Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

using RTM as a music evaluation queue

tom.vanbaarle says:
Besides using RTM for classic task management, I extensively use it within my music evaluation flow. I buy quite some music and try to avoid any buying mistakes by listening to music upfront, rather than just buying on impulse.

How do I go about this?

1. I get my music recommendations from three main sources:
- offline reviews, radio, talking to friends, ...
- online reviews (websites, blog posts, etc)
- last.fm activity (what are my friends listening to)

2. How do I transform these sources to actionable RTM items?

- as for the offline stuff, I just send a mail with the name of the artist and album in the subject line to my private RTM address. I do this as soon as I get the recommendation, in order not to forget about it later on.

- online reviews and listening activity (in the form of rss feeds) get routed to my Google Reader account. On a daily basis, I check my Google Reader account and browse/read all new items. If I stumble upon something that I (might) like, I send the rss item to the same private RTM address. Whenever relevant I already add some tags: who recommended the item, where can I listen to it, etc.

I do this either on my computer at home, either on my iPhone. When using the iPhone to register the item, I do not add many tags at this point of the process.

3. I regularly review my RTM Inbox, which I really use as a inbox (in a sense that I want it to be empty after I had a look at it): I add some more tags if not done yet, assign a priority and transfer the item to my listening list.

4. Once a week, I open the listening list, check the item at the top of the list (which is sorted on priority), look at the tags to find out where I can listen to this album online, I listen to it (just once or several times if needed) and decide whether I want to buy this album (electronically or physically). Based on the 'recommender' tag, I sometimes also read the review again while listening. If I do not (sufficiently) like an album, I mark the item complete to remove it from my list. If I do like it, I move it to the appropriate list (buy or download). In some cases, I add some more tags, like the name of the online shop where I plan to buy it. Then I move on to the next item.

5. Whenever we go out for an 'entertainment shopping spree' (or whenever I feel like ordering online), I look at my buy list (which i can also access on-the-go via the RTM iPhone app), get the listed albums and check them off my list.

6. Done, enjoy the music.
Posted at 2:45pm on August 27, 2011
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Tom,

Nice tip! Just wanted to let you know that you're this weeks's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've added a free year of Pro to your Remember The Milk account. :)
Posted 11 years ago