Welcome!  English (US) Language Switcher

smaller font size option/multiple tasks for large tasks

hibrianwah says:

would like to see smaller font size option...too large to view long desc. Or multiple lines function.

would like to see sub task for large tasks.

Posted at 6:00am on February 2, 2009

raiko says:

Yes, that would be great!

Posted 5 years ago

amswitzer says:

Read down the list - this has been discussed and many agree with you.

Posted 5 years ago

gui.azurdia says:

Guys
A task must be brief. You can add as much info in a memo. C'mon, using your iPhone in landscape will more than allow enough characters to be read.

Should they make the font smaller, it will read like Toodledo's (tiny) or it will look cramped like ToDo's.

Keep RTM as is.

Posted 5 years ago

amswitzer says:

I disagree. The choice of the size of the task is up to the user. The issue here is that the vast majority of SHORT task descriptions will not fit onto the current portrait-mode screen. For example, something like:

"Contact John to discuss the pro" is not very useful when your scanning down the list.

You should not have to click on each item just to understand what the actual task is! Many users have complained that the number of touches and swipes required to do most things in the iPhone RTM app is not user-friendly.

Anyway, for a great example of a well-implemented interface, check out this screenshot from Appigo's "ToDo" -- and application that I am now using more often then the iPhone RTM. (It syncs with RTM by the way...)

http://www.appigo.com/sites/default/files/todo-main-screenshot_0.png

This will show you how the font size of the task list has been reduced but is not small, and how tasks can flow to two lines, which I find infinitely more useful. "ToDo" has many other interface features that put it way ahead of RTM at this point. But then Appigo seems to value their users and customers and puts out regular updates based a user requests and feedback. That is sorely missing from the RTM team, who seem content to sit on our annual $25 subscription money and do nothing to improve the usability of the RTM iPhone client.

Pity, really. There is almost a "cult" following for RTM and I have been spreading the word for a year or more. It's a shame to squander that kind of loyalty by not reacting to customer feedback for relatively simply improvements.

Posted 5 years ago

gui.azurdia says:

I agree with your disagreement.

Indeed, ToDo is developing faster and better in many aspects. I also agree on the fact that RTM is becoming a cult following. There was an article some time ago titled "Hypnotized by the Cow". It talked about how RTM was becoming sort of a "geek elitist user app". Unfortunately, and, as a web developer myself, I have seen gorgeous applications fall within this patter only to fade into oblivion. An excellent example of a fantastic app that went down this way is Note Studio by Dogmelon (ironically, also from Australia). Devs did not even read the blog they created. Something similar is going on here where only sporadic posts by Emily appear now and then and it mostly deals with people's complaints about the free/not free iPhone app. (Should they address this problem, their app would be in the four or five star rating but that's another story).

Bottom line: while RTM are busy ignoring us, other devs are busy creating better apps. It almost looks as if RTM doesn't care. It almost looks as though they've reached their top level and can't move from there. No upgrades, no postings, absolute indifference.

I worked corporate in telecom for a long time. Ignoring your clients is not wise. Cow, Monkey and all.

Posted 5 years ago

amswitzer says:

Thanks for your post!

FYI, the Appigo people respond to EVERY complaint and suggestion they get in their Google Group. EVERY one of them. And they thank their posters for the feedback - positive or negative.

And it's just another symptom of a "disconnect" between customers and RTM in that their blog hasn't even been updated in almost 2 months now! Certainly not the sign of a company that is moving forward, growing and fostering a strong loyal customer-base.

Posted 5 years ago

gui.azurdia says:

Amswitzer,

Even though we are sounding like the voice of dissent here, it is an irrefutable fact that ignoring your clients is not the way to do more business. I read the destructive comments at iTunes and they keep getting more frequent. You'd think that a concerned RTM staffer would at least post something more aggressive in the description of the app. Yet, nothing is done. The criticism is causing this otherwise promising app to fall in ranking and no one seems to care.

I read quite some time ago that RTM won an award for best young entrepreneurship or something around those lines. It would appear that their approach is "we are great. Take whatever we are willing to dish out". Could it be that RTM has reached its limit? Perhaps hoping that a large software company buys them off? .

The worst thing of all this is that RTM is a great app with so much pull. I have used so many apps in the past and really hope to find the one that does it.

Posted 5 years ago

da.blank says:

I agree with many of the comments about RTM needing to keep moving forward - smaller fonts / easy reordering of items / folders & subfolders.

Having worked in software development I also not how difficult it is to rejig your company size & keep up with demands.

So I'd like to offer very positive support to the RTM team! I think you've got a lot going for you - hang in there & keep on going.

A list of suggested improvements is below:

Posted 5 years ago

da.blank says:

Wishlist from a Pro User and GTD Manager:

Top 3 - easier to implement:

1) Option to secure iPhone network traffic & advertise this feature - simple switch to HTTPS. Business projects can not be open to eavesdropping.

2) Selectable FONT SIZE on iphone. Let users choose - allow much SMALLER to see much more at a glance like EasyTask.

3) Drag items up/down to any spot to reorder lists (particularly on iPhone). Busy people like to sort their lists. Priority 1/2/3 only is very limiting.

Longer term:

4) In browser GUI: Folder list on left like the highly regarded OmniFocus & EasyTask. Tabs alone get messy for many projects. Folders also allow sub-projects which is better organisation.

