Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Using Remember the Milk for GTD in a School Environment

astavrow says:
There’s a great post on the RTM blog on how to set up the service for advanced GTD. You should read it first, to have a basis for what my basic system looks like.

Anything that I consider a Project (i.e., a desired outcome that requires more than one action to complete) gets its own list. Each class I’m taking is, in a way, a Project. The desired outcome is, obviously, completing the course with high marks; the actions listed are how I make it happen.

The thing is, every class has its own series of Projects to complete — readings, lab reports, assignments, &cet. I could make each of these a new list, but they’re pretty short-term projects (a week or less).

So, instead, I created tags that track these “sub-Projects” — things like 'lab', 'readings', 'assignment' – and tag individual tasks within my class list with them.

In a given class, for example, I might have two current “sub-Projects” — a lab and some readings. Those that are also tagged 'na' are Next Actions required to complete the sub-Project.

Why does this work? Adding a list for every bit of assigned work that comes in over the course of a semester, filling in your tasks, and then deleting the list when you’re done involves too much maintenance. A good GTD system gives you enough to work with, but not so much that you’re constantly tweaking the ‘fiddly bits,’ as I like to call them. It’s much easier to simple re-use a few common tags, especially since they will almost never overlap for a given class — it’s unlikely that you’ll have to deal with two assignments or two presentations at the same time for a single class.
Posted at 1:14pm on October 20, 2011
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi astavrow,

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your Remember The Milk account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 12 years ago
astavrow says:
Neat, hope people find it useful!
Posted 12 years ago