Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Living abroad & phoning home

robyn.sukenik says:
One of the harder things about living abroad is keeping in touch with all the friends and family back home that I really want to keep in touch with. While emails can be sent at any time, hearing voices from home over the phone is important when you're far away, and RTM helps make it happen.

Schedules are hectic enough when you're living in the same place. When you have to navigate multiple time zones and different days off, remembering to make the right calls at the right time for the friend in the other time zone takes a bit of extra planning and reminders.

That's where RTM comes in. I add a #USCall tag to my US phone call tasks. When I'm setting the task I use a time zone converter to double check that I'm setting myself up to call them at the right times and not the middle of the night (something has happened when I've done the math on the fly). Then I set a reminder for the begging of the window of time that I know I can catch them while noting when that window ends in my task.

Call Bob -- Happy Birthday (2 hour window) ^Sunday 10:00 pm #USCall

People I want to keep up with regularly I set on repeat. And this means I have a great record with things like birthdays.
Posted at 8:02pm on June 19, 2011
motekassaf says:
Hi,
I would like to understand, what is RTM please?
Also where does one find a 'time zone converter please?
Thanks for your help!
Posted 12 years ago
motekassaf says:
Sorry, now I know what RTM stands for.

I just signed up, !
Posted 12 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Robyn,

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your Remember The Milk account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 12 years ago