Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Ability to change the completed date

matt.stedeford says:
Ability to change the completed date of a task would be useful.

I sometimes click on complete days after the task was done, and then can't change the completed date. This is important for invoices and seeing how well time is used.
Posted at 3:09pm on March 19, 2006
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
Thanks for the suggestion -- would others find this useful?
Posted 17 years ago
des0 says:
i agree
Posted 17 years ago
oberg says:
Me too. I really would appreciate it.
Posted 17 years ago
(closed account) says:
as would I - in fact, I would like to be able to edit all aspects of a completed task. For example, I just discovered how useful tagging tasks would be - and since I report on my completed tasks, being able to add tags to them would be fantastic.
Posted 17 years ago
dpat says:
I just was looking for a way to change the completed date. I tend to mark tasks as completed way after they were actually done. So this would be a very, very useful feature..

Or is there already a way to do that? Thx.
Posted 15 years ago
billbudney says:
YES!!!!

For me, this is a REQUIREMENT for a To Do list! I use my list to write my weekly reports -- doesn't EVERYBODY???

The ability to edit the item is critical. And the ability to edit the completion date is VITAL.

(BTW, thanks for making RTM... it is very, very close to the perfect To Do List system; especially with the offline ability using Google Gears and the synching with Windows Mobile. RTM rocks)

Posted 15 years ago
lindsay.ellen says:
Yes, I agree. This feature would be very helpful. Sometimes I am not at a computer to "complete" my task and other times I just plain forget to "complete" the task until later. Being able to edit the completion date is critical, especially to keep reoccurring items working correctly.
Posted 15 years ago
junjie.m says:
Yes, I agree. After the task had been marked with Completed label, but I forgot to tag it or other something I want to complement it. Then I must Uncomplete this task and edit it, finally I got the wrong Completed date.

So, I think this feature is must to be.
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
yeah, agreed.
Posted 15 years ago
johnmsch says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
nuggetboy says:
+1 ... this is 2 years, 9 months old. Any word on an implementation?
Posted 15 years ago
james.cottle says:
I posted the following response in the Save Completed Date Thread. I looks like it belongs here.

Not being the diligent RTM user that I should be, I will recognize that a task was completed sometime after it actually was. The time that I had hoped to complete the task is not really important, but the historical record of when it actually was completed is --not the date that I hit the completed button.

Example: I set a goal to get a flu shot in October, but for whatever reason, I wasn't able to get one till the first week of December. Now, I didn't note that until the day before Christmas, December 24th. RTM tags the goal as completed on December 24, not December 4th.

Later, should I for some reason need to know when the actual even occurred, RTM has no record of it.

Correct me, if there is a way. I'm not as deep into the nuances of the software as others.
Posted 15 years ago
robboek says:
+1
Posted 15 years ago
theterran says:
Yes, please do add this! Also the ability to edit tags and location for completed tasks (which I use for organization).

See: http://www.rememberthemilk.com/forums/ideas/2348/

Thank you!
Posted 15 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Would also love to have a created on field for reference and to be able to know how mush time was spent on a given task.
Posted 15 years ago
gbyerly says:
This request has been repeated in the forums for quite a while. Since the completion date is obviously being stored, it should be relataeively straightforward to make it available for editing.

Please do so ASAP. Since I like this application and its availabilty via the web and my iPhone, this is the only feature that precludes me from making RTM my task manager
Posted 15 years ago
jonmountjoy says:
+1 - right now you don't record the completed date. All you record is the day I remembered that I completed the task. Which isn't necessarily the same thing :-/
Posted 14 years ago
randy.dichoso says:
what is the status of this request? this feature is badly needed.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
I would also find this useful, along with the ability to edit the title, tags etc of a completed task.
Posted 14 years ago
suk.sar says:
Please add this feature ASAP.....
Posted 14 years ago
miquelmartin says:
Yup, knowing when something was completed is needed for reporting, and you don't always get to click on completed when you should. This would be really nice!
Posted 14 years ago
joellybaby says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
wohler says:
I'm converting my Handyshopper movie list to RTM and I want to be able to update both the added and the completed date to match that of the original record.

In the short term, I'm hoping to find some time to write some Java code to do it for my case, but will try to write it in the general case. Please send me email if you'd be interested in it, or if you know of software that already does it.
Posted 14 years ago
wohler says:
p.s. Don't include email addresses in angle brackets and use the preview function :-).
wohler at newt.com
Posted 14 years ago
apgordon says:
+1 - would like to be able to change completion date as well as tags, the ability to add a note, etc.
Posted 14 years ago
jill.mayer says:
+1 Being able to change the completion dates (and edit completed tasks) would greatly increase the value of RTM for me!
Posted 14 years ago
gbyerly says:
This feature, to allow modification of the completion date, has repeatedly been requested for years. It is essential to a task management program / system. From a programming perspective, it is a simple change to make.

