Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

How to do dependent tasks (next + previous)

judykator says:
The functionality that I was missing in the RTM is dependent tasks. Some tasks are created only after the previous task. Tasks, whose completion will need to start the next task I mark tag "next". Next, enter a note that you need to take action after its completion. This information allows me to remember that the task requires further follow-up.

Before running the task as completed check whether it is marked tag "next". If so, further copies of the notes and I create a new task or tasks. I mark it tag "previous" to remember that the task was the predecessor.
Posted at 7:11am on June 8, 2011
shamalk says:
In my honest opinion, this should be a feature in rtm. I would be glad to see dependent tasks and sub tasks (main task will be completed when all sub tasks are marked done.)
Posted 11 years ago
dorafang says:
i would love to see dependencies too, if it were a pro feature i would upgrade for hierarchy...
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
I too, have a fairly standard seven step task program for most projects. Right now, I am just changing the task to something else when it is complete instead of completing it.
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
Here is the way I am *about* to accomplish this functionality (have not tried it yet).

I create a list called "goals". This is a list of all the parent tasks. Suppose the goal/parent task is "Xeriscape front yard".

Then, in my inbox list, for all the child tasks associated with "Xeriscape front yard", I add an appropriate tag. For example, the tasks "Buy river rocks" and "Research local shrubs" would get tagged as #xeriscape.

This only allows for a 2 level hierarchy, but that's all I really need at this time.

Of course, I was using tags before this idea, so I think I will delete these general tags to prevent confusion with parent task tags. I was not _truly_ using them for anything other than basic categorization. That is, I was was not using my current tags for smart lists or searches, so what good were they really?
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
One way to accomplish that is to number the tasks and have them sorted by name within a project or list.

If you know all or majority or your tasks and their completion order start with numbering them with 001, 002, 003 etc.
If you need sub tasks you can do that by doing the following
1.1,1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2.1, 1.3.2, 1.4. etc.
If you need to slot a new sub task add another number in between.

Thanks
Rafal
Posted 11 years ago
brett701 says:
seems a bit arduous
Posted 9 years ago