5) Until 'in place' editing in the browser, swap the task name from an input field to a text area field (ie multi line).

6) When renaming a tag/list, offer to update Smartlists also.

7) Option to Launch app straight to 'Nearby this week' on iPhone.

8) Allow multiple markers to define a SINGLE RTM location (ie points along a bus route, define a larger area for 'downtown' versus 'at home')

Some encouragement:
The business world NEEDS great ToDo apps and will pay more than $25/pa for the best.
Keep improving yours and you'll get strong financial support.

Posted 5 years ago

da.blank says:

Hi Krissy,
You're very welcome as the new CM!

It probably won't be long before you notice the wishlist items above have been requested by many & for a while. The font size issue to see 'more' on an iPhone is particularly a HOT topic.

If you can get some of these onto the production list soon ... you'll be the hero of many!

Kind regards!

Posted 5 years ago

amswitzer says:

...and the continuing silence from RTM is deafening.

I've already purchased Appigo ToDo and just subscribed to Toodledo. I'm about a week away from kissing RTM goodbye.

It's very pretty, but is missing a lot, and after forking out $25 for my pro account, I, as a customer, feel they don't care any longer.

I'm discouraged with RTM. Cool only gets you so many points. In the end, functionality is what counts,and RTM is getting beaten by its competition at this point, and this is closely related to the competition's willingness to listen and respond to customer feedback.

Posted 5 years ago

hibrianwah says:

My wife and I just signed up for RTM...wish I would have seen the toodledo and appigo!

It takes so many swipes to get to info I get sea sick...really!

Posted 5 years ago

amswitzer says:

I've been migrating over for about a week and I'm really impressed with Toodledo. I've also started using its own iPhone app which virtually duplicates everything you can do on the web app.

One of the features I LOVE having on toodledo is the ability to use SUBTASKS on both interfaces, so you can set up multi-task "projects" and lay-out the steps required to complete each one. You can rearrange the subtasks as well on the webinterface using drag-and-drop.

I also like the ability to fine-tune the Due Date which allows you to specify that a task can only be done on a certain date, cannot be done at least until a certain date, or you can indcate that it must be done optionally on a certain date, which means once the due date arrives, if it doesn't get done, it disappears, or if you have it set up to repeat, rolls to the next date.

And I love the "Status" field -- great for GTD fans or anyone else; Statuses include "Next Action", "Delegate", "Waiting", etc. You also have tags, but you're not forced into using them to use GTD on Toodledo.

Toodledo has added a lot of functionality based on what users want and their responsiveness is adding-up to a much better product with a pretty impressive set of features and a nice interface.

And yes, it has something similar to "Smartsearches" which you can save and reuse.

Actually, I find its Firefox sidebar and iGoogle widget much more logical and functional.

I love RTM - don't get me wrong. But they've become stagnant and are not listening to user requests. And there is a certain "geeking coolness" to GTD that attracts people, but the functionality is beginning to fall behind.

The cost is good - $14.95/year. The iPhone app isn't free, but as I said, it is totally functional and duplicates the web interface nicely. And entering tasks is easy -- much less swiping and tapping than on the RTM for iPhone

You can try it out at http://www.toodledo.com

Posted 5 years ago

gui.azurdia says:

amswitzer Pro

I agree with you on all features of Toodledo. The one thing that RTM has over them is the landscape mode. I hate those tiny buttons on the iPhone. Also, a couple of things you didn't mention that are great:

1. Notebook. You can create and save all your notes chronologicaly
2. If you use Appigo Notes (a great app) you can sync them as well
3. You said it. It takes you fat less taps and swipes to edit or enter info
4. You can view all completed tasks.
5. The dev is everywhere in his forum.

I too. am moving back to Toodledo. I love RTM and its whole original idea but I already went through a similar program. It was magnificent. The name was Notestudio and when it came out,, it was beyond anyone's imagination. Unfortunately, users had to constantly improvise and make do in order to obtain functions that other comapnies where implementing. Soon, the project became old and they dissapear. The company was Dogmelon from Australia.

Posted 5 years ago

gui.azurdia says:

amswitzer Pro

BTW, I wanted to ask you, Are you using Appigo's ToDo with Toodledo or the Toodledo app? Reason for me asking is because it is my understanfing that Appigo's doesn't allow subtasks.

Posted 5 years ago

amswitzer says:

I'm using both to be honest - because I love Appigo's ToDo, but I also like the Toodledo iPhone application. I think it's just a question of getting used to the Tooledo iPhone app, which as you know, does support subtasks.

I also am now using Appigo's "Notebook" application which syncs with Tooledo's notes. What I have discovered also is that using ToDo, the sync process is much, much faster than syncing with RTM.

I just discovered the task timers that you use on Toodledo. Kind of neat if you want to time your tasks to get a real picture of the actual time it takes to perform some tasks, and measure it against your estimates.

What is interesting is the statistics section of Tooledo, so you can see graphically how many tasks were due, how many you completed, etc. Gives you a bit of a reality check.

Like I said before, I really like the Toodledo Sidebar in Firefox. Very functional.

Posted 5 years ago

krissy Pro says:

Hi all,

Have made a note of the suggestion. As I've been saying elsewhere on the boards, I can't comment on development but thank you for your input.

Cheers!

Posted 5 years ago

This topic has now been closed automatically due to a lack of responses in the past 90 days.