PLEASE add this feature ASAP!!!
Posted 14 years ago
raymond.bergmark Power Poster says:
I agree, having seen this being requested several times. I rarely touch completed tasks for this reason, the completed date is more important than other meta info.
Posted 14 years ago
mariusbernard says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1 for the ability to change the completed date.
Another +1 for being able to change tags on completed items.
Posted 14 years ago
ale.bor says:
+1 for the ability to change the completed date.
Another +1 for being able to change tags on completed items
Posted 14 years ago
nicu.hodos says:
+1 for the changing the completed date.
The change of the tags is possible to achieve if one marks the task as Uncompleted, change the tags and Complete it again. With the ability of changing the completed date, both requirements are possible.

I just discovered this thread and I see it is a very old one. Can anyone tell us what is the status of it? Even a negative response, is still la response and we know what to expect.

Thanks for RTM, it's a great tool.
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1. This would take RTM to the next level for me.
Posted 13 years ago
torfason says:
+1 This is another one that has been lingering for quite some time now. It would be great to see this one get implemented.
Posted 13 years ago
lillytryon says:
I'm a new user, and this would be a make/break feature for me as it is very important for me to track when a task was actually accomplished.
Posted 13 years ago
susana.barbosa says:
yes, pleeaaaaaaase!
Posted 13 years ago
pauljoeyd says:
Just wanted to voice my support for this feature. Very important for tracking productivity.
Posted 13 years ago
rdjrtm says:
I'm a new user and subscriber who just found out that I could *not* edit completion date/time. I'm an inveterate procrastinator and often clean up a day's completed items just after midnight. I would *greatly* appreciate being able to tweak the time stamp prior to the completion commit so (A) the items appear as completed on the correct date, and (B) so I don't have to go hunt down the generated repeats and correct their due dates.
Posted 13 years ago
devo.heller says:
As a user of several years, and one who also tends to mark items complete after midnight or the next morning, I would find the feature very useful. To me is the number one change I would make to RTM.
Posted 13 years ago
waters.jon says:
I would like support for this, sometimes the syncing between my phone and the website gets messed up and I have to re-complete a task or delete a task and re-add it, and then the completion date is screwed up.
Posted 13 years ago
vnt says:
+1 for being able to edit competed tasks. People have been asking for it for 5 years. Anybody knows why it's taking so long?
Posted 13 years ago
stevemoser says:
Another +1
Posted 12 years ago
marcellolamacchia says:
Me too I feel this need. I'm surprised by this lack: it is a restriction on freedom of action which weighs. I hope soon to be resolved ...
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yes please! Any update on this??
Posted 12 years ago
relevart says:
I would find this useful too!
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
Is it ever going to be implemented?
I see the first suggestion posted more than 5 years ago.
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
I too would prefer to be able to enter the date I completed the task. The way it works currently simply logs the day I clicked the task as completed - two very different things. Especially when we're talking about tasks that recur "after" the completion date.
Posted 12 years ago
rikhei says:
Just upgraded my account to pro. I'd love to see this feature.
Posted 12 years ago
ilyse.kazar says:
I'd also love to see this. Please let us edit completion dates, so often the end of the work day comes and I run into dinner/famiy/friends time, and sit down the next morning to mark off everything I completed towards the end of the prior day. I'd love to be able to not only edit one completion date, but to multi-edit as well.
Posted 12 years ago
1mwilliams23 says:
Being able to edit the completion date would be a great enhancement to RTM.
Posted 12 years ago
cdingui says:
This would definitely be a great move forward, to my opinion !!! I'm used to make a weekly report for my boss, and I have to keep this old Excel table to show due and completion dates... Thank you for all !
Posted 12 years ago
simon99 says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
sapabt says:
+1

This would be very handy, I think.

