Forums

Discuss all things Remember The Milk.

menu

Keyboard shortcut for 'move to list'

imonsei says:
Yes I'm a "keyboard > mouse" fantatic.
I think a keyboard shortcut for "move to list" would be a great addition.

An idea for this is:
1. push keyboard key for "move to list" with some items selected.
2. a list comes up with the names of your lists and they cursor placed in an empty field above/below the list. the top item represents the marked entry (different colour shade to denote perhaps)
3. as you type the list shrinks the entries to filter your input against the names in the list
4. you push enter when the marked entry matches the name of the list you want the selected items moved to.
5. the items are moved to that list

good/bad suggestion? easy/hard to implement?
Comments appreciated :)

Posted at 9:19am on April 17, 2009
Launched
emily (Remember The Milk) says:
We now have a keyboard shortcut for moving to a list ("m") with the new Remember The Milk.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this! :)
Posted 7 years ago
aljoscha says:
I second this request & would love to see this!
Posted 14 years ago
apgordon says:
+1

Would be happy defining a keyboard shortcut to always move to one set list, too. (I use my Inbox to brain dump and then move all tasks into my . list.) Thanks, RTM'ers!
Posted 14 years ago
buckbrody says:
In firefox, I was able to do something similar using the script below and autohotkey:

WinWait, Remember The Milk - William's Tasks - Mozilla Firefox,
IfWinNotActive, Remember The Milk - William's Tasks - Mozilla Firefox, , WinActivate, Remember The Milk - William's Tasks - Mozilla Firefox,
WinWaitActive, Remember The Milk - William's Tasks - Mozilla Firefox,
MouseClick, left, 92, 385
Sleep, 100
Send, 'over{SHIFTDOWN}{TAB 4}{SHIFTUP}{DOWN 20}{UP}

Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
If you use the A Bit Better RTM Greasemonkey script, you can do this. Just a bit of javascript. I suppose you could use the script, and edit out everything about the layout changes to just get the keyboard shortcuts. Or maybe the developer of that script could release it as it's own standalone script.

But having the shortcuts integrated into the actual site would be great too.
Posted 14 years ago
amoslemi says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
amoslemi says:
there is a grease monkey script that takes this from a bit better RTM but it has yet to be updated to include ctrl a. Note both lack google search style filtering/suggestions base on most used
Posted 14 years ago
jaelms says:
+1

Considering you can use keyboard shortcuts to do so much I can't believe that this isn't already built in. Currently it is such a hassle to put a task in a list, this would be a huge time saver.
Posted 14 years ago
dmccall says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
globcos says:
i Would be happy defining a keyboard shortcut to always move to one set list and i have a short cut too for minimising all the program with number of windows. that is (Window key+M)
Posted 14 years ago
rod.satterwhite says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
(closed account) says:
Very much needed, but smart add does help, now we just need a smart add box to float on our desktops for quick entry. It has to be a "smart" smart add box that populates as you type, like in the full RTM site, not a gadget that just reads the tags.
Posted 14 years ago
moyn2000 says:
Yup, would really like this feature too!

OR, a drag and drop ala some of the recent changes in Gmail for labels... but actually a shortcut key would be fine.

Posted 14 years ago
jesmithiv says:
I would also love a keyboard shortcut to move tasks to a different list. I often dump tasks into my inbox, then come back and organize them later. I use tagging, but I also use lists. I would love to be able to quickly move tasks from my inbox to various lists without having to click the drop down menu. Thanks!
Posted 14 years ago
ferdinandes says:
I am using keyboard shortcuts for 10 minutes now, but am already desperate to get this shortcuts. Something like 'm' for move and then type the beginning of the list.

Now i'm thinking about changing lists for tags... (works also in Astrid)
Posted 14 years ago
mattipaksula says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
themeaton says:
+ 1
Posted 14 years ago
sjsrey says:
+1 why hasn't this been done yet?
Posted 14 years ago
vortechs2000 says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
ekku says:
+1
Posted 14 years ago
jake.solomon says:
+10
Posted 14 years ago
alexbepple says:
+100
Posted 13 years ago
sebjac says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
koshian says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
cmemery says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
braimee says:
+6.5
Posted 13 years ago
taltos1 says:
Do want! I have been thinking about this for months.
Posted 13 years ago
chrispaton says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
sgrimee says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
scolestock says:
+2
Posted 13 years ago
scolestock says:
A good implementation would be to just have the "." character drop down the more actions menu, just like in gmail.
Posted 13 years ago
webkenny says:
This is a serious hot button. You really need to consider implementing something like this. It's impossible to quickly dispatch items in the Inbox without this feature.

