Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Multitasking

scave31 says:
I'm new to RTM, but within days saw how I could really use it to my advantage.

One of the first tags I created was #evening, which I use to tag tasks that include anything from cleaning a closet or going through magazines to sorting tax receipts - things that can't be done at work or I don't want to do on weekends when I can do bigger projects.

(Most items under the #evening tag don't have due dates, unless I see a need to do the task soon, at which time I'll add one.)

I quickly saw where I could add to this: I watch TV a couple evenings a week and need to be doing something else simultaneously, but often find myself surfing the 'net and then realizing later that stack of magazines is still sitting in the corner. So, I created tags called #tv and #notv to add to my #evening tasks based on whether I can do them in front of the television without missing the show (like sewing on a button or sorting tax receipts) or whether I need to do them in a different room or they would require enough concentration that I'd miss the show (like cleaning my home office desk or reading RSS feeds with heavy articles).

I also set up a repeat "after" recurrence for things I don't want to do too often, such as cleaning out my e-mail inbox, to keep me from choosing the same tasks over and over again.

With a Smart List (or two), I created RTM badges on my Android phone for items tagged #evening AND #tv or #evening and #notv, called the lists ETV and ENOTV, respectively, and can quickly access what tasks I can get done depending on what my evening television plans are.

I've achieved so much in just a week!
Posted at 6:29pm on November 14, 2011
nenci says:
So you can list a task without attaching a due date to it? You may have answered the question I just posted!
Posted 12 years ago
scave31 says:
Yep! I do that all the time for things I just want to remember to do "sometime."
Posted 12 years ago
scave31 says:
I should add that, that way, I can add due dates to them as needed, like if I decide that pile of magazines absolutely must go by the time we have company next week. :)
Posted 12 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi scave31,

Great tip!

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your Remember The Milk account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 12 years ago
scave31 says:
Thanks so much, Emily! I can't begin to tell you how much I've accomplished in the last 3-4 weeks that I've had RTM and used this trick. I'm loving it!
Posted 12 years ago
mzkynd says:
great tip!
Posted 10 years ago