Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Some nerdy Smart Lists

4trainpoet says:
I've been messing around with Smart Lists for the last few months, and the following is what I've come up with. It allows me to use due date and priority to split out tasks, without having to worry too much about which I prefer to use. It also helps to keep lists manageable, by splitting tasks into 4 groups: Today, This Week, Soon, and At Some Point...

[0] Today (due:today OR priority:1)

This is the basic "things to do" list. Nothing fancy. No overdue tasks, except those marked "!1".

[1] This Week (dueBefore:"1 week of today" OR priority:1)

This shows the above, plus the rest of the week, as well as any overdue tasks.

[2] Soon (priority:2 AND NOT list:"[1] This Week" OR dueWithin:"1 month of today" AND NOT list:"[1] This Week")

This list shows non-urgent and upcoming tasks for the following month, that don't appear in the first two lists.

[3] At Some Point (NOT list:"[1] This Week" AND NOT list:"[2] Soon")

Finally, there's everything else.

There shouldn't be any cross over (except between the first two lists) unless my terms are a bit dodgy. And if they are... by all means point it out!
Posted at 10:55pm on February 7, 2012
4trainpoet says:
(Of course, I didn't actually complete any tasks - I was too busy procrastinating.)
Posted 12 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi 4trainpoet,

Nice lists! :)

You're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner -- we've upgraded your Remember The Milk account to have a free year of Pro. Thanks for sharing your "nerdy" Smart Lists. :)
Posted 12 years ago
4trainpoet says:
Thanks very much!
Posted 12 years ago
metalhero says:
Great suggestion! I implemented it straight away. With one alteration:
For the list "[1] this Week" I changed the dueBefore criteria to dueBefore:Sunday, this way you only see tasks that are actually due this week and not in the next 7 days. If you only want to see the work week you could alternatively use Saturday.
Posted 12 years ago