+1000^1000
Posted 13 years ago
dominic.spachmann says:
maybe this solution is easier to implement:
you could make three lists configurable as the "top lists" to which tasks can be added by e.g. Ctrl + 1/2/3.
Posted 13 years ago
pcjabber says:
+1. The Greasemonkey script looks promising (thanks, funkeye!) but it won't work with Safari (obviously), so built-in functionality would be awesome!
Posted 13 years ago
tog22 says:
++
Posted 13 years ago
(closed account) says:
+2
Posted 13 years ago
iast says:
+1

I'm trying to start working with RTM with GTD in mind ( as described in http://blog.rememberthemilk.com/2008/05/guest-post-advanced-gtd-with-remember-the-milk/ ). And according to GTD *everything* that goes into the system will go into the Inbox first. Then will be processed and distributed among other lists.

So in my case the fast and convenient way of moving tasks between lists is a very needed feature.
Posted 13 years ago
msturm says:
Please, can this feature implemented? It is probably the most used action by me, and there is no keyboardshortcut for it...
Posted 13 years ago
dgmckenna says:
Please develop this, it would be the most used hotkey out there aside from up and down
Posted 13 years ago
rapsli2 says:
just one more please...
Posted 13 years ago
felixc says:
+1

I don't understand why this keeps coming up as users have asked for it again and again.

The biggest reason I like RTM is the keyboard shortcuts. You can do just about everything else with the keyboard so this just seems like a glaring omission.

Posted 13 years ago
dominic.spachmann says:
Hi everybody,
"A Bit better RTM" for Firefox will do the job (turn off the task count as it slows down the whole computer)
Regards,
Dominic
Posted 13 years ago
danbrett says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
nick.henry says:
+1

Seems like a pretty basic feature.
Posted 13 years ago
mcavaliere says:
+1
Posted 13 years ago
dmccall says:
I only need to move items from the Inbox to my Task list, but this AutoHotkey does the trick. More specifically upon Ctrl-m it moves the selected tasks to the item listed second under "Move to...", and only works in Firefox.

^m::
send ^k
sleep 300
send {TAB 27}
sleep 300
send {DOWN 12}
sleep 300
send {Enter}
return

Hope this helps!
Posted 13 years ago
jrdioko says:
Looked in the list of shortcuts and couldn't believe this wasn't in there. Hard to use the keyboard for task management with this one missing...
Posted 12 years ago
xuanlong.ma says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
daveremy says:
+1 Please!?
Posted 12 years ago
hajdi says:
+9999999999999999999
Posted 12 years ago
vamshikk says:
'a bit better rtm' script does it
Posted 12 years ago
willreichl says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
andrewkvalheim says:
The workaround implemented as a Google Chrome extension:

A Bit Better RTM for Google Chrome
Small improvements for Remember The Milk interface
Posted 12 years ago
cuchulain2011 says:
Andrew: Thank you very much, helped me a lot !!! =)
Posted 12 years ago
audun.hvenekilde says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
aogusidu99 says:
Ctrl M works!
why nobody mentioned that? It took much time for me to find out it.
For your guys reference.
Posted 12 years ago
smansky says:
+2
Posted 12 years ago
(closed account) says:
+2
Posted 12 years ago
gonzofy says:
Oh man, this is BY FAR the biggest problem in using the mobile app. I often record TODO items on my Android, but then have to organize them next time I'm at a keyboard (they all go to Inbox by default). Moving items around without keyboard shortcuts sucks.
Posted 12 years ago
aefox says:
+2
Posted 12 years ago
moyn2000 says:
Still want a keyboard shortcut to move to another list -- even to bring up the move menu and choose the list
Posted 12 years ago
mpweb says:
+2, retweet, and like...shouldn't have to use an extension
Posted 12 years ago
exoticabazaar says:
Please develop this, it would be the most used hotkey out there aside from up and down

