Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

getting to 100 push-ups in 7 weeks

danigiri says:
I'm a geek and spend ages in front of the computer. Even though I go to the gym on a regular-ish basis I'm always into getting more fit and having those dreamed abs!

Recently I stumbled onto this book '7 weeks to 100 push-ups' (absolutely no relation) that details a routine to get to that fit upper body all geeks dream of.

To keep track of my progress, get motivated and do more push-ups I use Remember The Milk, of course.

The routine is broken down into what needs to be done each day and I correlate it to a single task.

I use three letter tags for easier writing and simplicity, therefore the routine tasks are tagged #fit

Basically, I copy the routine days in blocks of four and priorize them, !1 is what needs to be done today, !2 tomorrow, !3 the day after and no priority is in three days. I don't use the calendar because if I happen to miss one routine it just sits as the next thing to do (though 'rest' days are always completed of course!). Modify to use dates if easier for you.

As I complete routine days I tick tasks as done. Watching the 'status:completed and tag:fit' list grow is very motivating and keeping track of the exact number of pushups and 1 minute rests I need to do is really easy. If I'm at home I can tick with computer or if at the gym I can tick on my iPhone.

Tasks look like this:

#fit warm up, 8, 10, 8, 8, 9+, stretch (intermediate 2) !1
#fit rest (intermediate 2) !2
#fit warm up, 9, 12, 9, 9, 11+, stretch (intermediate 2) !3
#fit rest (intermediate 2)

Etc.

A routine day starts with warmup, 8 pushups, 1 minute rest, 10 more, rest, 8, rest, 8, rest and more than 9 pushups, ending with the all-important stretching!

'(Intermediate 2)' means the level I'm at so I can find the next set of routines on the book.

Hope this is useful for you. If I make it to 100 push-ups I'll post it here, I'm at 44 now. Yes we can!

Dani

PS: info is available for free on the website http://hundredpushups.com/
Posted at 12:53pm on March 26, 2011
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi Dani,

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your Remember The Milk account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 12 years ago
mosius says:
Dani,

This might also help. It's a way to create recurring tasks. You could even schedule the script to run every morning so that automatically, you could generate any routine just by clicking in the spreadsheet.

I've created a nifty little Google Spreadsheet to deal with the recurring projects (and packing list) problem. It uses the RTM email import feature, but simplifies it by letting your store your lists and RTM accounts (for those multi-account families) in a spreadsheet and then have the spreadsheet do all the formatting and emailing for you. (Yes it even takes care of the annoying 50 items per email limit!)

If you want to give it a try, check it out here. There's a Read Me that explains how you can just freely make a copy of it yourself to use as you want.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AjfhCn2YU7AUdFJkVkdKQ29xZUJkT3ljVE9ONHNTU0E&hl=en

-Matt
Posted 12 years ago
mmccrimmon says:
thanks, Dani
Posted 12 years ago
janvanderploeg says:
From zero to 100 pushups in seven or ten weeks is too intense for me. So I made a custom program for 16 weeks and I'll do push-ups three times a week (Tuesday, Friday, Sunday). I make very gradual progress and doesn't feel like heavy exercise. Now I'll climb easy but definitely the 100 push-ups.
I've planned the trainings in RTM on real dates. First made the training-program in Excel and then imported the records to RTM:

Push-ups (3-3-2-2) ^1-5-2011 #sport @home
Push-ups (4-4-3-3) ^3-5-2011 #sport @home
etc.
Push-ups (18-18-16-14) ^3-6-2011 #sport @home
etc.
Push-ups (96-84-46-42) ^13-9-2011 #sport @home
Push-ups (100-88-48-42) ^16-9-2011 #sport @home
Posted 12 years ago