quickly see the list name, today: #, tomorrow: #, all: # or something like that.

Thanks again for all of your work.
Posted 11 years ago
jari.aarnio says:
Milkman is really great, thanks Matt.

As Richard in the previous post told, there are some problems with Smart Lists.
I have tried to implement GTD/ZTD-system like this:

http://www.critical-mass.cz/2011/remember-gtd-eng

On Milkman, the most critical Smart list (!Next_Actions) shows zero tasks.

The smartlist-search is a complicated one, like this
tag:.na AND NOT tag:.maybe AND (dueBefore:"2 days of today" OR due:never) AND NOT ((isRepeating:true AND tag:routine) AND NOT dueBefore:tomorrow)

Also .DailyRev (completed:today) and .Weekrev (completedWithin:"1 week of today") -lists shows zero tasks.

Has it something to do with smartlists having some kind of day-limits?

Lumia 900 (OS 7.8)
Posted 10 years ago
jmegert says:
Just started using RTM heavily after trying it out years ago. Work off all platforms (Windows, Windows Phone, Android and iOS). Milkman is a great interface to RTM. Very happy with it so far. I do see some ideas for it though and I will pass them along soon.
Posted 10 years ago
mikejd30 says:
Good to see the developer made a thread here. Actually, I was going to download but didn't because the app requests Location. I don't really know why it needs this information so I didn't download it (Windows Apps are suffering due to the many requirements some apps are asking for, especially when there is no obvious reason for needing the info).

If you remove this requirement, I think you'll get a lot more downloaders.
Posted 10 years ago
jari.aarnio says:
Hi mikejd30.

Actually there is a reason for location requests.
Milkman can show you tasks that has Location-info near your current location.
Posted 10 years ago
mikejd30 says:
yes.... but not everyone wants this in an app. Of course, I think it's clear we can trust this app, but there is a growing concern (from what I see in reviews) about how many apps are requiring such things.

Perhaps the fault is also with Windows for not making this optional (so you can accept it or not but still use the basic app).
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hi everyone,

Sorry for going quiet on here, I didn't realize how much activity was going on in the Forums. I will make a point of checking this thread more regularly.

I just wanted to let you know that Version 3.2 of Milkman is out on the Windows Phone Store and it includes a ton of improvements:
- No more syncing tasks on startup, this happens in the background
- Live tile shows more useful information (count on front, task names on back)
- High resolution icons
- Several bug fixes

As for some of the questions that have been asked here, I will address those individually:

@liebenberger Not sure why Milkman is adding "http://" to the URL field. I am simply passing the text you enter to Remember The Milk in the URL field and it must be doing the conversion for you. Does the same thing happen to you on the website?

@timrtm You can change the list order in the Settings. You can pin your favorite list(s) to your home screen and when you tap that tile, Milkman will open directly to that list. The syncing now happens in the background in Milkman 3.2.

@richard.spiller Smart Lists should be fixed as of Version 3.1 of Milkman. Please let me know if this is still a problem.

@mikejd30 Milkman uses your location, just like the official Remember The Milk applications on other platforms, to provide location-based reminders. If you don't want to share your location with Milkman, you can disable this feature in the settings.

Thanks for all of the great feedback here. Please feel free to reach out using the Feedback option in Milkman as well.
Posted 10 years ago
jari.aarnio says:
Do you have any idea why in my region (Finland) Windowsphone.com still
shows version 2.6.3.0 as current version (on my phone its 2.6.3 (7.10.8862)
, but in US the version is 3.2.0.0.

Is there something you could do, so that 3.2. version is available in
Finland too?

Feedback from version 2.6.3.0 gives 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
@jari.aarnio Version 2.6.3 was the last version of Milkman supported for Windows Phone 7.5. When you upgrade to a Windows Phone 8 device, you will have access to Version 3.2+ of Milkman. I'm not sure why the Windows Phone website does not display the different versions, sorry about that!
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
Hi, I am trying to install Milkman on my Nokia Lumia 820, Windows Phone 8, but after logging in to RTM, from Milkman as requested to get authorisation, I click the "OK, I'll allow it" button and return to Milkman, I end up in the same loop - with a request to login to RTM & get authorisation.
Am I missing something?
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
Well, not sure why it worked on the umpteenth try.....but all is ok now.
Posted 10 years ago
lars_m says:
Matt, Milkman really is great! Thanks.

I too have problems with (fairly complicated) smart lists. They show no tasks. I use 3.2.2.0.

Also, could someone tell me how the location feature works? On Android, I get a notification when I am near a specified location with a task. Milkman does not do this. I have made sure all settings are right, but I am new to windows phone, so maybe I am doing something wrong?

Thanks again Matt, keep up the good work!

/Lars
Posted 10 years ago
acontona says:
How can i set "spanish" language on Milkman?
Posted 10 years ago
martinhughharvey says:
Am I right with what is for me an annoyance with RTM/ Not a deal breaker but ,,,

So I wish to create a task with note(s). I cannot do this in the "Add a New task" dialog on the browser so I:
- add the task with today's date so it appears near or at the top of the task list
- or I don't enter a date as I have a smart list for tasks with no date
- then I edit that task - adding the notes and changing the date to the required one

Okay but a bit "clumsy".

Am I missing something?
Posted 9 years ago