Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

Keeping track of food in my freezer

carolsher says:
In the past I have found it difficult to keep track of what I've got in my freezer.

Using a written list is awkward because as some items get crossed out when they are used, it starts to be hard to see what remains available.

But now I am using Remember the Milk!

I have a list called "Freezer".

Each item of food in the freezer is added as a task.

The due date of the task is the date on which the food needs to be used up.

I tag each item to remind me which of the drawers it is in: "top-drawer", "middle-drawer" and "bottom-draw". I can also tag foods with their type such as "soup" or "veg".

I've been doing this for a few months now, and it's very easy to maintain and definitely is helping me not to waste food.

Thank you Remember the Milk for being such a useful and flexible tool.
Posted at 5:06pm on March 5, 2011
progress4ward says:
great idea!
Posted 12 years ago
susani says:
I will test it, thanks
Posted 12 years ago
hannalotte says:
I like this idea! I was using paper lists till now but somehow that did not work! Maybe RTM is the solution!

Posted 12 years ago
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Hi carolsher,

I just wanted to let you know that you're this week's Tips & Tricks Tuesday winner. We've upgraded your Remember The Milk account to have a free year of Pro. :)
Posted 12 years ago
spamboy says:
Great idea -- one of the better RtM Tips I've seen in awhile!
Posted 12 years ago
donna.kunzig says:
I do something similar but use tags for freezer or frig (if something comes out of the freezer and into the frig to thaw, I update the tag), then set the due date as the 'use by' date - helps to keep my veggies from rotting in the frig!
Posted 12 years ago