Posted 12 years ago
jbuntu says:
+1 please
Posted 11 years ago
rebknitz says:
Yes yes yes!
Posted 11 years ago
lisa.boggs says:
yes, it's a constant frustration for me not to be able to change the completion dates for record keeping purposes.
Posted 11 years ago
leopardhuff says:
yes please!
Posted 11 years ago
rikbjork says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
rsa_intrado says:
Very much so indeed, whole-heartedly.
Posted 11 years ago
clayton.blackburn says:
Yes, definitely. Can someone on staff explain what will be required to implement the change? Users should be informed if a change such as this is too expensive to implement in the foreseeable future.
Posted 11 years ago
alan.richomme says:
yes, good idea
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
I'd love this feature. And I just need it. When migrating from Things to RTM, I moved over completed tasks (a history of several years) over to RTM. They all got the today date stamp, thus loosing the historical perspective. Beeing tasks in projects, that are reviewed afterwards for educational purposes, it would be very handy to be able to alter the finished date stamp.
Posted 11 years ago
jakenkalman says:
please add the ability to change the completed date - i need this feature as well. I feel like it's really crucial for task management and performance tracking.
Posted 11 years ago
gozar says:
Wow, this thread was started over 6 years ago!

Yes, RTM needs to add the ability to edit the completed date!!
Posted 11 years ago
tveulemans says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
gordo.w says:
+ 1
Posted 11 years ago
sickanimations says:
+1e9
Posted 11 years ago
vleonty says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
xinnia.chang says:
+ 1 for changing completed date.
Posted 11 years ago
anemones says:
Would love to see this
Posted 11 years ago
alsy says:
I too would love to see this.
Posted 11 years ago
slkko says:
Please, add this for me ;(
Posted 11 years ago
gingrasnic says:
That would be great. I like RTM very much, but the lack of this feature is disappointing.Thank you
Posted 11 years ago
nbooker says:
Absolutely! Though the lack of this feature did trigger a new and good habit . . . check my lists nightly before going to bed, so I can check off anything done that day.
Posted 10 years ago
davidh.rtm says:
Yes! please add this...
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
Yes, it may sound odd but it's a useful feature.
Posted 10 years ago
veevandyke says:
I know this is old, but +1
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
That would be great. I like RTM very much, but the lack of this feature is disappointing.Thank you
Posted 10 years ago
aajax2 says:
I want this. I hate having misinformation. Right now, for critical items, I have to transcribe to my calendar if I want to know when something was done.
Posted 9 years ago
mark.timmer says:
Yes I would also like this!
Posted 8 years ago
fd4242 says:
Yes, this is a MUST HAVE
Posted 8 years ago
svelteness says:
How is this still not A Thing?
Posted 7 years ago
davidcmvi says:
+1
Posted 7 years ago
klarner says:
+1
Posted 7 years ago
jan.kerdel.net says:
I recently asked for this feature and apparently it has been asked for before (over 10 years??)
Very important for reporting and just having things correct in RTM.
Please help promoting this feature.
Posted 7 years ago
peter.jewell says:
Was just about to say the same thing.
Surely this would be a really easy fix?
But TEN YEARS TO IMPLEMENT?????

I frequently find that I have tasks that were completed days ago, or longer, so the 'completed' date is actually unhelpful.
Usually I have to add a note saying when I completed the task, which is plain silly!
Posted 7 years ago
yvetteguillory says:
I agree. Correct completion date is very important for accounting purposes and I imagine this app is widely used by accounting personnel.
Posted 7 years ago
amra84 says:
+1
Please please add this funcionality
Posted 7 years ago
shendl says:
I will add my voice to the list. I would find this an incredibly helpful tool. Sometimes I have to prove when I have done something. Having it correct in RTM would make looking for that proof much easier. Is there any possibility enough people have said they want this functionality yet? Or, if I just haven't figured out how to do it, please point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Posted 6 years ago
mnorris190 says:
This would be extremely helpful!
Posted 6 years ago
sofiaguyang says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
mgercke says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
krypticchewie says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
kirananand says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
yoerik.neirynck says:
Would be usefull for me to
Posted 6 years ago
agnescb says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
mrenne says:
+1!
Posted 6 years ago
mesmes says:
+1
Posted 6 years ago
chad.barber says:
Please add this feature. Would be extremely useful
Posted 6 years ago
sherry_zhou_98 says:
I think this would be really useful -- I sometimes wait to "Complete" a task after I've finished adding all my notes to them, but at that point, it's past the true completion date. Since you can only sort completed tasks by completed date, the tasks are then listed in an incorrect order and it's hard to find tasks that were truly completed recently versus just marked as completed recently
Posted 6 years ago
jkosmatka says:
Agreed. If I completed a task yesterday that repeats after 2 days, but I didn't mark it complete until today, it won't appear again until day after tomorrow.
Posted 5 years ago
sleekkat says:
Yes, add the ability to change completed date.
Posted 5 years ago
andrey.akinshin says:
+1
Posted 5 years ago
migloth says:
+1
There's a whole lot of feedback here that this would be a much appreciated and used feature. How much positive feedback does it take to get something implemented?
Posted 5 years ago
andrey.akinshin says:
Any updates?
Posted 5 years ago
rtmlibertad says:
+1 much needed for tracking when I can't cross things off as they are done.
Posted 5 years ago
andrey.akinshin says:
Any updates?
Posted 5 years ago
(closed account) says:
I accidentally uncompleted a task thinking I could correct the completion date/time. I was surprised I could not edit this field. Please change this.