Posted 12 years ago
csaba_nagy says:
+2
+infinity

The fact that people have figured out alternative (and complex for non-programmers) ways to get around this problem is a sign that a solution is well overdue. (Another sign is that this request thread is 2 years old.) The simplest solution is to replicate how the tag shortcut works.
Posted 12 years ago
me1er says:
+1
Posted 12 years ago
whiteroomsolutions says:
+1 - please, or I'm going to go mad
Posted 12 years ago
bitozoid says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
mqheel says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
kkaland says:
This keyboard shortcut would really seal the deal and make it possible to use the keyboard for all essential tasks. It's the missing link!

Another way to do it could just be to add a List field to the list of fields, or allow putting one list into the tags like you do in Smart Add.
Posted 11 years ago
williamdsnow says:
I have wanted this since day-one also. The top-three list idea by dominic.spachmann is a good proposal.
Posted 11 years ago
m_hersee says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
darkfighter says:
+1!
Posted 11 years ago
manu.raghavan says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
aroundall says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
btcdarius says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
michael.sloggett says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
trevor.welch says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
benol says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
chshi says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
stevehanlon says:
+1 - using RTM within Fluid on a mac, so firefox, chrome options don't work. Something within the system would really make things much easier.
Posted 11 years ago
rbuch says:
+1
Posted 11 years ago
preislerd says:
I just joined and this was the first "idea in forum" I looked for. How is this not already implemented!@#? It could work just like tags but be for your list labels...!!!

+1
Posted 11 years ago
vdbijl says:
+1, this would really help, it's one of the things I do a lot
Posted 11 years ago
steeeeeve says:
+2!
Posted 11 years ago
ingjardt says:
+1. Personally, I hardly ever use the "non-smart" lists. The only reason I would like this feature is since all items are required to have a list, and I would like this feature for clearing out the default/inbox list (I only have a Inbox and a "notinbox" list, all other sorting is done with tags and locations)
Posted 11 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1

Someone may have already said it, but as well as fast (ie: single key) move-to-list shortcut, I really want to be able to define a single key to be 'move-to-list-x' (ie: letter defined at the list level)
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
Agreed. +1
Posted 10 years ago
splonge says:
+1

Sometimes I bcc my account when I reply to an email to create a new task and don't want to have a weird subject line. This would make moving them to the appropriate list a lot quicker.
Posted 10 years ago
raseesink says:
+1

Shortcuts are incomplete now...
Posted 10 years ago
bernd.schiffer says:
+1 (actually +1000…)
Posted 10 years ago
dmuskatel says:
so many of us use other keyboards (Swiftkey, lastpass, etc) I don't think this is worth the development time.
Posted 10 years ago
a.aresca says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
(closed account) says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
jonathan.dueck says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
mhensbroek says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
isaacab says:
+1... PLEASE!
Posted 10 years ago
rairmet says:
+1
Posted 10 years ago
kofujii says:
+1, definitely.
Posted 10 years ago
javier.arilos says:
+1. please, add it :-)
Posted 10 years ago
nicholasemay says:
+1
I would love to be able to quickly triage all of the incoming tasks in my Inbox this way. However, I can work around this most of the time using SmartAdd -- however moving items between lists is clunky enough as is; a keyboard shortcut is long overdue. Is there a technical limitation preventing this?
Posted 10 years ago
susan.odom says:
I'm trying to figure out how to move a task to a another list with a shortcut key. I accidentally saw it the other day and did not notice what crazy set of keystrokes I made to do it!?!!!
Posted 10 years ago
ledhed2222 says:
This would be huge. I love to dump tasks into my Inbox throughout the day via email, Siri, and mobile apps. I frequently triage those tasks to different lists from the Inbox. Using my mouse to do so is annoying.
Posted 9 years ago
vamshikk says:
FYI - 'a bit better rtm' plugin for Chrome and Firefox adds this functionality and much more. I would still like this to be part of the standard interface though.
Posted 9 years ago
You cannot comment on this idea as it is locked.