I feel silly for responding to something that has been asked for twelve years.
Posted 5 years ago
richard.masters says:
Like the hundred or so customers above, I assumed that this was an existing function and to find it is not possible is very disappointing...
Posted 5 years ago
andrealynn says:
+1 Please!!!!!!
Posted 5 years ago
andrealynn says:
I am wondering if there is a better place to ask for this update, or is there another comparable app I might look at that can let me edit when a task was completed?
Posted 5 years ago
dan.collier says:
Does RTM take these feature requests seriously? Even an official NO response would be more appreciated over just silence. I love the product but this kind of lack of engagement with the community (or at least that's how it appears from my perspective) is disappointing.
Posted 4 years ago
ajw5141 says:
(+1) I picture the feature working something like this....When you mark a task as 'complete', a prompt appears asking you if you want the current day/time set OR you can select what day and time you want instead. That way, not only will you have a record of when something was ACTUALLY completed, reoccurring tasks would be generated with the next appropriate due date for that same task.

I was previously a pro member and would happily re-subscribe if features like this were included.
Posted 4 years ago
stoffman says:
Completely agree with dan.collier. A pretty trivial request for a feature made 12 YEARS ago and not follow up ever.
Posted 4 years ago
mattj says:
YES!
Posted 4 years ago
shinramyun says:
+1
Posted 3 years ago
renatt says:
useful function!
Posted 3 years ago
dmbenjsr says:
+1
Posted 3 years ago
grwleblanc says:
If you want me as a pro user you should implement this feature.
Posted 3 years ago
mammagetsitdone says:
17 years later and this still isn't a function of the app? I'm only 1 week invested into RTM but think I'm going back to Microsoft Outlook Tasks for this and a few other reasons.
Posted 3 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 3 years ago
kjh says:
+1
Posted 3 years ago
sean.lawrence says:
Also important for repeated tasks. If I do pushups today, but don't click "complete" under tomorrow, then I won't be prompted to do pushups tomorrow.
Posted 2 years ago
jspierre says:
There really is no excuse for not implementing this feature. This is extremely easy to do programmatically and would not harm any existing features by allowing us to change the completed date. People have been asking for this for 15+ years, and you still manage to charge me your outrageous fee every year...why can't you at least give us what we need to make your service actually useful?
Posted 2 years ago
roland.malaprade says:
+1
Posted 2 years ago
marlon.price says:
+1
Posted 2 years ago
(closed account) says:
I don't use my Pro membership very much, but this is one feature that I need. I can't believe that this suggestion thread has been open so long! Actually, I don't see much development in this product, and certainly not in the last 2 years. What is going on?
Posted 2 years ago
drcrelao says:
Count me in. So when?
Posted 2 years ago
(closed account) says:
(Copy of an email requesting support from a PRO user - me)

I love RTM for the most part - been a PRO user for years and promise priority support to PRO users. Let's see if you mean it.

A much-needed, and requested, feature has been repeated for the past 15+ years (with 132 public comments of support) is to be able to change the completed date - even if it is only a simple system.

Not only is it not added, but I didn't see any responses from the RTM team - ever. Maybe this is why 16 of the users requesting the feature are marked "(closed account)"? If there isn't a good response to this email, you might have another closed account. I'm not sure you listen to your users.

RTM has a lot of competition nowadays, and as a PRO user you promise priority support. So what's the story on this supported, and needed, feature?

I admire so much about RTM - but on this specific topic, you've been mute and unresponsive.
Posted 2 years ago
corky.wicks says:
Allowing editing of the completion date would be a great option, especially for tasks that are set to repeat after completion.
Posted 2 years ago
brianluff says:
I don't have high hopes that this is ever going to be done (can't understand why not) but I'll add my vote anyway. I really would like a simple ability to edit the date of completion of a task. As it stands, the system currently records the date that someone remembered to mark a task as completed.
Posted 1 year ago
miksmi says:
For accurate reports, an editable completion date is needed if one isn't using RTM daily. Does everyone update their task list when on vacation? Or when they're sick?

P.S. -- Props for not deleting a 17 year old-feature request.
Posted 4 months ago
johnmsch says:
Just can’t believe this still hasn’t been implemented yet!
Hey Bob - why do you keep ignoring this simple request?
Posted 12 weeks ago